PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 24/7 OSS

taurken
03-30-09, 12:19
Does anybody have information about this gun? I was thinking about buying one and I don't want to make a mistake.
Thanks

Mr.Goodtimes
03-31-09, 16:42
i wouldnt buy a taurus. Id stick to glock, s&w, beretta, sig, fn.

koji
03-31-09, 18:14
Plenty of people have put thousands of rounds through the 24/7 pistols and had no reliability issues. Not everyone likes Taurus because of some customer service issues from years ago. They've cleaned that up quite a bit as of the last several years.

Check other forums on this topic like the HighRoad.org, etc. The reviews are 95% positive on those weapons. They're a great value pistol and if you like how it fits in your hand, buy one.

ToddG
03-31-09, 18:23
Plenty of people have put thousands of rounds through the 24/7 pistols and had no reliability issues.

There's no doubt there are people who've put some rounds through them and like them. As we see around here all the time, there is a huge range of products that "some people" like.

When the .45 24/7 made its debut (for JCP, like so many new .45's a couple years ago), it had all sorts of reliability problems. Even the Taurus rep I spoke with said he knew it didn't have a chance.

The question I'd ask someone looking at the 24/7 is simple: why are you choosing it over something more proven, something that has been independently tested and chosen by LE agencies, etc.?

IrishDevil
03-31-09, 18:31
Search is your friend:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28587

John_Wayne777
03-31-09, 19:06
To the best of my knowledge, no police department in the United States issues Taurus semi-automatic pistols. Contrary to what some airsofting queer on Youtube may allege, there are reasons for this.

ZDL
03-31-09, 19:30
To the best of my knowledge, no police department in the United States issues Taurus semi-automatic pistols. Contrary to what some airsofting queer on Youtube may allege, there are reasons for this.

Whats he looking for would be the 1st question I would ask before dropping bombs like this.

Are you looking for a cheap range gun or a personal defense tool? I have 24/7 pro .40 as mentioned in the other thread, that I acquired for peanuts. It fits the role I put it into well. Abuse and a loaner. I haven't had a problem with mine but still wouldn't suggest it as a personal defense weapon.

givo08
03-31-09, 19:35
I would steer clear if reliability is important to you.

rly45acp
03-31-09, 21:39
I currently work in one of the largest gun stores east of the Mississippi (over 6000 guns in stock). Though retired from management in the steel industry (QA/QC), I still need a bit more than the pension allows. Anyway, we sell tons of Taurus products, as the store owners really push this product. However, whenever officers from small law enforcement departments come in to buy a firearm for duty - their departments are too poor to supply them with sidearms (honest!), we steer them away from Taurus as it and Kimber are the two most problematic products we sell. These two get sent back more often or are traded in due to problems than any other brands. As for Taurus customer service, it sucks. No, it has not gotten better. The owner got into a shouting match with a Taurus rep on the phone one day after the customer, at his own expense, had sent his pistol to Taurus THREE times for the same problem with no resolution. We were sending it for the fourth time! If their customer service has improved, we sure haven't seen it and we sell over 6000 Taurus firearms a year, so we have a statitical sample size large enough to comment on (I taught statistics too). From an ethical point of view, it really irritates me that the owners push Taurus' for non-LEO, but not for LEO. Having been a reserve officer in the past, I don't consider anyones life more important than another, just because of the occupation they choose. I have no use for Taurus products and do my best to steer customers away from them.

By the way, aside from the parts breakage problems, feed issues, etc., they have an unusually high percentage of pistols that shoot high and to the left, low and to the left or just low. In fact, I'd say this is the most common problem we see and it's not because the shooters are gripping with their whole hand when they press the trigger as I've tested the pistols myself to verify it and it's the pistol. When you add in parts breakage, reliability issues, bent front sights from the factory, etc, etc.., ad nauseum, it doesn't take long to take a bleak view of this company. All I can figure is the owner gets a bigger percentage on them, though I have yet been able to see the numbers to verify this hunch.

Over the last couple of months I began to casually collect data from customers who had stated they had "high round counts" through their Taurus pistols, and most who said this had only 200 to 300 rounds through them. Some hadn't even put 100 rounds through them! Often times I hear them comment that it's been pretty reliable with only a "few jams" (common parlance in this trade unfortunately) in "all those bullets we fired". Since nearly all of these foks refer to magazines as clips and have more knowledge of the various brands of chewing tobacco than they will ever have of firearms, I have become very jaded with much of what I hear. Many of these same people also give High Point handguns glowing praise.

Jim D
03-31-09, 23:37
Our store also moves a lot of Taurus, and I see them on my range.

They suck.

Many of our customers have had them break on day 1, had to pay to ship them back, then wait months for their gun back. On more than 1 occasion, it has required multiple trips for the same problem to be resolved.

They break more often than ANY of the other brands mentioned in this thread so far.

I would never own one, after what I have seen with them.

Shihan
04-01-09, 00:13
The trigger really sucks and I mean sucks.

maximus83
04-01-09, 00:23
I have only owned 1 Taurus product, a 24/7 in 9mm, and that was all it took to cure me. Yikes, what a piece of crap. And yes, that's a "sample of one," clearly insufficient to conclude that ALL Taurus pistols are crap. Problem is, I keep hearing the same story from so many others who have tried Taurus. And I don't see any--and I do many ANY--serious "operator" types (people of the caliber of LAV or other current/recent service folks) who are advocating Tauruses.

So I avoid them like the plague, and recommend the same to any friends or family who ask.

Shihan
04-01-09, 00:42
Heres one to scare you. One of my students bught a Taurus revolver and it had no riffling. It took them 4 months to get him a replacement last year.

ZDL
04-01-09, 03:02
Heres one to scare you. One of my students bught a Taurus revolver and it had no riffling. It took them 4 months to get him a replacement last year.

jesus.

*did he ever mention why/what is he looking at for and at what price?

Business_Casual
04-01-09, 08:15
Whats he looking for would be the 1st question I would ask before dropping bombs like this.

Are you looking for a cheap range gun or a personal defense tool? I have 24/7 pro .40 as mentioned in the other thread, that I acquired for peanuts. It fits the role I put it into well. Abuse and a loaner. I haven't had a problem with mine but still wouldn't suggest it as a personal defense weapon.

No offense, friend but this isn't a collectors board like the AK Forum. ALL of the staff and moderators regularly train with some of the most highly regarded instructors in the world. They are a diverse cross section of current and former military personnel, LEO's, private military contractors and defense-minded civilians and competitive shooters.

So if you ask about Pistol X on here, expect people to savage crappy pistols that don't belong in someone's holster on the street.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match, I'm just pointing out what the mission here is.

M_P

kaltblitz
04-01-09, 10:22
I agree with Todd.

Why would you even take the chance and mess with a pistol like this when guns like Glocks, S&W's and H&K's exist?

ZDL
04-01-09, 13:26
No offense, friend but this isn't a collectors board like the AK Forum. ALL of the staff and moderators regularly train with some of the most highly regarded instructors in the world. They are a diverse cross section of current and former military personnel, LEO's, private military contractors and defense-minded civilians and competitive shooters.

So if you ask about Pistol X on here, expect people to savage crappy pistols that don't belong in someone's holster on the street.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match, I'm just pointing out what the mission here is.

M_P

................. lol

We pride ourselves on disseminating first hand knowledge here yet a few opinions shared here re: this pistol are not.

We ask the same question "whats it going to be used for" re: an AR when someone is asking about a BM or DPMS. But here it's out of line?

I'm a leo and well aware of the mission of this board and have done what I can to continue to support by..... staying in my lane..... :cool:

Keeping things on the level here would benefit everyone so lets not disassociate one thing from another simply because they are in a different sub-forum.

I have said I wouldn't implement the weapon in a defense situation. But, if he's got a line on one for $250 or less, like I did, and thinking of using it as a loaner or in another non-defense role.... Might be a decent option at a fair price. This happens to be MY first hand experience.

Copy?

Business_Casual
04-01-09, 14:58
LOL, indeed.

Copy?

That's good.

M_P

ROADKING
04-01-09, 15:44
My father in law bought one and had nothing but TROUBLE with it. We took it to the range and was shooting it and internal parts came flying out of it not to mention it wasnt very accurate either. I wouldnt waste my money on one. Buy a GLOCK and be happy.

Shihan
04-01-09, 15:55
jesus.

*did he ever mention why/what is he looking at for and at what price?

I dont copy?

ZDL
04-01-09, 15:59
I dont copy?

I meant "jesus that was bad" as in an unforgivable mistake by taurus to not rifle a barrel.

The other thing was an attempt to get the OP to tells us why he is looking at one.

Gutshot John
04-01-09, 16:40
A friend has one and he likes it though he's not anywhere the shooter that most here are. He likes it, though he says it's a bitch to take-down and reassemble for cleaning. I doubt he's put it through its paces to assure reliability.

I do like the trigger better than most other stock triggers (Glock/M&P) but that's about the only positive thing I have to say about it.

John_Wayne777
04-01-09, 20:06

I would assume since he's talking about wanting to avoid a mistake that he's looking for a serviceable defensive weapon. Having a bit of experience with the absolutely terrible performance of several examples of Taurus' fine engineering, I think he'd be better off with a used Glock.

Taurus has....issues....

http://fuserservices.com/Magnun.JPG

ZDL
04-01-09, 20:13
I would assume since he's talking about wanting to avoid a mistake that he's looking for a serviceable defensive weapon. Having a bit of experience with the absolutely terrible performance of several examples of Taurus' fine engineering, I think he'd be better off with a used Glock.

Taurus has....issues....

http://fuserservices.com/Magnun.JPG

If that is the case. I completely agree. Shop elsewhere. I do/did.

Ned Christiansen
04-02-09, 09:52
Good Loard, the misspelled "Magnim"!?:confused:

JimmyB62
04-02-09, 11:07
Good Loard, the misspelled "Magnim"!?:confused:

I looked at the frakin picture for a full minute and couldn't figure out what the problem was until your post.............................

ROADKING
04-02-09, 11:20
Leave it to taurus they cant even spell magnum.

taurken
04-02-09, 13:19
I want the pistol for home defense and for some trigger time at the range. I didn't realize that this pistol was so bad. :eek: Thanks. I had a feeling I was about to make a mistake. I will go with my second choice: Glock.:D

ROADKING
04-02-09, 16:10
I wouldnt trust that gun to defend my home.

kingc
04-03-09, 00:02
I realize Glock is pushing their product in the Glock Annual Magazine, but, a few years back they were highlighting how much the Brazilian national police liked their new Glock pistols. The article said that prior to the acquisition of "high quality" pistols, import laws were so strict, as to only allow domestically produced product. They were very enthusiastic when the import laws were loosened.:)