PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Care

Smuckatelli
03-31-09, 02:41
I went out and shot 260 rounds through the 6721 last week. Range restrictions and target carriage restrictions forced me to go to home depot.

I didn't have a M-49 spotting scope, a cheap pair of 10x50 Steiners is what I had to work with. 200 meter range, so BZO had to be adjusted for that. 2 targets placed, one for BZO, the other for shooting until the range went cold. 4 rounds of 62 grain for BZO, 30 rounds of 55 grain climax shooting.

I checked the target, added 7 clicks elevation and 2 clicks windage....V ring.

The rest of the shoot was leasure shooting from 200 meters, first time that I have shot in 7 years...iron sights, no high speed kiss me f$%^k me gear on the rifle.

Eventually, once the family has mastered iron sights I will buy a scope,,,,,,until then I will be happy with all of the kiss me f%^(k me gear that everyone else has while the 6721 shoots better with the iron sights.

It was better than sex.

mmike87
03-31-09, 07:46
I don't think anyone here will argue that a simple rifle with irons is pretty darned effective ... glad you had a good day at the range!

Kimbo
03-31-09, 13:38
Yep I had a M16A2 issued to me for the better part of my time in the Marines. Then I got an M16A4 with an ACOG. I would take an A2 any day of the week. As far as " I don't care", me and my platoon would always say "charge me or release me, I don't give a damn" haha.

Centerfire
03-31-09, 14:11
Grew up shooting irons, moved to optics recently.

HES
03-31-09, 21:26
I don't think anyone here will argue that a simple rifle with irons is pretty darned effective ... glad you had a good day at the range!
Agreed. But just because irons worked out does not mean that the times have not changed. IIRC Rob S started a thread last year about this. The basic premise was that optics are now the standard and that irons are now back ups and the question was: how should you take a n00b and expose them to shooting. I think its a worth while debate still. My take is that this is the 21st century and they have indeed built a better mouse trap (Quality optics Vs. Irons). Now I know it sounds like heresy but IMO its not, and I learned shooting with irons. I remember in the very early 90s when optics first showed up. Everyone in the company laughed their ass off at the one "space ranger" who had one mounted to the carry handle of his A2. Now look at how things are today. I dont think that optics can be considered extra fluff and stuff. In fact I feel that they are required. The advantages of quality optics (target acquisition, field of view, magnification) are just too good to dismiss them as some sort of whiz-bang sci-fi useless addon. At least that's my humble opinion.

Kimbo
03-31-09, 21:29
Just like land nav skills. You should learn how to use a compass and map first before you use a GPS. That way when the GPS shit's the bed you got the map and compass to rely on.