PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4 LE6920

Chas_97
04-01-09, 10:38
I have a question regarding an upgrade I was considering for my Colt M4 carbine. I want to use the Troy rear flip up battle sight, but I’m unsure if the Troy rear sight will work with the OEM front sight post.

The other option that is a bit more expensive is to go with the Daniel Defense Lite 12.0 rail & Daniel Defense Low Profile Gas Block and use the front and rear Troy sights.

Will the Troy rear flip up sight work with the OEM front sight post?

Is the DD 12.0 Lite rail the correct rail to use if I want to go with the Troy front flip up sight?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Charles

John_Wayne777
04-01-09, 10:44
I have a question regarding an upgrade I was considering for my Colt M4 carbine. I want to use the Troy rear flip up battle sight, but I’m unsure if the Troy rear sight will work with the OEM front sight post.

It should work just fine with the stock FSB, as would the other replacement rear sights out there. (KAC, LMT, LaRue, etc...)

Is the DD 12.0 Lite rail the correct rail to use if I want to go with the Troy front flip up sight?

The 12.0 lite rail would require removing the FSB on the 6920 and replacing it with another gas block. If you want to go that route (and again, it is not necessary) you certainly can and the DD 12.0 Lite rail is certainly a very nice rail system to do that with.

It's a bit spendy just to get a flip-down sight setup, in my opinion, but you may be fabulously wealthy. ;)

Chas_97
04-01-09, 10:57
Thanks for the confirmation Pilllll--grim.

One thing I failed to mention is that I want the benefits of the rail system, too. :)

The OEM rear sight that comes with the Colt LE6920 looks like a good sight. I've not done any target shooting with that sight though. Are the elevation and windage adjustment increments 1 MOA for botht the Colt OEM rear sight and the Troy flip up rear sight? I'm guessing they are, but 1/2 MOA is my preference since I'll be primarily using this rifle for target shooting at the range. And yes this rifle's secondary use is for home/property protection. I just want to make sure that I'm not downgrading my rear sight by going from the Colt OEM rear sight to the Troy flip up sight. Also are the other brands of flip up sights any better? Who is the best as far as MOA granularity, sight picture, etc.?

Thanks!

Mung
04-01-09, 11:34
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I wouldn't mess with the fixed front sight.

PlatoCATM
04-01-09, 11:53
See this post first; I think it was written for you.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658

Learn how to manipulate your weapon and shoot it first. Then, decide based on necessity what you need to put on it. Since you said HD will be one of the uses, you may need a backup iron sight rather than the carry handle, but it doesn't have to flip up/down. A red dot will be advantageous for quick hits. A rail could then be added if you want the VFG and a light, but a rail system doesn't have to be a free float. Decide what you need and then check your options. Don't forget the search function on here.

Chas_97
04-01-09, 15:41
I'm posting my question/s about the Troy flip up battle sight again. I'm not asking if anyone thinks I should or should not modify my rifle. I've shot about 450 rounds through this rifle, but I just want to make sure that if and when I do spring for the Daniel Defense Lite 12.0 rail and low profile gas block that I'm buying the "best" front and rear flip up sights available. I'm not on a tight budget, and being frugal is not a major concern especially when it comes to my beloved Colt M4.

Does anyone know the answer to these questions below? SOME (BUT CERTAINLY NOT ALL) of you will need to read very carefully, maybe even read it 3-4 times and think about exactly what I'm asking:

The OEM rear sight that comes with the Colt LE6920 looks like a good sight. I've not done any target shooting with that sight, becuase I've been using an AimPoint Comp ML3 (which I just sold b/c I didn't like it). Are the elevation and windage adjustment increments 1 MOA for botht the Colt OEM rear sight and the Troy flip up rear sight? I'm guessing they are, but 1/2 MOA is my preference since I'll be primarily using this rifle for target shooting at the range. And yes this rifle's secondary use is for home/property protection. I just want to make sure that I'm not downgrading my rear sight by going from the Colt OEM rear sight to the Troy flip up sight. Also are the other brands of flip up sights any better? Who is the best as far as MOA granularity, sight picture, etc.?

Chas_97
04-01-09, 15:50
See this post first; I think it was written for you.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658

Learn how to manipulate your weapon and shoot it first. Then, decide based on necessity what you need to put on it. Since you said HD will be one of the uses, you may need a backup iron sight rather than the carry handle, but it doesn't have to flip up/down. A red dot will be advantageous for quick hits. A rail could then be added if you want the VFG and a light, but a rail system doesn't have to be a free float. Decide what you need and then check your options. Don't forget the search function on here.

I'm versed on how to shoot my weapon/s. Actually I said that home defense is the secondary purpose of the particular M4 being discussed here. The carry handle is useless to me since I've been taught to never carry that weapon like a breadbasket and therefore will NEVER carry that weapon by the "carry handle". I used to have an Aimpoint Comp ML3 for this weapon, but got rid of it after firing about 450 rounds with the Aimpoint optic. My main reasons for getting rid of the Aimpoint was b/c the red dot was not a dot, but more like a splotch (not round) & I simply found the Aimpoint somewhat cumbersome and heavy. I have decided what I want/need for this rifle and I am checking my options. Also the link to the thread you sent me has nothing to do with my question/s. My question/s are in regard to specific technical details about the Troy flip up battle sight/s. I also ask if anyone thinks that there are better flip up sights than the Troy. Thanks anyway though.

Pk14
04-01-09, 16:10
from their website product description. The elevation adjustment on the front sight is the standard A2 post configuration. As a sponsor of this site with a tile that launches to their front page, it was exactly three total clicks to answer the objective part of your question. :)

Cheers,
Pk

Chas_97
04-01-09, 16:18
Question:

Why does a person log on the M4Carbine.net, answer one out of three questions for a given thread, and then tease me about how it took him three clicks of the mouse once on the Troy website?

Answer:

This person does not get laid on a regular basis.:D

PlatoCATM
04-01-09, 17:47
The Troy is generally considered to be the best flip-up sight for those who do not need elevation adjustment, which limits the useful range of this sight to within 300m (probably more like 250). You did not specify the greatest intended range. I know of only two flip-ups that offer elevation adjustment: matech and knight. The matech is shit, and I don't have any experience with the knight but it does bear their name FWIW.

Now, since you didn't ask, here is more advice. A flip up rear buis is good to allow mounting of optics, and also to keep from cluttering sight picture through optics. Because you regressed from an RDS to irons, a flip up seems unnecessary. There are fixed sights available by LMT and Larue (and DD if you find someone willing to sell one off their rifle). Since you never plan on carrying your rifle like a bread basket, if you find you like the sights on the carry handle you can switch it out for an LMT that mimics carry handle sights. I like my fixed DD buis for its simplicity. A fixed buis isn't necessarily bad with optics, either, as you can mount an RDS high enough for a lower third co-witness.

AirTrafficControl
04-01-09, 20:12
If you do decide to take off the carry handle I'd be willing to purchase it to help fund your mods...ATC

Rider79
04-01-09, 21:03
Answer:

This person does not get laid on a regular basis.:D

Wow. Was that really necessary? :(

Tango2249
04-21-09, 18:07
Wow. Was that really necessary? :(

Maybe he should make comments like that on arfcom...