PDA

View Full Version : Trimming hammer spring?

Mr.Goodtimes
03-29-09, 12:50
would it be a potentially disasterous idea to trim the hammer spring on my beretta 92fs to lighten up the trigger a little? if so i would order some wolff springs or a "D" spring, however, i thought about mabey exploring this idea first?

Mo_Zam_Beek
03-29-09, 12:58
It has been years since I have shot with a Burrito (G E2 and SB) but I seem to recall that the trigger mod is done by swapping for a G spring. At the time I seem to recall that this was a pretty common practice.

It has been years so I could be wrong.

Good luck

ToddG
03-29-09, 13:39
F and G models use the same spring. The only exception was the Elite II, which was a G model using the lighter D spring.

I'd highly recommend using a properly designed and manufactured D spring rather than simply trimming coils off a standard F spring.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-29-09, 13:46
F and G models use the same spring. The only exception was the Elite II, which was a G model using the lighter D spring.

I'd highly recommend using a properly designed and manufactured D spring rather than simply trimming coils off a standard F spring.

Will do, im just gonna leave it alone and get a D spring. will this make the trigger pull comparable to a sig?

ToddG
03-29-09, 14:05
It will be better than some SIGs and worse than others. A brand new Beretta with a brand new D spring is not going to be as smooth as a well worn SIG, or vice versa.

The only thing the D spring will do is reduce the trigger pull weight. It will have an immediate, noticeable effect.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-29-09, 14:07
cool cool. so the more i shoot it the better it will start to feel? i agree about a well worn sigs trigger, my dads 18 year old sig 226 has an incredible trigger on it.

ToddG
03-29-09, 14:11
Yes, as you shoot the gun many of the internal parts (trigger bar, sear, hammer, spur) will begin to polish themselves against one another. This reduces friction and improves the general "feel" of the trigger.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-29-09, 14:15
awesome thats good to hear! todd, would the 16lb hammer spring from Wolff work well in place of the "D" spring? im ordering a 15lb recoil spring from them and from what i understand, they make good stuff.

ToddG
03-29-09, 14:25
It's been too long since I played with Beretta hammer springs, I cannot remember what the rating was on the 'D' ... but I wouldn't go lighter than that for a duty/carry gun. We used to put Cougar F springs, which are even lighter, in our guns but you'd have to change the spring every few thousand rounds to guarantee 100% ignition, especially with harder primers.

You might want to check out Berettaforum.net, you can probably get a metric ton of detailed, experienced responses.

Mr.Goodtimes
03-29-09, 14:27
will do, thx todd.

Buck
03-29-09, 16:59
The 92 is my issued pistol and a little bird once told me the if you swap a factory Colt 1911 main spring for the original Beretta spring it works wonders on the 92...

YMMV

B

Mr.Goodtimes
03-29-09, 18:02
The 92 is my issued pistol and a little bird once told me the if you swap a factory Colt 1911 main spring for the original Beretta spring it works wonders on the 92...

YMMV

B

buck ive herd this as well, however, i believe that its a 19lb spring.. would this hinder the reliable operation of the weapon with anything less than plus p ammo?

5pins
03-29-09, 18:51

YMMV

B

I tried this once and had a lot of misfires. Yes it did work wonders on the trigger pull, but a lot of good it will do if the gun goes click instead of bang.