PDA

View Full Version : Rucksacks

Outlander Systems
03-29-09, 20:20
What's everyone toting for a ruck?

I should point out that I have very little experience with "Civilian" rucks, whatsoever. I'd probably be likely to consider one if they came in colours other than "Brass Me! Red" or "Antiflage Queegy Blue". The colour schemes suck, the material is wafer-thin and begging to be ripped by any type of hard-use (10D Nylon anyone?), lack of external pockets, I could go on and on.

I'm probably going to upgrade from my frameless pack, to something a bit bigger, since without a frame, the weight tends to shift downward and rearward, regardless of how it's packed. It'll make a good day-hike bag, but for my extended backpacking and bugout needs, it ain't gonna cut the mustard.

I'm runnin' outta space - quick.

Gutshot John
03-29-09, 21:30
I've always been very partial to Kelty packs. I have an external frame that while obsolete is still in excellent shape despite nearly three decades of pretty significant use (boy scouts, hunting, extended camping, backpacked through Europe etc.). Aluminum frame, mesh backing, one large main compartment, two smaller pockets, maybe 3000CU.

I've recently upgraded to the "Trekker" but I've not used it anywhere near as hard nor as long but it's really nice and has place for hydration.

Kifaru seems to have a lot of admirers, but I think there are better ways to spend $500-700.

Avoid the ALICE pack as something akin to an Iron Maiden Torture device though there are upgrades available.

citizensoldier16
03-29-09, 22:06
+1 on Kelty. The North Face makes good stuff too. I have a few of their packs and bags. They're very rugged and come with a good warranty.

Outlander Systems
03-29-09, 23:09
-1 to the ALICE. I didn't enjoy it one bit.

Hayduke
03-30-09, 17:26
any of the older Dana Designs packs will have amazing durability and a strong frame for loads, Dana is now making packs again under the Mystery Ranch name and they are $$.

Granite Gear & Mountain Smith are two other brands to check out.

my "under 20lbs" rucksack is an Eagle RAID with the framesheet and having seen the $100 models that Lightfighter is making now the older Eagle's have a better zipper and more stitching in critical areas. plus with all the MOLLE webbing i can add gear as needed. once my load moves up, however, i opt for my Dana Bridger or Terraplane for all day carrying comfort.

Bighead
03-30-09, 17:33
I have a Mystery Ranch 3-day assault pack from my AD days I use for weekend trips and use Kelty MAP 3500s for vehicle bags (BoB). I also have a couple of big Dana Design (pre-Mystery Ranch) and Arcteryx packs I can choose from for extended trips.

RogerinTPA
03-30-09, 19:31
Lightfighter RAID pack by ATS. An excellent value, very well constructed 3 day pack with lots of room. With additional side pouches, it can easily be a 4-5 day pack. Still $99.00.:cool:
http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-1063

Vic303
03-31-09, 08:42
I have an older Dana for my 'big pack', from back when they were made in Montana. For the BOB I have a Mountainsmith Approach II, in rust/gray that works well.

Littlelebowski
03-31-09, 10:30
You can make an ALICE comfortable easily.

dave5339
03-31-09, 20:08
I am more than happy with my Camelbak Motherload in coyote.

It's well made to the point of being overbuilt, can haul enough gear to make a nice bugout bag and still be comfortable.

Hunt around on fleabay and they can be had for reasonable.

Semper Fi

RogerinTPA
03-31-09, 20:28

Agreed. I still have mine (Large)....heavily modded for comfort. I've had it loaded up to 100lbs, but you wouldn't want to carry the GD thing with that much weight. You can buy them cheap online. Get the SF shoulder straps (which are better padded) and you should be GTG. Or send it to tactical tailor and get it modded with fastex buckles and extra pouches.

Outlander Systems
03-31-09, 21:34
Decided on a "gap-filler".

I was originally considering the ALICE with comfort upgrades, then leaning towards the TT MALICE pack, then looking at some of the Kifaru stuff.

I pushed the "buy" button on a CFP-90. I think this'll fit the bill.

I went over every pack at REI, and saw absolutely nothing that would've worked for me. A local shop had some CFP-90s in black, but I wanted a different flavour, so-to-speak, so I SO'd a Woodland version.

My current pack is f'in exploding with gear, and the weight is beginning to pull the frameless pack in some bad ways, making the load difficult to bear. I'd considered ditching some stuff, but I feel like everything I've currently got is "bare essentials", and I still have other needed kit that hasn't been procured yet.

RWBlue
04-01-09, 09:27
I have and use a CFP-90 with add a pack. It has served me for many years. It is very well built and heavy because of it. If I had to live out of my pack for several years this is the pack I would take.

But it is not the pack I want, when I need to make distance and blen in with others. I am still looking for a MUCH lighter weight, dark tan, internal frame pack that will work with a vest on.

Dave L.
04-01-09, 11:44
Kifaru makes the best hard use packs on the planet. They are heavy, but worth every penny.

LittleRedToyota
04-01-09, 12:14
i use an REI Lookout pack for my BOB (which i also use for general backpacking).

it is far and away the best pack i have ever owned for me. i can hump that thing all day long through rough terrain and forget it is even there. i don't know if others would have the same experience with it or not, though. it might be that it just fits my body very well.

unforunately, though, REI changed the design of the Lookout pack a couple of years ago much for the worse, imho. but, if you can find one that is 3+ years old, i think they are great packs.

i also have/had other good packs made by kelty, osprey, and the north face.

Iraq Ninja
04-01-09, 14:02

+1

To me, the Alice is the GLOCK of rucksacks. I use a TT MALICE and plan to upgrade to a Mystery Ranch frame.

K.L. Davis
04-01-09, 14:18
I went by the TMS booth a half dozen times at SHOT to get a CRATOS Panel (http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/07/products/product_detail.php?pic_id=164&prod_id=28&pageNum_get_pics=0&totalRows_get_pics=2), but never caught them at the booth (or I got ambushed by Troy, who was like two booths over).

I would say that the CRATOS is a must have item for the ALICE owner.

Cold Zero
07-25-09, 18:20
+1 on Kelty. The North Face makes good stuff too. I have a few of their packs and bags. They're very rugged and come with a good warranty.

The NF is now owned by a cosmetics company. Their warranty is not worth the paper it is writtten on. I have blown out two different models of NF packs. Ask me if there will be a third?:rolleyes:

Mystery Ranch is top quality mountaineering grade packs. Kifaru is also excellent, but a little on the heavy side. Great for tactical ops, not as good for climbing and hiking, there are lighter things on the market. They also have great customer support, unlike TNF.

If you want light weight, guaranteed for life, bombproof external frame packs take a look at Frontier gear. You get what you pay for.

kmrtnsn
07-25-09, 18:36
I have a ten year old Camelbak TransAlp in dark green and grey that has served well for a decade. Great "field" colors that looks "normal" and non descript in a civilian environment.

Hellbilly
07-26-09, 00:24
Mystery Ranch Cerberus pack .

ryanm
07-26-09, 20:19
Tadgear or Eberlestock are great as well.

I have the following in Multicam with a variety of molle attach pouches.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/packs%20main/f_a_s_t__pack_alpha.htm

I have the G4 in coyote.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Tactical%20Master.htm

TAG has also never let me down, and I have at least one of every pack they make as well as pretty much every pouch and accessory. The lead times can be a little long, but thats my only knock on their stuff. I usually wait until they have a 40-50% of sale and then buy a truck load of it.

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=10