PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo Versipack - good for a fighting bag?

gjj
03-31-09, 17:41
I have an opportunity to buy a jumbo Versipack very inexpensively. I wanted to get some opinions on how well it would function as a fighting bag? I like the Sneaky bags. But, I don't have the cash for it right now.

Any opinions?

Hell_Bent
03-31-09, 22:13
I have a regular Maxpedition versipack that I used as an "E&E" bag for a year or so in Iraq. It held up to being thrown around inside the vehicles and hauled back and forth to the camp without any complaints.

It still rides in my Jeep with 6 AR mags and an Israeli bandage with assorted odds and ends in the outside pockets some 5 years later. I train with it from time to time and it fits my needs.

On the upside, it's pretty innocuous and commonly seen, the buckles are sturdy and fast and the construction seems to be pretty good (ie: after all this time and more than a little abuse, all the stitching is still intact and it doesn't feel like a beat to hell beanie cover like some bags do as they lose their shape). The belt snap on the back will keep it in place when it's slung if you think to secure it - doesn't end up behind you or beat the hell outta your thigh on the run.

On the downside, there's a drawstring gathering cover inside the main compartment that can slow down or hang up a mag when you rip it out. I keep magpuls on my mags inside mine and it helps. You can cut the cover out or just be careful to fold it in out of the way when you insert the mags. I keep it in as it serves a purpose when I use the bag for other tasks.

ETA: One other testimonial for the construction. I used it to carry a survival kit and handgun on a rafting trip last summer since it had the built in HK hook to secure to the kayak's rigging. After one rough patch, I looked back to see it trailing behind in the water for no telling how long over no telling how many rocks. My Glock, GPS and kit were still secure when I hauled it back in... It's a great bag but a shitty sea anchor...

ETA Redux: I just noticed this is in the "Optics and Mounts" forum. You might get more feedback if you post in the "Tactical Gear" forum...

gjj
04-01-09, 08:20
Thanks. I messed up. I meant it to go in the Gear forum. Can a moderator move this post?

TimW
04-01-09, 12:39
The Jumbo can be nicely used as an everyday bag or a fighting bag If the drawstring "snow collar" is an issue, cut it out. The only downside is the flap/buckle closure, but that's endemic with most "active shooter" or go-bags that are on the low-profile side of the gear continuum.