PDA

View Full Version : S&B Short Dot

KevinB
01-05-07, 05:22
I paid less for my 2nd and 3rd Short Dot than I did for my NF 1-4...

I brought my 3rd over here for GY so he is not out of place on our team and long term 'brother' of mine took my second (actually my first) Short Dot to Afghanistan with him when he went back after being partially blowup by a Suicide Bicyclist.

Would I buy one if I where not in harms way -- I dont know - depends I guess on what sort of job I had that I could get away with spending that much on an optic. Most armed civilians will not need the ability to detect and discriminate, or engage targets at the ranges that the Short Dot offers over an EOTECH or Aimpoint.

ashooter
01-10-07, 13:17
I've tried the Short Dot, Aimpoints, ACOG TA01/TA11/TA31, EOTech, Nightforce 1-4 and 2.5-10... My opinion is that the Short Dot is the ONLY "one-size-fits-all" optic available at any price. It's not perfect for "CQB", but it's 98% Aimpoint fast. It's not perfect for 200-300 yard shots because of that blue haze, but it's at least as good as an ACOG.

That said, I sold my Short Dot because I really didn't NEED a "one-size-fits-all" optic. I had one M4 type carbine that I used for 0-100 shooting and a "recon" type carbine I used primarily for 100yds+. The Short Dot for me was overkill. If they pass a "one assault carbine per household" law, I'll get rid of everything else and buy another Short Dot.

As far as price, if you tally up the price of an Aimpoint and an ACOG, plus LaRue mounts for both, you're not really too far away from the price of a Short Dot.

Submariner
01-10-07, 18:09
Would I buy one if I where not in harms way -- I dont know - depends I guess on what sort of job I had that I could get away with spending that much on an optic. Most armed civilians will not need the ability to detect and discriminate, or engage targets at the ranges that the Short Dot offers over an EOTECH or Aimpoint.

Now there is a cold dose of reality! And probably the truth.

As far as price, if you tally up the price of an Aimpoint and an ACOG, plus LaRue mounts for both, you're not really too far away from the price of a Short Dot.

That sorta' depends on how much you pay for the Aimpoint, ACOG and LaRue mounts.:D Never pay retail. Right, Harv? Great warranties from superb companies reduces the risk of buying pre-owned gear for the bottom-feeders amongst us.

That said, maybe one of our Aimpoints will go down and one of us will get a shot at one of Pat's loaners. Hasn't happened in four years. Maybe this this year.

Voodoochild
01-19-07, 17:57
What are the main differences between the Gen I and the Gen II?

jmart
01-19-07, 18:06
1st vs 2nd plane reticule comes to mind. Not sure what else.

MerQ
01-19-07, 18:10
1st vs 2nd plane reticule comes to mind. Not sure what else.

20mm v. 24mm objectives and I believe the SD2 will be $100 cheapers if I read correctly.

KevinB
01-19-07, 18:13
They are both 1st Plane

GenI does not have locking turrets -- but coems with 4 replaceable BCD rings for the turret.
GenII has locking turrets while non factory replacement BCD
(unless you know people)

Gen 1 versus Gen II
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq/KevandRedsRecces.jpg

I missed SHOT this year -- but I knwo last year they where talking of a GenIII

jmart
01-19-07, 18:26
They are both 1st Plane

Did something change? I was going by this. (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=30040&page=&fpart=1&vc=1)

VA_Dinger
01-19-07, 18:35
It does get confusing.

Both the original Short Dot GenII & I are first focal plane. The only real difference between them is the locking turrets on the GenII.

It's the "Short Dot II" that’s in the second focal plane. I think it's actually called the 1.1-4x24 Zenith Short Dot LE now because it really has more in common with Schmidt Bender's 1.1-4x Zenith line than it does the original Short Dot.

Voodoochild
01-19-07, 19:11
So you can only shoot certain rounds with this scope? 75 grain tap 77 grain BH and M855 and M118? Am I reading that right or no.

VA_Dinger
01-19-07, 19:34
So you can only shoot certain rounds with this scope? 75 grain tap 77 grain BH and M855 and M118? Am I reading that right or no.

S&B has changeable BDC cams for 5.56mm M855 green tip & 75 gr Hornady and 7.62mm M118LR for 16 and 20 inch barrel SR 25's.

Voodoochild
01-19-07, 19:43
Interesting what about 55 grain stuff like XM193 or non 5.56 rounds?

KevinB
01-19-07, 20:12
Why - no Gov't user.

My M118LR 16" cam tracks the Mk262 16" I have to a near T

Voodoochild
01-19-07, 20:17
Why - no Gov't user.

My M118LR 16" cam tracks the Mk262 16" I have to a near T

No I am not Gov't just an average Joe but was just wondering if it was setup just for certain loads like Mk262 or TAP or could you shoot anything with it.

55Kingpin
01-19-07, 20:27
No I am not Gov't just an average Joe but was just wondering if it was setup just for certain loads like Mk262 or TAP or could you shoot anything with it.

I believe Kevin meant that there is no Gov. user for the 55 gr. projectile, and the Short Dot is in service with a greater number of Gov. users than civies (and probably will be indefinitely).

You can shoot whatever you want, but the cams make it easier to adjust dope on longer shoots for your specific load and barrel length.

VA_Dinger
01-19-07, 20:29

IMO: The M855 cam works just fine for 55 grain M193, Q3131, ETC.

I actually sighted mine in and shot it for a while with a .308 M118LR 16" cam installed by mistake (Thats how mine came from the factory). I did not even notice it. It’s embarrassing to have that pointed out to you in a class by the way. I got lucky in that we never went past 200 yards so I just stuck to the red dot. Even though I have the correct M855 cam installed now, I've still never used it with anything more than 55-grain ammo.

Voodoochild
01-19-07, 20:30
You lost me there kingpin I was wondering if you could shoot different loads through it like XM193 or Radway since it is 62gr or basically any round. Just trying to get a feel for what this scope is capable of when it comes to different rounds.

55Kingpin
01-19-07, 20:33
You lost me there kingpin I was wondering if you could shoot different loads through it like XM193 or Radway since it is 62gr or basically any round. Just trying to get a feel for what this scope is capable of when it comes to different rounds.

Did Dinger's post straighten you out?