PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto builds?

kwelz
03-29-09, 23:42
I don't mean the normal Frankenbuilds. We have all done those.
I just finished building a rifle out of the spare parts I had sitting in my workshop. Literally the only part I didn't have on hand was the grip and that is becuse I hate A2 grips so I just picked up a Magpul MIAD. Other than that the only money I spend after I started messing with this was having the barrel duracoated and a can of Crylon for the Grip and Quadrail because they were pretty scratched up.

So has anyone else ever had this happen. realize that you pretty much have all the parts to build a gun just laying around?

FYI this gun is about as far from Milspec as you can get.

Unknown 16 inch Bull barrel with a 1/8 twist (I would really like to identify this but it has no markings other than SS 1/8)

Doublestar Lower

Nikon scope

El-Cheapo single point scope mount

Unknown Upper I think it may be a DPMS

Unknown BCG It looks better than a DPMS but isn't staked well so I know it isn't a top Teir.

Mixed LPK components.

Abused VLTOR stock

Abused YHM Quadraid.

A part of me feels like the thing should just rattle apart durring the first Mag. I know it isn't that bad but it just seems to wrong that I had enough parts laying around to do this LOL.

So has anyone else had this happen. Just keep finding the parts laying around and decide to slap them together?

au1776
03-29-09, 23:45
I pray this happens to me one day.

Gentoo
03-29-09, 23:57
This thread is worthless without pics. ;)

I've done the same thing with computers. I usually find someone through my sons school / church or something who doesn't have one and give it to them.

kwelz
03-30-09, 00:08
Ask and ye shall recieve!

http://homepage.mac.com/kwelz/.Pictures/ghetto.jpg

I have somehow managed to lose the insert for the MIAD grip. I blame the little black blurr in the upper right of the photo.

Honestly I have never been a fan of Scoped ARs nore of Bull Barrels on them. But since I had the Bull Barrel the Scope made sense and I had it left over from a Rem 700 I traded off last year so I stuck it on there.

Feel Free to criticize the build if you want but I am aware of the many shortcomings it has.

Mikey
03-30-09, 00:33
Not too bad for a bunch of spare parts.

khc3
03-30-09, 00:59
I have a XM177E2 clone that I will finish assembling after the Form 1 comes back.

The only part I had to buy was the A1 lower from Nodak Spud LLC.

If I hadn't sold a PWA A1 lower after the ban ended (sold it to a guy in NY), I wouldn't have had to buy that.

I have a Colt NFA "moderator" that I bought to make a 639 clone with a M16A1, which I have since sold.

Everything else (Commando barrel, M16A1 upper, LPK, A1 grip, CAR HGs, old Bushmaster aluminum CAR stock, BCG) I had on hand.

Gentoo
03-30-09, 02:00
Pretty cool you were able to do that with stuff you had lying around. :)

wargasm
03-30-09, 03:34
I don't mean the normal Frankenbuilds. We have all done those.
I just finished building a rifle out of the spare parts I had sitting in my workshop. Literally the only part I didn't have on hand was the grip and that is becuse I hate A2 grips so I just picked up a Magpul MIAD. Other than that the only money I spend after I started messing with this was having the barrel duracoated and a can of Crylon for the Grip and Quadrail because they were pretty scratched up.

So has anyone else ever had this happen. realize that you pretty much have all the parts to build a gun just laying around?

FYI this gun is about as far from Milspec as you can get.

Unknown 16 inch Bull barrel with a 1/8 twist (I would really like to identify this but it has no markings other than SS 1/8)

Doublestar Lower

Nikon scope

Unknown Upper I think it may be a DPMS

Unknown BCG It looks better than a DPMS but isn't staked well so I know it isn't a top Teir.

Mixed LPK components.

Abused VLTOR stock

Abused YHM Quadraid.

A part of me feels like the thing should just rattle apart durring the first Mag. I know it isn't that bad but it just seems to wrong that I had enough parts laying around to do this LOL.

So has anyone else had this happen. Just keep finding the parts laying around and decide to slap them together?

After the first round is fired through it, you will officially have a "Ghetto Blaster"! :D

CaptainDooley
03-30-09, 06:48
New to ARs I clearly won't have AR parts enough laying around, but I'm pretty sure I have everything except the receiver for a 10/22 lying around here somewhere...

103M 95G
03-30-09, 07:57

I would guess its an OLY barrel with thoes markings and based on the profile of the GB.

C4IGrant
03-30-09, 08:44
I have TONS of spare parts sitting around (from my personal builds). My spare parts though are VLTOR VIS, LT Rails, Noveske Barrels, etc. :D

C4

OldNavyGuy
03-30-09, 09:31

i find this very interesting.., how well does it work.., accuracy wise ? i thought of doing this for one of my rifles but thought there would be too much of the tube unsupported therefore accuracy would be a problem.

Stickman
03-30-09, 12:37

Yes, I've been able to do it a few times.

kwelz
03-30-09, 20:28
Come on grant. Share the joy! Meaning that VLTOR VIS LOL.

Honestly the thing I am most worried about is the scope mount. It is made for an Aimpoint and not a Scope. I am worried about Harmonics and vibration in the scope without the second point of support.

It has not been shot yet but I plan to put a couple of test rounds through it this week at some point.

sandman99and9
03-31-09, 00:45
After the first round is fired through it, you will officially have a "Ghetto Blaster"! :D

Now that is funny !!! Ghetto blaster, I have not heard that one in a while ....lol

s.m.

CaptainDooley
03-31-09, 07:16
Yes, I've been able to do it a few times.

I'm guessing your ghetto builds put most factory rifles to shame given the gear I've seen in your pics... LOL

dmanflynn
03-31-09, 07:18
I pray this happens to me one day. ill second that LOL, im in the process of building my first AR. Didnt i pick the perfect time?! I cant manage to find any of the parts and so far all i got is a stripped lower :(

CaptainDooley
03-31-09, 07:20
ill second that LOL, im in the process of building my first AR. Didnt i pick the perfect time?! I cant manage to find any of the parts and so far all i got is a stripped lower :(

Just ordered my lower... I'm in the same boat - but things are looking up... LPKs are finally getting to be in stock a few places and Bravo's got it's big LMT shipments starting soon...

Mark15
03-31-09, 18:49
I'm doing something similar. I have this A2 flash hider that I built a rifle in back of.

I had to buy everything though.

Mark15

MMcfpd
03-31-09, 19:17
Heh. I suppose I could, and I bet it'd go bang. But I think not:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Frankie.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Franken_parts.jpg

1. Colt
2. Cav Arms
3. LMT
4. Les Baer
5. BCM
6. UTG
7. Somebody's tac latch CH - Badger?

What I have found, though, is that the parts can accumulate and a barrel seems to be the catalyst that makes a new one come together.

Spade
03-31-09, 20:04
I have TONS of spare parts sitting around (from my personal builds). My spare parts though are VLTOR VIS, LT Rails, Noveske Barrels, etc. :D

C4

I find myself wanting to take any of your spare parts

mskdgunman
04-03-09, 20:58
My beater/ghetto CAR. I put it together about 12 years ago. It wasn't built with stuff I had laying around but it was definately built on a budget. It was also my first attempt at weapons painting so be kind. For a mutt, it runs well and has never given me any issues. My GF used it at a carbine class and she ended up claiming it as her work rifle...guess I gotta build another beater...oh darn :rolleyes:
http://www.forumjpg.com/userImages/84126800816797.jpg (http://www.forumjpg.com/clicked.asp?img=84126800816797.jpg)

Dr. Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-03-09, 23:01
ill second that LOL, im in the process of building my first AR. Didnt i pick the perfect time?! I cant manage to find any of the parts and so far all i got is a stripped lower :(

I decided to get my first build going late last summer, most of my rifles have been single shot american and british guns... Decided to get into the tactical stuff when I got interested in survivalism. I decided what I wanted and started buying stuff up as I had the spare cash... then the election hit. Now I have an Anvil Arms lower, a G&R LPK and BCG, Moe Buttstock and Miad. I still need an upper, and I have a specific barrel I would like but to my knowledge no one even makes the profile I want. And good luck having a custom barrel made now. Everyone is at capacity with the standard off the shelf stuff.
Oh, for the record I would like a 14.5" lightweight barrel with a 1-7 twist and an F marked FSB. I suppose I could have an M4 profile contoured but its hard even finding one of those.

Also, Pretty cool build OP. Nice little spr/Varmint rig.

QuickStrike
04-04-09, 06:01
WHERE DA BLING IS AT??! No chrome, no ice, no spinnahz?

Ya'll make a proper ghetto gentleman sick!

*sips drank* :cool:

Beat Trash
04-04-09, 08:31
WHERE DA BLING IS AT??! No chrome, no ice, no spinnahz?

Ya'll make a proper ghetto gentleman sick!

*sips drank* :cool:

Waits patiently for someone to photo shop chrome, neon, and spinners onto their AR...

cade
04-04-09, 15:30

C4

Then your "ghetto builds" would be more "Pepper Pike" than "Ward 5"...

;)

1859sharps
04-05-09, 01:06
This thread is worthless without pics. ;)

I've done the same thing with computers. I usually find someone through my sons school / church or something who doesn't have one and give it to them.

I am hoping you installed Linux on them before you gave them away. :D

Dr. Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-05-09, 14:22
I am hoping you installed Linux on them before you gave them away. :D

kubuntu FTMFW

The_War_Wagon
04-05-09, 18:42
Don't know that it's a ghetto "BUILD" per se, as I believe there was actually a complete Bushmaster underneath, but here's that CLASSIC we were all doubled over laughing at last spring - from Gunbroker.com. I saved the images! :p

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/pix2082447609.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/pix2082447640-1.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/pix2082447750.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/pix2082447843.jpg

He "threw in" the hat - lightly used! :p

:eek::eek::eek:

sonrider657
04-05-09, 19:02
Ask and ye shall recieve!

I have somehow managed to lose the insert for the MIAD grip. I blame the little black blurr in the upper right of the photo.

Honestly I have never been a fan of Scoped ARs nore of Bull Barrels on them. But since I had the Bull Barrel the Scope made sense and I had it left over from a Rem 700 I traded off last year so I stuck it on there.

Feel Free to criticize the build if you want but I am aware of the many shortcomings it has.

In today's market you could get five-figures for your ghetto build. Put it on gunbroker and see.

AR-15A3
04-05-09, 20:06
Your ghetto build looks pretty good. :cool:

That's a good idea for a build project, all I need is a generous donation perhaps from the sponsor here, maybe a Noveske barrel assembly and a Noveske stripped lower. ;)

... or maybe win a little jackpot. :p

Spare parts that I have:

Phantom FS
Samson rail system
TD rail panels
CMT A3 flattop upper assy (from G&R Tactical)
CMT AR BCG (from G&R Tactical)
RRA CH
Stag Arms LPK
MIAD full grip set
KAC 300m rear BUIS
ACE M4 SOCOM stock group
Slings: IDF two point/ LaRue-Viking/ Vickers VCAS

kwrangln
04-05-09, 20:29
While mine isn't thrown together spare parts (by me anyways), I think it counts. Got one of CMMG's "bargain bin" rifles. A couple years back they took whatever parts they had an over run of in the shop they threw together to make a complete rifle and sold for under $600. Its got a DPMS lower, but as for what the rest of the parts are, who knows. What I do know is I havn't had a problem yet in just over 2K rounds, and I'm happy with it.

What I got for my $570. Minus the carry handle, didn't come with it.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/ar8.jpg?t=1238980548

I've continued the poorboy antibling boomstick theme with the accessories. Millet DMS-1 in Burris rings on a YHM extended riser, Vortex Strikefire for a reddot, plain ole floater tube, brownells flip up sights, etc. Figure with all mods, some mags, and both optics I'm into it for about $1100.

How it sits now.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/fh8.jpg?t=1238980758

Love the damn thing. Got an ARFX stock on the way to replace the collapsible, then I think I'm done unless I get bored and take the floater tube to the drill press to give it some ventilation. Building these things is almost as fun as shooting them.

decodeddiesel
04-05-09, 21:29
Heh. I suppose I could, and I bet it'd go bang. But I think not:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Frankie.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Franken_parts.jpg

1. Colt
2. Cav Arms
3. LMT
4. Les Baer
5. BCM
6. UTG
7. Somebody's tac latch CH - Badger?

What I have found, though, is that the parts can accumulate and a barrel seems to be the catalyst that makes a new one come together.

That's actually a pretty awesome build.