PDA

View Full Version : Ok to pop cherry with .22 conversion?

rborst
03-31-09, 22:54
This may be a dumb question but I don't want to risk harming my new BCM middy upper. Here's the deal, The Y/M bcg I have on order has not shipped yet but my spikes .22 conversion will be arriving tomorrow. I am anxious to get out and test both the new upper and the conversion. Is there any problem in putting a brick or two of .22 through the upper before it has ever seen any 5.56?

supersix4
03-31-09, 23:15
doubt it, I use a boresnake and 5.56 FMJ to clean out the remnants left by 22lr

Puffy93
03-31-09, 23:18
If you plan on breaking in the barrel you should probably do that with 5.56/.223 first.

Shihan
04-01-09, 00:29
I just got a new complete Spikes .22 upper and it has some real bad JUJU. They are sending a replacement BCG for it as it was major FUBAR.

rborst
04-01-09, 00:33
If you plan on breaking in the barrel you should probably do that with 5.56/.223 first.

This is not meant to be a target rifle so no break in required.

I just got a new complete Spikes .22 upper and it has some real bad JUJU. They are sending a replacement BCG for it as it was major FUBAR.

Thanks for the encouragement:(

Shihan
04-01-09, 04:41
This is not meant to be a target rifle so no break in required.

Thanks for the encouragement:(

Well it only fired when releasing the chargin handle so no biggie:eek: It almost turned out very, very bad.

OldNavyGuy
04-01-09, 09:18
when it comes to AR-15, .22 conversion kits and dedicated .22LR uppers i do not believe anyone can beat this one http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/catalog/M4%20L2.jpg

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=27&idproduct=877

PLEASE PAY STRICT ATTENTION TO THIS WARNING !!

NOTE TO USER: Tactical Solutions does not recommend the use of Remington® Golden Bullets™ .22LR Bulk Ammunition in the AR-22 Conversion.

dmcutter
04-01-09, 12:33
What's the deal on the Remmington Golden Bullets? I was just shooting those the other day in my Ciener conversion in my LWRC.

Shihan
04-01-09, 13:16
Shooters World here in az and they may have it and be able to ship had a complete TacSol M4 .22lr upper for 599.00. It was nice to see it at retail and I would have bought it but my Spikes arrived the same day I saw it.

rborst
04-01-09, 14:18
Any more input with regards to my original question?

hatt
04-01-09, 14:25
I'd shoot the hell out of it and not worry.

decodeddiesel
04-01-09, 14:26
Any more input with regards to my original question?

No kidding! He isn't asking what conversion kit is best or what your experiences have been he's asking if he should fire .22lr through his weapon before he fires .223.

My feeling on the subject is it would probably be better for you to wait and fire quality .223 or better yet 5.56 out of your new upper. However the mechanical engineer in me says .22 should be fine for now. I would just limit the number of rounds your firing and be sure to clean the bore with a high quality solvent after.

If it were an SPR barrel or target barrel of some kind I would recommend that you never fire a .22 conversion through it, however iut being a high quality 4150 chrome lined barrel I think you're fine.

rborst
04-01-09, 15:05
No kidding! He isn't asking what conversion kit is best or what your experiences have been he's asking if he should fire .22lr through his weapon before he fires .223.

My feeling on the subject is it would probably be better for you to wait and fire quality .223 or better yet 5.56 out of your new upper. However the mechanical engineer in me says .22 should be fine for now. I would just limit the number of rounds your firing and be sure to clean the bore with a high quality solvent after.

If it were an SPR barrel or target barrel of some kind I would recommend that you never fire a .22 conversion through it, however iut being a high quality 4150 chrome lined barrel I think you're fine.

Thank you that is what I was looking for.

Shihan
04-01-09, 15:40

It was answered in the 2rd post.