PDA

View Full Version : Non-Rotating Trigger and Hammer Pins

Ring
03-31-09, 22:37
my hammer pin likes to walk out, is this the only solution?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26944&title=GEN.%202%20MOD.%202%20NON-ROTATING%20PIN%20SET

Puffy93
03-31-09, 22:46
I believe brownells also sells anti-walk pins made by J.P. Enterprises, I have not tried them but the KNS set seams better.

Ring
03-31-09, 22:54
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7589&title=AR-15%20ANTI-WALK%20PINS

the JP's are 1/3 the price, anyone else make these?

Shihan
04-01-09, 00:31
I would go with the KNS as they work and they work well. i have them in every lower I own.

Robb Jensen
04-01-09, 06:39
If you're hammer pin is walking you need a new hammer and or pin.

103M 95G
04-01-09, 08:10
One of my guns would do this all the time. the problem was that the hammer did not have the "J" spring installed, which was overlooked during the build. it has since been fixed.

Ring
04-01-09, 10:14
i have a 2 stage match trigger in it

Iraqgunz
04-01-09, 15:01
+ 1. What he said.

If you're hammer pin is walking you need a new hammer and or pin.

Mark15
04-01-09, 16:47
I don't understand the need for these. On a Service Rifle, these anti-walk pins are against the rules. They constitute an outer modification of the rifle.

I haven't seen these on a military rifle, but then I don't get out much.

Every rifle I have built, 4 now, have had the trigger and hammer pins rotate during operation. A controlled application of Loctite 262 seems to fix this issue.

Is there anyone that can educate me if this is an unacceptable practice?

Mark15

Iraqgunz
04-01-09, 20:17
Next question. Why? Who gives a rats ass if the pins rotate, seriously? Shoot the weapon. If your pins start walking loose down the road then replace the pins or the appropriate springs. The carbines in my armory have been in use since 2005 and I think I have a "few" that have had issues.

I don't understand the need for these. On a Service Rifle, these anti-walk pins are against the rules. They constitute an outer modification of the rifle.

I haven't seen these on a military rifle, but then I don't get out much.

Every rifle I have built, 4 now, have had the trigger and hammer pins rotate during operation. A controlled application of Loctite 262 seems to fix this issue.

Is there anyone that can educate me if this is an unacceptable practice?

Mark15

pah151
04-01-09, 20:21
Ring,
If you don't mind me asking, what type of lower are you using and who's parts kit. I've only seen this happen on one rifle before. The lower was a CD and the parts kit was from Colt. The pins would actually slip when the lower was turned on its side without the hammer or trigger installed.

Iraqgunz
04-01-09, 20:56
Last time I checked (and I have one in the safe) CD lowers use .155 pins. Colt pins only come in .155 or .170. Sounds to me like the lower must have been out spec. Assuming that someone didn't monkey **** the lower.

Ring,
If you don't mind me asking, what type of lower are you using and who's parts kit. I've only seen this happen on one rifle before. The lower was a CD and the parts kit was from Colt. The pins would actually slip when the lower was turned on its side without the hammer or trigger installed.

Ring
04-02-09, 09:11
Ring,

i can go mic the pins, but the pins are from Sherluk, the trigger/hammer is a armtlite 2 stage, same as rock river

the lower is http://www.superiorarms.com/products_main.php?pid=22

all but the trigger is new

Mark15
04-02-09, 10:59
I care.

My thinking is if the pins can't rotate, they can't walk. I don't leave an issue pending to fix down the road on purpose.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, just passing on a little thing that worked for me. I guess if no one cared about rotating or walking pins, there would be no sales for anti-walk pins.
These kits are against the DCM's rules for Service Rifle. Perhaps this could be considered a fix that a different discipline uses.

Mark15

Iraqgunz
04-02-09, 12:04
You are missing the point. The pins don't walk because they rotate. They walk because of the following;

A. The "J" spring in the hammer is worn or missing.

B. The hammer spring is worn and needs to be replaced.

C. Someone lacking brain cells has screwed up their lower receiver pin holes.

D. The pins themselves are out of spec or potentially worn.

Anti-walk pins are for lazy people who don't want to do proper maintenance in my opinion. I have a few days of experience with the M16 FOW and I have yet to see any large amount of pins "walking".

I care.

My thinking is if the pins can't rotate, they can't walk. I don't leave an issue pending to fix down the road on purpose.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, just passing on a little thing that worked for me. I guess if no one cared about rotating or walking pins, there would be no sales for anti-walk pins.
These kits are against the DCM's rules for Service Rifle. Perhaps this could be considered a fix that a different discipline uses.

Mark15

CarlosDJackal
04-02-09, 12:55
I've used both but settled down on this KNS model: KNS Pin set (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13801&title=AR-15/M16%20NON-ROTATING%20PIN%20SET) because it gives me a tactile reference to place my trigger finger on. YMMV.

QuietShootr
04-02-09, 13:06
i can go mic the pins, but the pins are from Sherluk,

Think I just identified your problem. Sherluk is cheap-ass Chinese made shit.

pretorian
04-03-09, 02:17
I never had this problem but from a mechanical point of view a rotating steel pin will eventually enlarge the hole in an aluminum receiver , won't it?

handyandy
04-03-09, 08:36
I tried a set just because I like to tinker with stuff and what I found is that it significantly improves the trigger pull. Not the wieght that it breaks at so much, but it really smooths out the take-up. It does such a good job I put them in all of my ARs. It's worth spending $35 to improve the trigger pull. YMMV.

decodeddiesel
04-03-09, 08:48
You are missing the point. The pins don't walk because they rotate. They walk because of the following;

A. The "J" spring in the hammer is worn or missing.

B. The hammer spring is worn and needs to be replaced.

C. Someone lacking brain cells has screwed up their lower receiver pin holes.

D. The pins themselves are out of spec or potentially worn.

Anti-walk pins are for lazy people who don't want to do proper maintenance in my opinion. I have a few days of experience with the M16 FOW and I have yet to see any large amount of pins "walking".

Damn well said.

Being a company armorer in a line unit in the 101st we had a LOT of M4s with "heavy use" :D and I saw exactly 1 that had a problem with the pins walking. The solution was after ensuring the receiver holes were still true I replaced the FCG and it's associated pins. Problem solved.

Also who in the F is Sherluk??

Ring
04-03-09, 11:54
the pins mic'ed .153
the reciver .155

the problem is there is no "J" spring on the hammer
http://www.armalite.com/images/large%20images/NMTRIGGERSETlarge.jpg

on some of the US Army marksmen ship team guns i saw that they took a center punch and tapped 4 dents around the pins on the reciver

RojasTKD
04-03-09, 14:11
I tried a set just because I like to tinker with stuff and what I found is that it significantly improves the trigger pull. Not the wieght that it breaks at so much, but it really smooths out the take-up. It does such a good job I put them in all of my ARs. It's worth spending $35 to improve the trigger pull. YMMV.

Main reason I got one.

Plus it will prevent the pin from rotating and enlarging the hole over time. Granted it would not likely happen in my lifetime, but why not have it for my grandson or great great grandson. It doesn't hert anything and I like how it looks too.

Iraqgunz
04-03-09, 14:38
DD,

Sherluk sells crap. Not sure if they crap it in-house or import it or what.

Damn well said.

Being a company armorer in a line unit in the 101st we had a LOT of M4s with "heavy use" :D and I saw exactly 1 that had a problem with the pins walking. The solution was after ensuring the receiver holes were still true I replaced the FCG and it's associated pins. Problem solved.

Also who in the F is Sherluk??