PDA

View Full Version : Spikes .22 Upper WARNING

Shihan
04-01-09, 04:51
Ok guys I normally dont bitch too much about products but I want this one to go for safety.

Also Spikes is sending me a replacement .22 BCG and have been very good through this but I think this should go out as a warning to those who who are getting either a Spikes dedicated .22 upper or .22 conversion.

I took a dedicated .22 Spikes upper out to run it through its paces and it malf'd from the start, it did double feeds, failure to return to battey, stuck cases, faiures to extract, etc no biggie as it is what it is and these things can be fixed. However
the gun decided to go FA on me and thats not so good but the major bad thing is it fired on me when I released the charging handle almost blowing off a foot. This could have went very badly and I could have been an in prison gimp foot or worse.

crossgun
04-01-09, 05:03
An obvious reason why muzzle discipline is just so important all the time. Glad to hear it didn’t get to ugly.

Rik
04-01-09, 08:12
Let us know which offending part(s) caused all these inconveniences.

Stephen_H
04-01-09, 08:17
With a blowback conversion like that I'm putting my money on a stuck firing pin.

Stephen

Littlelebowski
04-01-09, 08:25
Good info indeed. Glad everything worked out. Worst case could be an injury and the BATF persecuting you.

thopkins22
04-01-09, 09:03
Mine has been great from day one. I wonder if it was a machining error, or if the nickel coating was applied too thick. Do they feel like this problem was connected to all your function problems you had before it went F/A?

markm
04-01-09, 09:24
Not the first Spikes horror story I've heard. I've saved myself so much grief by shooting 22 ammo through my.....

10/22!!! :eek:

Shihan
04-01-09, 13:13
The firing pin was moving freely on it and it was one of those "Oh thats real bad" responses. They knew what it was by the tone of the convo but wouldnt let the cat out of the bag. Im guessing im not the first by how it sounded. I hate throwing someone under the bus and the people at Spikes are great but I just would have felt like crap if someone got hurt and I didnt open my trap.

Bimmer
04-01-09, 23:14
An obvious reason why muzzle discipline is just so important all the time.

+1

What turned out to be the problem with it?

Bimmer

decodeddiesel
04-02-09, 10:12
Thanks for posting this Shihan, I have been seriously think about purchasing one of these uppers and now I think my money would be better spent else where.

Shihan
04-02-09, 17:35
+1

What turned out to be the problem with it?

Bimmer

I still have no idea what caused the problems. My replacement bolt should be here anytime today and im sure they wont disclose what caused the FUBAR.

Shihan
04-02-09, 17:37
Thanks for posting this Shihan, I have been seriously think about purchasing one of these uppers and now I think my money would be better spent else where.

I wasnt trying to push anyone not to buy one but just to be overly careful with a new one as mine did some dangerous and funky stuff.

psdiver102
04-02-09, 18:39
Mine runs perfect. But i have heard of people needing to tune theirs. This is the first i have heard of one going auto.

ghost762
04-03-09, 06:48
This has me worried. My upper just shipped from Spike's the other day.:confused:

decodeddiesel
04-03-09, 09:27
I wasnt trying to push anyone not to buy one but just to be overly careful with a new one as mine did some dangerous and funky stuff.

I understand. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

militarymoron
04-03-09, 16:22
Shihan,
thanks for sharing your experience. i have a .22LR spike's upper and the conversion .22LR barrel for my LMT MRP. both run like champs after a bit of tuning the spring, and i've never had a slam fire like that.
however, your experience is a great reminder to always point your weapon in a safe direction, because who knows when your firing pin might have a burr or get stuck from dirt, and the next time you load a .22LR round into the chamber it goes off.

ghost762
04-09-09, 21:13
I just got my Upper today. Nice setup, just kind of worried that the bolt doesent slam home all the way when chambering a round and the slide stop does not work.

Impact
04-09-09, 22:31
mine works great ! love it. cheap training.

ghost762
04-10-09, 03:26
I just lubed the bolt with some gunners oil. It seems to work a little better. The bolt still will not lock in the back position with the bolt release lever. It might be my RRA lower not quite working with the new upper. I'm going to shoot it this weekend and see what happens.

Alaskapopo
04-10-09, 04:18
Mine runs great with Federal bulk pack but nothing else. I can live with that. Its also been safe.
Pat

thopkins22
04-10-09, 08:39
The bolt still will not lock in the back position with the bolt release lever. It might be my RRA lower not quite working with the new upper.

It's not supposed to.;)

jasonhgross
04-10-09, 13:44
Not the first Spikes horror story I've heard. I've saved myself so much grief by shooting 22 ammo through my.....

10/22!!! :eek:

Same here, but I use a .22 bolt conversion kit. I wont retell my own spikes problem/story.

Shihan
04-10-09, 15:33
I just got my Upper today. Nice setup, just kind of worried that the bolt doesent slam home all the way when chambering a round and the slide stop does not work.

FYI theres no slide on an AR thats a pistol thing and is a bolt catch. However on these conversions the bolt catch dosent work.