PDA

View Full Version : 90% of guns in Mexico come from the US?

heijutsu
03-29-09, 09:56
So according to Face the Nation, 90% of the guns in Mexico come from the US. Anybody got any facts on this? Could these guns be ones we supplied to the Mexican military and police forces that then go to the criminals?

VooDoo6Actual
03-29-09, 10:14
"They must find it difficult, those that take authority as truth, instead of truth as the authority"...

R/Tdrvr
03-29-09, 10:49
IF that is true (I doubt it is), how much of that 90% came from the U.S. supplied Mexican military and law enforcement? :rolleyes: There has to be a reason the Mexican gov. won't give the BATF serial numbers of confiscated weapons.

Things that make you go hmmm....

Gutshot John
03-29-09, 10:54
Since the US is one of the top firearms manufacturers in the world, it wouldn't surprise me that 90% were manufactured here though even that I find dubious.

The question is whether 90% were purchased legally by civilians in gun stores and then transferred to the cartels.

A big enough difference that you could march an entire division through the gap.

If the Mexican government won't give serial numbers to the BATF, than there is no way to verify or discredit the statistic.

Until then it's guesswork.

HES
03-29-09, 10:54
Check out this (http://www.gunnewsdaily.com/rw807.html) article.

miko
03-29-09, 15:17
Why would the mexican drug cartel want semiauto weapons.
edit Oops I should have read the previous post first

bkb0000
03-29-09, 15:26
90% of the serial numbers the mexican government gives the ATF have US origins- they only give the ATF a fraction of the serial numbers they have.

Knownot
03-29-09, 15:57
So according to Face the Nation, 90% of the guns in Mexico come from the US. Anybody got any facts on this? Could these guns be ones we supplied to the Mexican military and police forces that then go to the criminals?

How do you differentiate between the Mexican military and police forces and criminals? Aren't they all criminals for the most part?

John Frazer
03-29-09, 18:02
90% of the serial numbers the mexican government gives the ATF have US origins- they only give the ATF a fraction of the serial numbers they have.

Exactly.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-29-09, 18:31
I assume that you can tell when a gun has come from, or been thru, the US? I don't own an AK derivitive, but my H&K PSP has the name of the importer.

Turn the number around, calculate it by the total mumber that are found 'from the US' divided by the total number. That will be a small number. 90% means that they didn't get them all fixed.

Iraqgunz
03-29-09, 18:56
I was just reading the pdf file of the testimony given by the BATFE in this matter. What the report said was that 90% of the weapons that were submitted by the Mexican authorities to the U.S to be traced were of U.S origin. With many coming from Texas, California and Arizona. In other words a sample of the weapons submitted and not 90% of all the weapons seized.

I am especially perplexed about the California angle especially since there is a 10 day wait as well as a background check. I would also be curious to know how many of the weapons though they may have originated in these states were stolen. Just recently a large gun store in San Jose, CA had over 100 firearms taken in less than 5 minutes.

ZDL
03-29-09, 19:00

ding!

mmike87
03-29-09, 19:09
We're just returning the favor since 90% of the illegal immigrants come from Mexico.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-29-09, 21:14
I was just reading the pdf file of the testimony given by the BATFE in this matter. What the report said was that 90% of the weapons that were submitted by the Mexican authorities to the U.S to be traced were of U.S origin. With many coming from Texas, California and Arizona. In other words a sample of the weapons submitted and not 90% of all the weapons seized.

I am especially perplexed about the California angle especially since there is a 10 day wait as well as a background check. I would also be curious to know how many of the weapons though they may have originated in these states were stolen. Just recently a large gun store in San Jose, CA had over 100 firearms taken in less than 5 minutes.

When guns start showing up in Mexico wiht the funky stocks and goofy mag release buttons, that's when I'll believe that the guns are coming from CA.

This is how we loose our 50 cal rifles.

Iraqgunz
03-30-09, 06:44
My guess is that they are possibly referring to handguns, but no one is giving any real details and I would love to see an independent commission with oversight from informed people within the gun community on there so we can find out first hand what is what. I am dubious of any of the numbers that are touted as I believe that all sides are not showing the full picture.

When guns start showing up in Mexico wiht the funky stocks and goofy mag release buttons, that's when I'll believe that the guns are coming from CA.

This is how we loose our 50 cal rifles.

Rider79
03-30-09, 09:19
We're just returning the favor since 90% of the illegal immigrants come from Mexico.

Laughed out loud at this one. :D

Mjolnir
03-30-09, 16:41
We've been led to believe that the majority of their long guns are full auto. If this is the "90%" they refer to then I question what weapons are being stolen from military bases and what element of what agencies may be involved.

Russia had been supplying smallarms to Mexico throughout the 80's and 90's. I'm not sure if that has still been ongoing.

R/Tdrvr
03-30-09, 18:28

Yeah, I wonder why? Maybe because some of the so called "illegally smuggled weapons" that the cartels have possibly come from corrupt members in the Mexican military and law enforcement.

R/Tdrvr
03-30-09, 19:30
Well, looks like that ****tard Kerry is jumping on the bandwagon. :rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/30/kerry-mexico-failed-state/

ZDL
03-30-09, 20:27
Well, looks like that ****tard Kerry is jumping on the bandwagon. :rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/30/kerry-mexico-failed-state/

His answer to violence in Mexico is to not secure the border and disarm Americans..... How in the mother loving **** is the guy allowed to steal oxygen?

losbronces
03-30-09, 22:22
My take on this is that 90% of the guns for which the Mexican government submits the information to the U.S. government come from the U.S. This is not the same as saying that 90% of the guns used by the drug gangs come from the U.S.

I am fairly certain that the Mexicans submit only the information from those weapons that were likely sourced in the U.S. When I see full auto weapons, grenades, RPGs, machine guns, etc., I know those weren't likely to have been sourced from the U.S. There are so many sources available to people with the money, mobility and government connections (and not just to the Mexican government) of the drug gangs, that they don't need to rely on stuff coming in from the U.S. Mexican drug gangs are becoming a problem throughout Latin America.

I've already pointed out in previous posts potential sources of weapons in Latin America that would be much easier and cheaper to come by for these drug gangs.

Saginaw79
03-30-09, 23:07
"They must find it difficult, those that take authority as truth, instead of truth as the authority"...

Excellent quote!