PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense piston Omega rail 7"

Robb Jensen
04-01-09, 07:32
This rail will fit the LWRC, POF and Ares conversions uppers.
It's a 3pc rail which allows the front top piece to be removed for cleaning.
It's a great design.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Daniel%20Defense/DDpistonOmegarail001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Daniel%20Defense/DDpistonOmegarail003.jpg

Sttrongbow
04-01-09, 13:44
I love the DD Omega 7.0 on my LE6020. FANTASTIC rail.

I'm guessing this is intended for use on the base M6 models? Would it work for the M6A1 or M6A2? Those both lack the Delta ring, so I'm guessing not.

Not that I'm interested in replacing the ARM-R rail on my M6A2, I'm just curious... and love the DD Omega.

30 cal slut
04-01-09, 13:54
perfect timing.

i wanted to get one of those for a bushmaster (pof gen I) piston upper.

do you have to remove the gas block to drop this rail in?

Robb Jensen
04-01-09, 15:57
perfect timing.

i wanted to get one of those for a bushmaster (pof gen I) piston upper.

do you have to remove the gas block to drop this rail in?

If you have a stock bbl nut and delta ring assy on the gun you won't have to pull the barrel or gas block.

lmmmmm
04-01-09, 16:33
the bottom is removable if that functionality is not required.

KiraX105
04-01-09, 20:42
I have that same rail on a PWS piston conversion. Works splendidly :)

30 cal slut
04-02-09, 11:06
got m4,

thx for the heads-up.

didn't see anyone online stocking them, so i called up DD this morning.

they have a few they can ship by taking order over the phone.

good thing i called, because they have two sizes of the piston rail system ... one for "wide" profiles and another for narrower profiles.

-slut

decodeddiesel
04-03-09, 10:07
Not too big on piston ARs, but that's pretty cool!

30 cal slut
04-09-09, 08:22
i got mine and installed it last night on a POF Gen 1 upper remarketed by Bushmaster.

installation was a snap ...

1. remove handguards
2. assemble the three rail pieces onto the upper
3. tighten 4 tension screws to delta ring with supplied wrench
4. tighten six rail retaining screws with flathead screwdriver.

if you have an accessory rail mount (i.e., for a sling attachment point) that "slides in" that you want to install on the side rails ... then slide them in BEFORE you install the rail system on the upper (i couldn't figure out a way to do it otherwise).

the front end of the rail system does not come into contact with or tuck into the handguard cap (i'm assuming this is normal - do let me know if it's not).

the fit is snug, and there is no rattling or shifting like you would experience with ordinary handguards.

we'll see how this works out.

there are tradeoffs for having a free float rail on my gun ... it takes a little more effort to remove it than a regular handguard.

unlike a direct impingement system, in the POF/Bushy design there is gas being released onto the barrel from underneath the piston system. this means that if you're anal retentive, you might need to remove the rail system to get at the crud buildup on the barrel.

i am also anticipating that the rail system will get hot with repeated firing and during the summer months when in direct sunlight.

i'll try to post pics later.

Lawdog-1
04-09-09, 13:33
gotm4, do you have any photos of the Omega Earth color rail?

Robb Jensen
04-09-09, 15:08
gotm4, do you have any photos of the Omega Earth color rail?

No, but it should match the brown of the Mk18 rail.

ROADKING
04-09-09, 16:26
I would get the VLTOR CASV system its alot nicer and acts as a freefloat system and drops in just like the omega rail.

dbldragon
04-17-09, 23:05
Just finished mounting one on a Bushmaster with their Gas Piston Conversion (the remarketed Ares system).

Tech note for anyone needing it in the future: The Bushy Gas Piston system uses a barrel/spigot clamp that, when mounting the DD Piston Omega Rail, you can simply remove and do away with. It's basically unnecessary. It's my understanding that Bushy's contract with Ares was for 1 yr., and is about to run out - and when it does, Ares will be beginning production again (without the barrel clamp).

RD62
04-18-09, 08:50
I would get the VLTOR CASV system its alot nicer and acts as a freefloat system and drops in just like the omega rail.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. The Omega is Free Float, and is less expensive, doesn't raise the top rail, comes with rail panels, and is AVAILABLE. The VLTOR is nice too but like the MUR and VIS as well as some of their other products, have been difficult at best to get a hold of

The VLTOR is a nice system, as is all there products that I have experience with. However, it is a different solution to a similar situation.

-RD62

welchtactical
11-04-09, 03:50
Daniel Defense needs to do one that works with the LWRCi's M6A2 and Im in for one black, one FDE (and I doubt I'd be the only one!:D). Maybe one in rifle and one in Mid-length. I like the changes made to the LWRC ARM-R that came with my M6A3, Rounded corners and internal QD points.

variablebinary
11-04-09, 03:56
Not a FAN of the POF rail at all. Something like this would help

I like LWRC rail just fine

Auxiliaryjohn
11-04-09, 12:32
Just put one on my CMMC Piston Upper, Looks great!