PDA

View Full Version : Assembled in...

03-31-09, 22:57
I KNOW this topic is going to get heated. It's a given when talking about subjects like this.

Do you guys accept stuff that has components made elsewhere but assembled here in the USA?

Remember, this is a general question. I'm not bringing up certain brands or companies and origin of parts. THIS IS A GENERAL QUESTION.

Puffy93
03-31-09, 23:00
I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "accept"? Do you mean that one would be willing to use stuff with components made else where or are you asking if it offends anyone?

03-31-09, 23:02
I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "accept"?

Parts from XXXX, assembled in the USA.

"This is fine. It was put together by US workers."

Parts from XXXX, assembled in the USA.

"It's crap. It wasn't 100% produced here in the USA."

RWK
03-31-09, 23:10
Do you guys accept stuff that has components made elsewhere but assembled here in the USA?

Depends upon the component(s) and where "elsewhere" is.

Puffy93
03-31-09, 23:11
I think don't that everything has to be made in the US but if it's something that is mainly only used in Here it should probably made here.

Just my .02 cents

bpd315
03-31-09, 23:12
IMHO, people may complain about items not 100% American made but you may be hard pressed to find many items these days that are. I am sure the list of what is NOT 100% American made is longer than the list of things that are. For instance, I do not know where the raw materials came from that went into every piece of my AR. Were they 100% American? One may be hard pressed to know for sure. Just my thought.

Ridge_Runner_5
03-31-09, 23:22
IMHO, people may complain about items not 100% American made but you may be hard pressed to find many items these days that are.

Quoted for great justice. I cant think of anything made entirely in the USA...

chadbag
04-01-09, 01:13
I KNOW this topic is going to get heated. It's a given when talking about subjects like this.

Remember, this is a general question. I'm not bringing up certain brands or companies and origin of parts. THIS IS A GENERAL QUESTION.

Are you talking about gun parts? Or just stuff in general?

kal
04-01-09, 01:19
The whole idea about buying 100% Made in America is silly.

So long as what ever a person is looking for is of good quality and affordable, then buy it!

Today, I can't see how a person would live a comfortable life trying to buy 100% American.

It's impossible.

chadbag
04-01-09, 01:26
For gun parts I look for made in USA or at least one of our nominal allies (like Sweden for aimpoints). I have some Brazilian made lever actions from Rossi/Puma (by Rossi).

I won't put Chinese crap on my guns.

I do have some Chinese made for an American company accessories (chronograph, boresnakes [which used to be made in the USA but are now made in China) but won't put Chinese crap on my gun itself.

For general day to day living stuff, if I can avoid Chinese made stuff I will but I don't go looking since most things you buy are made elsewhere now-a-days. Or its not obvious, or whatever. But if I have a choice between a non-US made item and a US made item I will choose the US made item as long as the cost "penalty" is not huge. Bought a toilet plunger a while back. They had two on the shelf -- one made in Korea, one in the USA. So I bought the US one (which was also coincidentally less expensive).

Gentoo
04-01-09, 05:41
The problem with the whole "Buy USA made" is where do you draw the line?

I want to buy a shirt, made in USA. OK so does that mean

1. Sewn in the USA
2. Fabric made in the USA
3. From cotton picked in the USA
4. With thread from the USA
5. With buttons from the USA
6. Dyed with ink from the USA
7. Sewed on a machine from USA
etc
etc
etc

Where do you stop?

Urabus23
04-01-09, 06:07
Where a product is made doesn't usually bother me. If it's a made in USA it's a plus, but cost and quality are the most important to me. I like my Subaru but I also shoot a S&W.

Paul45
04-01-09, 11:20
If it were not for electronic cpmponents nade off-shore, we would still be back in the vaccum tube days. It depends on the STUFF! GET THE BEST!!!! Screw the rest!

04-01-09, 15:15
Where a product is made doesn't usually bother me. If it's a made in USA it's a plus, but cost and quality are the most important to me. I like my Subaru but I also shoot a S&W.

This is my train of thought. Assembled/made in the USA is always a plus...

I don't mind paying a bit more for quality products no matter where they are made.

chadbag
04-01-09, 15:20
The wife likes to buy Edamame (podded soybeans). Costco and many other stores all carry them. All come from China. We take a pass...

Most other places would be OK but China I try to avoid for food products (and everything else I can)

R Moran
04-01-09, 17:59
Back when I was in HS and delivering newspapers, 1984/5 or so, there was an article in the New York Daily News, maybe Newsday, I delivered both, anyway..

It was about products that were actually 100% made in the USA, materials, screws, etc. while they found a lot that came close, most had some small parts, like fasteners, screws bolts etc that were made offshore.
They came up with 3 items that were 100% made in the USA...

1- American Bible
2- Louisville Slugger baseball bats
3- Remington Rifles and Shotguns

They dismissed the bibles and bats, as there really wasn't much "manufacturing" involved, and visited the Remington plant, pretty interesting.
that was only 3 companies in the 80's, don't think its gotten better over the years.

It killed me to buy my Toyota, but GM wasn't making the truck I wanted, the one that came close, 3 GMC dealerships didn't have one on the lot, or knew anything of value about them, Toyota, trucks as far as the eye could see, and a little sticker that said 60% of the parts were made in the US and the final assembly point was California(close enough to the US I guess;)) its probably more American then the Chevy/gmc I was looking at.

Do what you can and try and support American workers, and not enemies of the US etc etc, but you know what, maybe if American companies were actually making what we wanted, and American workers didn't price themselves out of the market, it'd be a lot easier.

Bob