PDA

View Full Version : Hoppes Elite

M4arc
06-25-06, 08:53
Has anyone tried the new (at least I think its new) Hoppes Elite products? If so, what are your thoughts?

I know, I still need to try the Slip 2000 stuff but I was given some free samples of the Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner and lube oil and so far I'm impressed. Well, I'm impressed with the cleaner; it really makes cleaning a snap, even the dirtest of carbines clean up with relative ease compared to CLP. I haven't run my carbines enough with the lube to say it works, yet.

Any way, I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this new product.

Robb Jensen
06-25-06, 09:08
The Hoppes is good stuff. It doesn't stink to bad either.
I have some at work I use occasionally.

I'm still using my Slip2000 degreaser concentrate that I bought a gallon in April 2005. It's a 4 to 1 mix and I still have over 1/2 gallon. After cleaning with it usually lube it back up with CLP, Militec-1, or Slip2000 lube whichevers in reach. ;)

Slips Carbon Cutter is the sh** for cleaning bolts and carriers. If I have the luxury of time I usually soak them for a few hours and the carbon on the back of the bolt will rub right off with a towel.

M4arc
06-25-06, 09:18
Yeah the Elite stuff says it's non-toxic and biodegradable which is nice. I can clean a bore with 3 patches now instead of 12 with CLP and bolt and chamber clean up is easy. I cleaned my 10.5" on Friday and they whole thing took about 15 minutes (compared to 45 using just CLP) and it's MUCH cleaner than its ever been.

I'm impressed so far but I've only used it on one carbine and two Glocks thus far.

I need to order some SLIP2000 from Bravo Company and try that as well :D

Voodoochild
06-25-06, 09:48
Has anyone used the Slip 2000 parts washers? They look like it would make cleaning a breeze.

Rmplstlskn
06-30-06, 12:38
My expereince with Hoppe's Elite is that it is not very good on copper. It works GREAT on my FAL, pistols and Swiss K31, but my M4gery with Colt barrel seems to get strong copper fouling and the Elite only gets under the fouling, causing it to flake up.

It was a used barrel so it may have something to do with how it was broken in those first 100 or so rounds. All I know, my M4 is a PITA to clean out the copper.

Also, the Elite will EAT your WOOD FINISH... so beware if you use it on something with a nice wood finish.

Other than that, I love it!

Rmpl :(