PDA

View Full Version : Colt MT6400C and Adjustable Stock

RussellAthletic
04-01-09, 11:37
Please excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to AR's. I recently acquired my first AR, a Colt 6400c. It has the fixed stock and I am interested in putting a Magpul CTR on it. What additional parts do I need to make my rifle compatible with adjustable stocks?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

andy t
04-01-09, 14:11
You need the following parts:
CAR Receiver extension - mil-spec preferred
buffer (Probably H-buffer)
CAR buffer spring
retainer plate
castle nut
Then, you can get one of the many stocks available that fit on standard receiver extensions (MOE,CTR,VLTOR, etc...)
However, if you just want a standard USGI type stock, here is a good complete package:
M4 Stock Kit (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black%20-%20gen2.htm)

Jim from Houston
04-01-09, 14:40
You don't live in a state with restrictions on "assault weapons", right?

If your state has no AWB, then fine, but beware that the MT6400c has a fixed stock to allow it to be sold in certain states (like New Jersey) where it would otherwise be classified as an "Assault Weapon" and be banned...if your state has an AWB, converting to an adjustable stock might magically turn your MT6400c into an "assault weapon".

If you live in a state with no AWB, disregard the above...just wanted to give a heads-up.

RussellAthletic
04-01-09, 14:42
You need the following parts:
CAR Receiver extension - mil-spec preferred
buffer (Probably H-buffer)
CAR buffer spring
retainer plate
castle nut
Then, you can get one of the many stocks available that fit on standard receiver extensions (MOE,CTR,VLTOR, etc...)
However, if you just want a standard USGI type stock, here is a good complete package:
M4 Stock Kit (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black%20-%20gen2.htm)

Thanks for the help.

Would a kit like this work?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/stock%20hardware%20kit.htm

You don't live in a state with restrictions on "assault weapons", right?

If your state has no AWB, then fine, but beware that the MT6400c has a fixed stock to allow it to be sold in certain states (like New Jersey) where it would otherwise be classified as an "Assault Weapon" and be banned...if your state has an AWB, converting to an adjustable stock might magically turn your MT6400c into an "assault weapon".

If you live in a state with no AWB, disregard the above...just wanted to give a heads-up.

Right. No AWB here.

Jim from Houston
04-01-09, 14:46
Right. No AWB here.

Cool...congratulations on your new AR

andy t
04-01-09, 22:42
Thanks for the help.

Would a kit like this work?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/stock%20hardware%20kit.htm

Right. No AWB here.

Yep. The above will do. You will just have to provide your stock body.

RussellAthletic
04-02-09, 06:33
Yep. The above will do. You will just have to provide your stock body.

Thanks for the help.

Five O'Glock
04-02-09, 09:13
Congrats on the 6400. I just did the same thing you are talking about with a 6400 I purchased a couple of months ago.

The kit at Bravo you asked about will work fine. I do need to warn you about something though. Make sure you have a good castle nut wrench because you will need it. You will also probably need to heat the castle nut and knock out the staking on it.

I did all of the above and still couldn't get the thing off. It was like it was welded on there!!! I ended up having to cut the castle nut off with a dremel. It was a pain but it worked out fine. I put a SOPMOD stock on it and had ADCO install a DD 10 in. Lite Rail that I bought from Grant after cutting down the barrel and permanently attaching a Vortex. They also cut down the FSB to fit under the rail.

In the end, I was able to turn it into a pretty cool AR.

RussellAthletic
04-02-09, 09:33
Congrats on the 6400. I just did the same thing you are talking about with a 6400 I purchased a couple of months ago.

The kit at Bravo you asked about will work fine. I do need to warn you about something though. Make sure you have a good castle nut wrench because you will need it. You will also probably need to heat the castle nut and knock out the staking on it.

I did all of the above and still couldn't get the thing off. It was like it was welded on there!!! I ended up having to cut the castle nut off with a dremel. It was a pain but it worked out fine. I put a SOPMOD stock on it and had ADCO install a DD 10 in. Lite Rail that I bought from Grant after cutting down the barrel and permanently attaching a Vortex. They also cut down the FSB to fit under the rail.

In the end, I was able to turn it into a pretty cool AR.

I'm very pleased with the rifle so far. I wish it had come with an adjustable stock, but I realize that they were eliminating bannable features when designing it.

Thanks for the tips with the castle nut.