PDA

View Full Version : which glock for 3 gun/ipsc/idpa?

Stretz Tactical Inc
03-31-09, 16:18
I am realativly new to competitiive shooting. I have shot in the Colt Cup twice years ago, the West Point 3 gun 2 years ago (and will be again in 3 weeks) as well as a local 3 gun law enforcement match. I have over 12 years law enforcement experience, numerous shooting schools, as well as 9 years prior service in the Army Reserve. I currently carry a Glock 22 on duty and a 23 and 26 off duty. I would like to get into more action shooting sports and because of my carry guns, I would like to stay with the glock platform. I was thinking glock 17, 17c, 17L or 34. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with any of these models? Thanks

esskay
04-01-09, 02:50
Depends on what class you're intending to shoot, but likely a G34 or G35 would make you most competitive. G35 if you're shooting IPSC, G34 will be okay if you're just shooting outlaw type matches where they don't care about power factor.

Should add I don't shoot IDPA, so don't have feedback for you on that.

Robb Jensen
04-01-09, 04:49
If you need major power factor I'd recommend the Glock 35, if no power factor requirement then I recommend the Glock 17.

rob_s
04-01-09, 05:29
I've been shooting IDPA for 5+ years and the most common gun among our most serious competitors is the Glock 34. My visits to state matches over the years have supported this same trend.

ToddG
04-01-09, 10:00
I've been shooting IDPA for 5+ years and the most common gun among our most serious competitors is the Glock 34. My visits to state matches over the years have supported this same trend.

The G34 is probably the most ubiquitous pistol in IDPA, no question. However, having shot a few IDPA matches myself, I think you'll find that the majority of those G34 shooters bought it precisely because it was so popular as opposed to any real evaluation on their part.

Personally, fwiw, my advice is to shoot your G22 duty gun. Even if it's at a slight competitive disadvantage, no amount of trophies on the wall is going to be equal to the benefit of more practice and greater competence with your duty gun. Just my $0.02.

rob_s
04-01-09, 10:02
The G34 is probably the most ubiquitous pistol in IDPA, no question. However, having shot a few IDPA matches myself, I think you'll find that the majority of those G34 shooters bought it precisely because it was so popular as opposed to any real evaluation on their part.

That happens for sure, but that's not the guys I'm talking about. Most of the guys, at least in our local club, that wound up with the G34 and are typically at the top of the scores all went through 1911s in .45 and 9mm, other Glocks, etc.

rubberneck
04-01-09, 10:05
In IDPA there is no real advantage to having the longer sight radius of the 34/35. I have shot nationals twice IIRC the longest required shot at either was 25 yards. If you reload I would just run your G22, if not a 17 will do you just fine in either sport.

losbronces
04-01-09, 11:58

Personally, fwiw, my advice is to shoot your G22 duty gun. Even if it's at a slight competitive disadvantage, no amount of trophies on the wall is going to be equal to the benefit of more practice and greater competence with your duty gun. Just my $0.02.

I agree with Todd's advice on using your G22. In IDPA and 3-gun, you can use your service holster as well (note the exception on page 35 of the IDPA rule book that allows for this--you can use your duty belt and holster, but you have to have all of your normal gear attached). The added benefit is you will become more proficient with your service pistol and service rig as you would normally use them.

I don't know the IPSC rules.

Stretz Tactical Inc
04-01-09, 13:09
Thanks for all the input guys.

Todd you make an excellent point and I do need more work with the duty gun - 8lb trigger. I shoot fine with 3.5 and 5.5lb triggers, but that 8lb makes me pull shots to the left. I'm bringing it to a 3 day LAV course in a few months and LAV said he would work with me and that trigger pull issue or "cardinal sin" as he referred to the 8 lb'er.

ToddG
04-01-09, 15:21
KCS -- If you can shoot a 5.5# trigger you can shoot an 8# trigger. It's all about being patient and taking the time to work on the trigger manipulation skills as a goal unto itself rather than trying to rush out and hit small targets far away or hit targets really fast, etc. Work on it dry fire and learn to press the trigger consistently, straight back, until the striker releases without upsetting your sight alignment.

I'm not saying it's easy, but it's certainly doable. A big advantage to the NY/8# trigger is you've got an outstanding trigger reset compared to a standard Glock, so once you get the trigger figured out you'll be ahead of the curve.

The other thing to remember is that someone who can shoot his 8# Glock trigger will be able to pick up just about anything and shoot it well ... whereas the guys who cling to their 3.5# triggers tend to have substantially worse technique and struggle mightily with a heavier trigger.

Stretz Tactical Inc
04-01-09, 17:32
Thanks Todd. I figured it was doable after talking to LAV. Like you said, I need to put in the time. My first duty gun was a glock 19 with a 12lb trigger. It definitely helped me learned trigger rest.

Thanks again.