PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Daniel Defense M4

oswald
03-30-09, 17:11
I'm new to AR's and need a scope and mount suggestion for my DDM4. I will need to change my rear fixed sight. As many know the DDM4 has a fixed front sight. I'd like to keep the scope in the <$500 range.

Magsz
03-30-09, 18:22
What are you planning on doing with the rifle?

Home defense?

Long Range target shooting?

Three gun?

fruitjacket
03-30-09, 18:30
I just bought a Mueller Tactical 4x16 50mm scope for my Daniel Defense M4 and you can see my groupings from my FIRST outing in the thread called "Critique my groupings' in this sub forum.

Price was about $230.

tweakmeister
03-30-09, 21:42
For the money, it's hard to beat keeping everything you've got and adding an Aimpoint (pick one) that allows for lower 1/3 co-witness.

fruitjacket
03-30-09, 21:59
For the money, it's hard to beat keeping everything you've got and adding an Aimpoint (pick one) that allows for lower 1/3 co-witness.

I can't argue. The best bang for the buck IMO was the aimpoint. up to 50yds, it was deadly accurate. I purchased the C3 and ADM from Grant here on the forums. Well worth every penny.

oswald
03-30-09, 22:32
What are you planning on doing with the rifle?

Home defense?

Long Range target shooting?

Three gun?

Range target shooting and home defense. I was looking at the Millet tactical scope.

bograu223
03-31-09, 00:42
Range target shooting and home defense. I was looking at the Millet tactical scope.

I got my hands on a Millet DMS-1 at a shop, was really interested until I actually handled one. Very crude (obviously made in China), limited field of view for a 30mm tube and the circle/dot reticle bled on the edges. Picked up a Leupold mark 4 ,1.5-5x20 one inch tube w/ SPR reticle(#59100), if your military or LEO, its only 436.00. Super clear, easy to use reticle for ranging and hold over. There is also a 30mm, illum. reticle version. This scope is mounted on my 18" carbine. I use it for range shooting and 3 gunish use ( no 3 gun matches here on Kodiak...yet). Hope this helps.

John_Wayne777
03-31-09, 06:46

The default answer is an Aimpoint. If you have specialized need for a magnified optic there are some options for that on the market, but they generally tend to be expensive.

oswald
03-31-09, 08:02
The default answer is an Aimpoint. If you have specialized need for a magnified optic there are some options for that on the market, but they generally tend to be expensive.

Which aimpoint do you recommend? How about EOtech products?

John_Wayne777
03-31-09, 08:42
Which Aimpoint can you afford?

The CompM4 is a superb optic by any measure. That being said, any of the other Aimpoint models will work for you as well. It's just a matter of how much you have to spend and what sort of battery life you want. Personally on a full sized carbine I prefer the 30mm Aimpoints to the micro, as I appreciate the wider field of view they afford through the optic.

As for the EOThings, their numerous issues have been well documented on this site. I would suggest doing some searching in this sub-forum and in the optics sub-forum for a wealth of information about them. Some people prefer the EOThing reticle...personally I prefer the simple dot. EOTechs are known for having a ton of function and battery issues that you just don't have to worry about with Aimpoints.

Avenger29
03-31-09, 09:18
Which aimpoint do you recommend? How about EOtech products?

Take a look at the Aimpoint C3. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=923

The cool things about Aimpoints is the battery life. For home defense, this means you can turn the Aimpoint on and leave it on. It's ready to go from the moment you pick up the gun- no fumbling with switches or buttons (you have to turn on the Eotech).

Oh, and can you keep your fixed rear, so no having to spend yet more money there.

ROADKING
03-31-09, 20:29
I do agree with the AIMPOINT C3 WITH A ADM MOUNT FROM GRANT they are reliable. I added scope covers and battery strap to mine and wouldnt have it any other way.

seb5
03-31-09, 22:25
I'll also say Aimpoint of some variety. On a self defense carbine magnified optics are a hindrance and could be dangerous. I've owned Eotechs but don't now and probably won't again. One RDS that does intrigue me is the DR., Burris, or Trijicon mini's. I've got a Burris fast fire and it has back up irons when mounted with a Larue. I've been playing with it and found that I like it. I'm impressed. It's only water resistant but that's a non issue for a HD carbine. The standard is Aimpoint. Why try to re invent the wheel?

NickB
03-31-09, 23:09
Aimpoint in a LaRue mount. Honestly, I'd call LaRue Tactical and talk to those guys - tell them your situation and see what they have to say. $500 is tough but doable. If you're willing to bump your price range up a bit, I think this is the best setup available for a red dot optic: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=149

oswald
04-01-09, 20:56
Take a look at the Aimpoint C3. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=923

The cool things about Aimpoints is the battery life. For home defense, this means you can turn the Aimpoint on and leave it on. It's ready to go from the moment you pick up the gun- no fumbling with switches or buttons (you have to turn on the Eotech).

Oh, and can you keep your fixed rear, so no having to spend yet more money there.

Which mount and height will allow me to keep the fixed rear site? Can the Aimpoint C3 be used with the Aimpoint magnifier? I'd like to keep my rear site with the C3 and add a magnifier down the road.