PDA

View Full Version : pros & cons of 1, 2, and 3 point slings

BoyScout4Life
01-04-07, 20:41
OUTSTANDING...Post Jeff very informative and aided my dicision making on new sling purchase. I think I'll give the Vickers 2 point a try. :)

Semper Fi.
BoyScout4Life...

BushmasterFanBoy
01-04-07, 22:02
I have a Vickers BFG sling and love it. I've given a homemade three point a try and didn't like it too well, but in all honesty, I doubt that was a fair assesment given it was pretty much hand made. Still, given a more durable design, the Vickers simply offers more ways to carry, and it WORKS GREAT. You'd be hard pressed to find any serious problems with it, unlike single point slings that flop alot when running. If you buy it, you will be pleased, I liked mine so much I bought a second for my other M4. I can't think of a situation the Vickers can't overcome. You will be happy with what you bought, I've had no problems and only have great things to say.

royta
01-05-07, 11:17
I asked the same thing on ar15.com, and because I want more opinions, I'll ask it here also.

Would a 2-point work well for a day of hiking in the woods, either on my back on my chest? I wouldn't need the rifle at the ready, but it would be nice to have with me if I found a cool spot to call in some coyotes. Or, would a 3-point be better suited for that?

Steve
01-05-07, 12:37
good point through training we that were/Are stuck with single points learned that by turning the gun ejection port side to body during the transition and trapping it under the sling held very tight steady and made the transitions less of an issue.

many options many choices i run singles and vickers

Resq47
01-06-07, 05:07
Excellent post again Jeff ;)

I don't get along with single points b/c I typically get blunt trauma above or below the belt after transitioning, and had the typical hang-ups with three points. The Vickers / BFG two point gives me the same 'fit' I preferred with the Wilderness three but eliminates the intermediate webbing that fouls the bolt catch. Best of all worlds, HD hardware and the slider is PFM. The setup could be approximated without the ready adjustability, but forget about accomodating more/less clothing or gear without a lot of work.

I wouldn't mind Wilderness webbing instead of the BFG webbing, but I think that's just familiarity-based nostalgia more than anything.

Submariner
01-06-07, 05:54
Excellent post again Jeff ;) I wouldn't mind Wilderness webbing instead of the BFG webbing, but I think that's just familiarity-based nostalgia more than anything.

I picked up one of the Wilderness attachments to convert a single point to 2-point sling because I am cheap and have quite a few single points about. It doesn't have the "PFM" adjuster but gives 3 point advantages as a patrol sling without the extra webbing. I asked Mike Novack if Wilderness was working on a two point or kit to modify the single points. Before Thanksgiving, it was back burner. I am persuaded that that the heat is being turned up now that VTAC/LaRue is out.

Steve
01-06-07, 07:57
Resq47, that cause you need more padding in your mid section,

(by the way grill goes hot at 1730hrs)

usually i never have issue with single points in my armor etc.. all that kit in the way,

chuck from operations parts should be here tonight too with my new vickers, as well.

jeff's post is head on with lots of good info

LukeMacGillie
01-06-07, 08:33
Just to add a couple points muddy the waters a bit:

1. Vest mounted single points, I dont like them at all. Especially if you find yourself having went ass over teakettle down a hill and into a deep body of water. Release your vest and you lose your weapon also. :eek:

2. Single point slings that have a push button quick release: The push button will get pushed and you could lose your carbine. I cant remember if I posted this story here or not but here it goes: Doing NVG Hoist training with Helo's; Using a single point sling with a KAC QR single point mounting plate/Receive Extension end plate. Rotated my carbine to the weak side, hooked into the hoist, held onto the VFG with my left hand. The pilot had drifted a bit, and I got drug thru the bush,. When I got up into the helo the QR had released at some point in my travels and the only reason I still had my weapon was because I had kept ahold of the VFG.