PDA

View Full Version : Grip Options for SA Professional

Race
03-30-09, 22:35
I'm looking to replace the grips on a SA Professional with some that are not as aggressively checkered. Of course, they need to be cut for the S&A mag well.

I don't mind rubber panels, as long as they are cut for the mag well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chieftain
03-31-09, 01:48
I prefer the original Gunner Grips on all my 1911's, eleven of them.

http://www.simonichknives.com/gunner.htm

ON my CCW Colt I smooth out the roughness on the left hand panel a bit so as to not abrade my soft baby fat. Leave the right side panel nice and rough for the grip I like. All the others I leave both panels rough. Very easy to take down with the proper sand paper. Takes about 5 minutes to get it to the smoothness of choice.

I use the 'square' bottoms on all my 1911's with magwells, and tapered base on those without. Most of my guns have the magwells, and about 4 of them are the Smith & Alexander type.

My Carry CCW is a Colt Gunsite Pistol, with the tapered Gunners mentioned above, and of course no magwell.

Good luck

Fred

Joe R.
03-31-09, 10:18
Gunners are a good choice, get them from Simonich to get the originals.

The other 1911 grips that I really like are the VZ Grips (www.vzgrips.com). They have several styles and I have found them to be exceptionally durable and functional.

decodeddiesel
03-31-09, 13:41
If the stock coco bolos are too aggressive for the OP then VZs or Gunners will be WAY WAY too much. I personally like aggressive grips on my 1911, but to each their own.

OP: I would check out Brownells for something you like, anything with flat bottoms will fit your mag-well.

Race
03-31-09, 14:00
Yeah, the stock grip panels are more aggressive than I'd like. For a short practice session, they're okay, but when shooting a lot without gloves, they aren't fun, anymore.

Thanks again.

Pesty0311
03-31-09, 18:14
Another vote for VZ grips. They are not as aggressive as the pro's or the gunners yet plenty aggressive for shooting.

Edited to add> I use the Gator backs for ccw and a pair of Operators for my zombie gun. The gator backs offer enough grip without leaving my hands grated. The operators on the other hand..I wear gloves with those.

kaltblitz
04-01-09, 10:35
I like Hogue Double-Diamond Checkered Rosewood (the non-laminate kind).

All of my 1911's wear them. I've tried VZ and Gunners and prefer the Hogues.

merge
04-03-09, 01:32
Alumagrips are pretty smooth, with just a little checkering. Nice looking too!

decodeddiesel
04-03-09, 10:12
Alumagrips are pretty smooth, with just a little checkering. Nice looking too!

These may be a good option for the OP.

Race
04-03-09, 12:02
I'm not a fan of Alumagrips, myself. Actually, some regular checkered, double-diamond type Cocobolo grips or some such, would be fine. Most of the ones I've used are not as aggressive as what came on the Professional.

Thanks again.

andrew10736
04-04-09, 22:49
another vote for VZ grips.. I have them on all my 1911s

cop1211
04-05-09, 22:00
Mil-Tac

decodeddiesel
04-05-09, 22:48
Before everyone offers up their opinions on what their favorite 1911 grips are please read the original post. He is looking for grips that are less aggressive that the grips which came on his pistol. Many of the grips recommended here are FAR more aggressive than the stock Pro grips.

Joe R.
04-06-09, 15:39
Actually there are several different styles of VZ grips. Some are less aggressive then others. He very well might be able to find something that suits him.

the1911fan
04-06-09, 16:24
These are good, will fit the magwell and are pretty easy on the hands

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9564&title=1911%20AUTO%20CONTOURED%20GRIPS

wesprt
04-07-09, 18:15
Some of the VZ's are not bad at all when it comes to aggressiveness. I can't reccomend them enough.

cade
04-07-09, 20:58
Check out Raasco...I got a set for one of my 1911's yesterday and am very pleased. Great pricing and 5 days from order to receipt (CA to AL).

http://www.raascogrips.com

DacoRoman
04-08-09, 20:31
Forgive the dumb question, but are all micarta grips pretty much created equally with the quality difference only in the various cuts and patterns, or can one buy poor quality micarta? Is it worth paying a higher price for micarta grips from the more well established vendors?

Race
04-08-09, 20:37
I don't know the answer to that, but I've read that the black Navidrex micarta grips for the Browning Hi Power will turn gray over time. I've not witnessed this, but only read a user's experience.

Limey-
04-09-09, 02:27
When I got my original Gunners from Simonich they came with an instruction to sand down the points to the comfort level of your girly hands. I have done so with multiple sets since.

John Fettes
04-10-09, 12:17
Have you considered knocking some of the sharp edges off the original stocks on your Pro?

John

Race
04-10-09, 14:03
Have you considered knocking some of the sharp edges off the original stocks on your Pro?

John

Yes, but assumed it would look bad after taking off the sealant.

decodeddiesel
04-10-09, 14:51
Yes, but assumed it would look bad after taking off the sealant.

It will. Just get some replacements and leave the stock grips intact.