PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a fair trade?

phixion
03-29-09, 11:07
While I tell myself I will regret selling/trading any firearm, I still entertain the idea.

I have a Sig P6 (3/80 i believe) with 6 factory magazines (2 used that came with gun, 1 like new which has had 16 rounds through it and 3 still in packaging). Light holster wear, great internals etc. I also have a set of Pachmayr rubber grips.

I am interested in a S&W 642 for pocket carry (without internal lock). Would that be a fair trade?

Aside from the P6, I only have a XD9SC. I am looking to get a 642 to carry for the times when my XD isn't "ideal" (quick run to the store etc.).

The P6 would really only be used as a range gun. I figure its best if I grab the guns I "need" before I get guns that I want. Also, it seems as if the 642's w/o internal lock are getting harder to find by the day. I know you can remove the lock but I would prefer to buy one that didn't have it in the first place.

I am pondering this because I don't see how I'll be able to afford a new gun in the near future.

So, do you think this is a fair trade? If I sell the P6, could I get enough to buy a 642 w/o lock outright?

*Never sold a gun before so don't bust my balls too much.
*Hope this post is okay in this particular forum.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MMG
03-29-09, 11:53
When the P6s were being imported en masse, you could easily pick one up for ~ $299. I did though mine's basically a holster wear with a P6 under it :D. 642s go for ~$350 - $400. I don't know what you paid for your P6 but being an '80 model, I'd suspect that it is a West German Sig. To me, that increases its value since I lived there and it no longer exists. Still, with all the additional mags you have, my guess is that you might be losing some dollars but not a lot.

Only you can decide if this is a deal you wish to make but financially, IMO, you wouldn't be doing all that bad.

gtmtnbiker98
03-29-09, 11:55
Given your cirumstance, I would make the trade. The 642 would serve a useful purpose in your collection. Go for it.

Eliakim
03-30-09, 18:35
It sounds like a good trade to me.

SIGs are nice, but the S&W 642 is a very practical, reliable, small revolver for 24/7 carry.

tpd223
04-01-09, 03:23
I would do so as well.

The 642 fills a niche that everyone who carries concealed likely needs a gun for.

Caeser25
04-02-09, 17:41
If the p6 is only a range gun to you and the 642 would be a carry gun for you then it would be a fair trade b/c you'd be filling a more useful slot in your arsenal. I wouldn't get rid of it though.

If you do get rid of it, watcha gon do with those mags?

MMG
04-02-09, 18:52
If the p6 is only a range gun to you and the 642 would be a carry gun for you then it would be a fair trade b/c you'd be filling a more useful slot in your arsenal. I wouldn't get rid of it though.

If you do get rid of it, watcha gon do with those mags?
Sell a couple of the new one's to me perhaps?