PDA

View Full Version : Any Everyday Average Joe's Here?

USMC1341
03-30-09, 15:08
Seems like from my stand point everyone is obsessed with extreme tactical, shtf, Swiss army knife type of set up's. Is everyone here some sort of professional or end of the world theorist? When it comes to AR's everywhere I go it seems this way. All the technical mumbo jumbo is like a secret code. Most of the time I don't understand. By taking the time to research these things so I don't look like a dumba** I come to find out it doesn't apply anyway since I'm not currently out saving the world or planing to take it over. Are there any average Joe's here might simply enjoy just shooting basic rifles? Instead of set something up for WWIII I rather knock off a coyote. I'm in the wrong place?

MisterWilson
03-30-09, 15:12
Wrong place.

WWIII or bust...

rob_s
03-30-09, 15:12
I'm not sure I understand the question, but since there's been a rash of these kinds of posts of late I don't imagine this one will last long.

Is being an "average joe" mutually exclusive from defending one's home and family?

larry0071
03-30-09, 15:22
Many here would say that your question would lead you to www.ar15.com or what many call TOS (The Other Site). Another nice place with many AR lovers is www.PAFOA.org, it is a Pennsylvania based gun owners site, but many users are not from PA.... and they have the infamous ZRT (Zombie Response Team) that allows for some fun and creative posting.

This site is largely made up of active or retired military and Law Enforcement personel, and as such they do at times get rough on us "dumb" civilian plinkers/home defenders that do not have federal firearms training.

If you keep your head down and only post questions that are very well thought out and very well researched for first, you will have no problems here at all. This site is a great place to read and learn from and has some very passionate members.

I would say for higher end learning READ on this site.
For not so well informed learning, and some who-haw fun use TOS.
For some (But not as much as here) high end learning combined with some wild fun tied with a very friendly family atmosphere go look at the PAFOA site.

Thats my take on it. I don't post a lot here. I like to jump in on the occasional post that I can input personal experiance on or add to the occasional fun post that comes around now and again... and I'll throw my hat in on posts that are subjective and based on oppinion once in a while... but I severly limit my input here so as to prevent me showing off my lack of formal training and ignorance of combat firearm use.

Keep a low profile and slide in under the radar!

R1pper
03-30-09, 15:28
It really depends in what context you mean "Average Joe's". Yeah I am an "Average Joe" in my book. I love Firearms, Beer, Football, Muscle cars, Women, Loud Motorcycles, My job and the way our country used to be.

I take the defense of my life, and all those around me very seriously. I am a fan of standing up for those who cant/wont stand up for themselves. It just happens to be that most here are "switched on" to mainting a high level of proficiency with certian platforms and with in certian areas. If you look real hard you will even notice quite a few that are not only "switched on" but "tuned up" (myself excluded. I only aspire to be as skilled and knowledgeable as some here).

I would just read and head, and the search button is your friend, cause if I read another "fitting upper to lower" thread im going to lose my shit!

-DM-

USMC1341
03-30-09, 15:32
Nah, You miss under stand. Heck maybe I'm not in the norm? I simple have no use for lazers flashlights red dots and so forth. What is deemed tactical these days isn't something I'm really interested in. It simply not a nessesty for me. I will be using my Carbine more for pleasure shooting on the range and for hunting purposes which I'm not so sure anyone here is doing much of based on what I see. If owning a black rifle for the sole perpose of defence, law enforcement, military application is what every website is about I might be in the wrong place. Am I?

SHIVAN
03-30-09, 15:35
Being an "average guy" and having a "simple" gun, do not need to be intertwined at all. False premise, weak strawman or whatever the case may be -- this sure looks like a troll post in its infancy.

TOrrock
03-30-09, 15:37
I might be in the wrong place. Am I?

Honestly?

Probably, yes you are.

SHIVAN
03-30-09, 15:37
...I might be in the wrong place. Am I?

Most adult males can make these sorts of decisions on their own. Can you?

R1pper
03-30-09, 15:41
If owning a black rifle for the sole perpose of defence, law enforcement, military application is what every website is about I might be in the wrong place. Am I?

Did you read any of the Mission statement?

Try this STICKIED (Learn what those are and use wisely) thread
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26452

-DM-

Iraq Ninja
03-30-09, 15:46
For hunting, wouldn't you want to use a red dot or other optic? In many ways, I think you can say that hunting is a tactical situation, but I understand what you are saying.

We are seeing a big shift in this country away from firearms for hunting, to firearms for personal defense.

Hell_Bent
03-30-09, 15:48
Nah, You miss under stand. Heck maybe I'm not in the norm? I simple have no use for lazers flashlights red dots and so forth. What is deemed tactical these days isn't something I'm really interested in. It simply not a nessesty for me. I will be using my Carbine more for pleasure shooting on the range and for hunting purposes which I'm not so sure anyone here is doing much of based on what I see. If owning a black rifle for the sole perpose of defence, law enforcement, military application is what every website is about I might be in the wrong place. Am I?

To each their own...

I also have many firearms set aside for hunting, pleasure plinking, training the local 4-H kids, etc. When I am looking for information pertaining to those pursuits, I go to websites which cater to those crowds. There are tons of them out there.

What you are considering "tactical" are simply tools and adjuncts that can help to make a weapon more useful when employed in a defensive/offensive capacity.

If your sole interest lies in plinking on the range and punching paper, then you're right - lights/red dot sights/etc hold little value for you beyond "cool factor".

Should you ever decide to broaden your interests to include low-light shooting, defensive use of a rifle, tactical training, etc - then those adjuncts may become more useful to you...

If/when that happens, take a look around and learn from other's mistakes/successes.

If your screenname indicates a current active duty status, there may be some useful information here that can save you time/trouble/bloodloss should you find yourself deployed. If that's your MOS (which if I recall correctly would be in the admin occfld), then you still never know when you might find yourself manning a checkpoint or travelling in a convoy.

Either way, feel free to learn what you can here or bookmark the site in case your path changes.

Paths have a funny way of changing without prior notice... :cool:

SHIVAN
03-30-09, 15:49
...hunting is a tactical situation...

Of course it is!!! It's just that hunters call it, "the setup", "the stalk", "the shot", etc.

A good hunter deploys tactics in a repeatable way, and usually with the same mind towards economy of motion and muscle memory.

They just don't call them "tactics", even though they are covered in that word's definition.

:cool:

USMC1341
03-30-09, 15:57
Jeez sorry I asked! All I wanted was to learn more about things to do to make the platform better more suited per my application.
Like being attack by a pack of rabbid dogs here. Is there a website devoted to use of the AR15 for utility uses like hunting?

TOrrock
03-30-09, 15:59
Jeez sorry I asked! All I wanted was to learn more about things to do to make the platform better more suited per my application.
Like being attack by a pack of rabbid dogs here. Is there a website devoted to use of the AR15 for utility uses like hunting?

Haven't been there in a while, but I believe AR15.com has a hunting section.

You might also want to try TheHighRoad.org.

Derek_Connor
03-30-09, 16:00

Yeah...this website should be good.. (google.com)

spamsammich
03-30-09, 16:01
...Is there a website devoted to use of the AR15 for utility uses like hunting?

You probably should have asked this first instead of, "am I in the right place?". There are plenty of hunters on this site.

C4IGrant
03-30-09, 16:07
Seems like from my stand point everyone is obsessed with extreme tactical, shtf, Swiss army knife type of set up's. Is everyone here some sort of professional or end of the world theorist? When it comes to AR's everywhere I go it seems this way. All the technical mumbo jumbo is like a secret code. Most of the time I don't understand. By taking the time to research these things so I don't look like a dumba** I come to find out it doesn't apply anyway since I'm not currently out saving the world or planing to take it over. Are there any average Joe's here might simply enjoy just shooting basic rifles? Instead of set something up for WWIII I rather knock off a coyote. I'm in the wrong place?

There is a good mix of Civy's, LE and .Mil in here. The majority of the Civy's on here tend to be very defensive minded (meaning they take their personal security VERY seriously).

There are MANY forums geared towards FUDS and Dirt shooters. Most come here looking to escape these people and want to either grow/share their knowledge on tactics, weapons and shooting.

What makes this forum great is that it attracts the VERY best names in the industry along with a lot of Tier 1 SF types. This cannot be said of other forums.

The two forums listed below would most likely be a much better fit for you:

http://www.ar15.com/

http://www.varminter.com/forums/

C4

USMC1341
03-30-09, 16:08
You probably should have asked this first instead of, "am I in the right place?". There are plenty of hunters on this site.

I did in my own way and it got ramrodded back down my throat. Forget I asked.

Lumpy196
03-30-09, 16:09
I would have thought that the website being called M4 Carbine: The Next Evolution in Tactical Forums would have indicated the direction of this site. A quick browse down the list of subforums would make that even more clear.

No need to be sensitive about it. You asked. It doesn't mean you aren't welcome, it just means stick within the boundaries of what this site was designed to discuss.

C4IGrant
03-30-09, 16:20
I did in my own way and it got ramrodded back down my throat. Forget I asked.

As they old saying goes, if you have to ask, you most likely cannot afford it and are in the wrong place.

C4

Kimbo
03-30-09, 19:05

Are you in the Marine Corps USMC1341?

dmcutter
03-30-09, 19:34
My MOS was 1302, basic combat engineer officer. 13 is engineer, 01 is admin office pogue. Don't know what the 41 would be...

OPPFOR
03-30-09, 19:43
Google says 1341=engineer equipment mechanic

Kimbo
03-30-09, 19:45
1341 is Engineer Equipment Mechanic. Just curious to see if he's a real deal Marine.

M4arc
03-30-09, 19:46

If you want to learn then I suggest you sit back, read what interest you and figure out what information applies to you and your utility and what doesn't.

We have all types here from the real-deal, BTDT, guys to hobbyst. We have guys that shoot for a living and those that (like me) shoot when they can.

If you have a legitament question(s) then ask it but post like this don't last long here here.