PDA

View Full Version : Guns & Ammo: Tactical Guns & Gear!!

FJB
12-29-06, 13:21
Raining Brass,
Hey brother, glad to see that I am not the only one that sees black chicken and others making a bundle off 9/11 while contributing to the trade deficit. They out market the quality manufacturers you mention with money they save by stealing their designs and producing an inferior product with slave labor. Unfortunately, slick advertising is mistaken for quality product.

SOF magazine will have some articles in future issues (3-6 months) that give credit to the quality tactical gear guys.

S/F

Submariner
12-29-06, 14:22
About 5 years ago, tire iron and USMC03 got me started on SOE gear. Prior to that I had purchased a complete set of BH 782 gear for $110 (belt, Y-harness, two canteen covers, 4 triple 30-round mag pouches and IFAK cover). I listed it for sale and was offered a new digital Fluke multimeter that listed for $300. Only BC I ever owned (and never wore). The meter is better than what my reactor control technicians had in the early 80's. It still works.:D

Dave L.
12-29-06, 16:24
Raining Brass,
Hey brother, glad to see that I am not the only one that sees black chicken and others making a bundle off 9/11 while contributing to the trade deficit. They out market the quality manufacturers you mention with money they save by stealing their designs and producing an inferior product with slave labor. Unfortunately, slick advertising is mistaken for quality product.

SOF magazine will have some articles in future issues (3-6 months) that give credit to the quality tactical gear guys.

S/F

What about an article that would eju-ma-cate some of the younger/newer guys on BH practices...they are the Philip Moris of gear companies! Someone needs to write that article asap.
...I'll do my best to spread the word(between building my Nuke shelter:D )

K.L. Davis
12-29-06, 17:52
Raining Brass,

S/F

I can tell you this... due to my job I was able to see some very interesting sides of many companies in the 72 hours that followed the WTC Attack, some company's actions were sickening.

But let me share one very positive thing... this is a great chance to say this. Within hours of the second plane hitting, I got a phone call from Galls, it went basically like this:

Galls: We've put a stop on everything, you guys are the first priority. All of our staff is in, trucks are backed up and ready to head to you, what do you need on them?

Me: Blah, Blah, Blah

Galls: Roger, we'll just load up all of what we have and get it on the road tonight.

Me: Great! I understand we have emergency funding, but I have no idea who the contract official is or how to bill the stuff out.

Galls: Right, like I said we need to get humping to get the stuff out to you guys tonight... if you need anything else just let us know. God Bless you!

Trucks were there the next day...

There were lots of other great things that happened in that three days, but this one really stood out.

Zak Smith
12-29-06, 18:32
We can hope that pressure from online sources will encourage print media to increase article quality....

RAM Engineer
12-29-06, 23:40
I'm no Shakespear myself, so I'll just list the good stuff I got out of the magazine:

I bought the magazine (at Kroger's) soley for Larry Vickers' article. I think it has inspired me to complete three LMT uppers that have been languishing in my safe into "Vickers style" uppers. Nothing extraneous.

An added bonus was Zak's article on slings. Very informative. I'm sure his article on reading the wind was good too, but my father will have to confirm that. He's the F-class shooter, I just crank the elevation knob until he tells me to stop.

The article on eye-protection by Duane Thomas was fairly good. It was nice to see the side-by-side shots of all the different lenses. Could have used more details on the RX inserts. (ie, what is the max. level of sphere & cyl corrections that will fit in each insert, which inserts are approved for US forces, can you get the RX lenses through the glasses mfg or do you have to go to your local lab, etc.)

Jason

Dave L.
12-30-06, 04:08
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/SapperGuy.jpg

MASP7
12-30-06, 06:09
Was it just me, or did this guy have a lot of gratuitous pic of himself in his article?
Note the prominently displayed Rolex...
Sapper! (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?sapper01.wav=sapper)

Dave L.
12-30-06, 06:21
Was it just me, or did this guy have a lot of gratuitous pic of himself in his article?
Note the prominently displayed Rolex...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/SapperGuy001.jpg

This must be what you mean by "gratuitous pics of himself"...but i could be mistaken-

Long Range Trigger Monkey
12-30-06, 12:27
I have the same issue and the article written by the above author made me chuckle. Sure he's a LAPD detective and Civil Affairs dude but that guy is way too clean in the photos to be doing anything worth while. That purdy black BH drop leg pouch doesn't look like it has one speck of dust on it and his "well used Surefire tac light" looks like it just came out of the box. I especially liked the one guy with the M16A2 and Burris optic with a CIB sticker on his buttstock...what an a**hat, my section made fun of guys like him. I earned my CIB too and so did the rest of my section but we sure as hell didn't parade around with it on our buttstocks in country. There are a bunch of other misquotes and funnies in the article so I would advise anyone reading it to take it with a grain of salt.

LOKNLOD
12-30-06, 12:41
That purdy black BH drop leg pouch doesn't look like it has one speck of dust on it

Maybe it's clean because he has never been able to reach it to reload with it on his strong side...

(maybe he has a technique that works well for him, but it reminds me of those guys w/ dump pouches hanging right behind their holsters...)

MASP7
12-30-06, 14:31
Maybe it's clean because he has never been able to reach it to reload with it on his strong side...

Being a lefty he's probably developed a "revolver speedload" type technique where he switches the weapon to his right hand and loads with his left.
Wait- there's another article here for next months BlackChicken FauxTac Illustrated: Mastering the "Sapper Speed Load"

Someone post the pic of Mr. Sapper wearing that saggy armor carrier with only "sapper" plates.

Dozer
12-30-06, 14:43
We had the worst time trying to get gear from them. Two of our SNCOs ordered the same rig for their pistol and received two very different models. After writing back and complaining about it they promised to make it right but that day never came (and we still had more than 3 months left in-country). I would never buy anything from them for many reasons but mainly because they showed that when we depended on them they we not willing to work with us. There is a magnitude of other gear companies that you can go with with much better products.

S/F
Libardo

Dave L.
12-31-06, 18:20
Being a lefty he's probably developed a "revolver speedload" type technique where he switches the weapon to his right hand and loads with his left.
Wait- there's another article here for next months BlackChicken FauxTac Illustrated: Mastering the "Sapper Speed Load"

Someone post the pic of Mr. Sapper wearing that saggy armor carrier with only "sapper" plates.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/SapperGuy002.jpg

Is this what you are refreing too;)

KevinB
01-05-07, 06:00
Well I received the magazine (Thanks Templar :D - big thumbs up for that and I will not attack the Ak for a week for that ;) )

I was looking forward to getting it due to the discussion level here.
I can't say I was disappointed -- since anything new to read is great.

However the general quality of the articles and the knowledge levels of the authors was disappointing.

The Kit article was disgusting -- I'm really tempted to start writing for magaiznes. Written by a pogue and it came off as something I would have started at by "this one time at band camp". The pic of Ben and Travis with the two Aussie SASR's and Navy guy had nada to do with the entire article -- other than try to go for cool by association. Unfilled pouches and asshat loadout methods -- not to mention the stupity of some of the other stuff -- I've ranted on someother forums about loadcarrying and gear choice, all with the caveat that its based on my experiences and certain absolutes (you still need to be able to fight from the prone - cuz sometimes its a good idea to hide)
Not trying to diminish the authors service -- but there is something called staying in your lane -- and he took an on ramp to a road that he was not qualified to drive.

LAV-- he ended the article, and I was like WTF, where is the rest.

FN FAL article -- lol please, its dead lets soldier on.

"Tactical" Lighting article -- woefully underdone.

I disagree with Zak Smith on the 1 and 3 pt slings (I despise 3pt's and think anyone running one is a fool) -- but at least the article was well done and many of Jeff's toys too...

Nathan_Bell
01-05-07, 06:52
Well I received the magazine (Thanks Templar :D - big thumbs up for that and I will not attack the Ak for a week for that ;) )

I was looking forward to getting it due to the discussion level here.
I can't say I was disappointed -- since anything new to read is great.

However the general quality of the articles and the knowledge levels of the authors was disappointing.

The Kit article was disgusting -- I'm really tempted to start writing for magaiznes. Written by a pogue and it came off as something I would have started at by "this one time at band camp". The pic of Ben and Travis with the two Aussie SASR's and Navy guy had nada to do with the entire article -- other than try to go for cool by association. Unfilled pouches and asshat loadout methods -- not to mention the stupity of some of the other stuff -- I've ranted on someother forums about loadcarrying and gear choice, all with the caveat that its based on my experiences and certain absolutes (you still need to be able to fight from the prone - cuz sometimes its a good idea to hide)
Not trying to diminish the authors service -- but there is something called staying in your lane -- and he took an on ramp to a road that he was not qualified to drive.

FN FAL article -- lol please, its dead lets soldier on.

"Tactical" Lighting article -- woefully underdone.

I disagree with Zak Smith on the 1 and 3 pt slings (I despise 3pt's and think anyone running one is a fool) -- but at least the article was well done and many of Jeff's toys too...

Start taking gratuitous pics of yourself showing off gear, and you will be halfway there :p

jmart
01-05-07, 07:48

That could be attributable to LAV or the G&A editor. Not every word that gets submitted makes it into print.

Steve
01-05-07, 08:04
The articles on bug out gear and lighting were weak at beast PAt is a great shooter and good gunsmith but........

the Lav article was ok abrupt.left me going ahhhh ok more.

the Zak's article on wind was on spot, the sling article well........ sorry i still find use for single points in some area's (no big deal its all choice) I run singles and vickers and BFG on my rav's

the sapper plates thing enough said...... biggest waste of money to date next to a fobus holster i all ready emailed them and told them how unhappy i was

Army Chief
01-05-07, 11:16
I have the same issue and the article written by the above author made me chuckle. Sure he's a LAPD detective and Civil Affairs dude but that guy is way too clean in the photos to be doing anything worth while.

I'm no fan of the "kick 'em while they're down" approach, but I have to agree.

Over and over I kept thinking "whoa ... I wish this guy had realized how far overreaching his article was going to come across." I was actually embarrassed for him -- and GA's editors -- by the time I reached the end of the article. Perhaps the text would have stood a better chance of being taken seriously had it not been for the "here the author wears his combat-tested Fruit-Of-The-Loom underwear" photo expose. That certainly didn't do much to help.

Our Civil Affairs (CA) troopers do a fine job, but sometimes I think folks get a bit confused about their status under the special operations umbrella, and start thinking of CA assets as some kind of para-commando force. That's just not so, and more than a decade of soldiering at Bragg has presuaded me that CA troopers compare more favorably with service and support troops than with combat arms "meat eaters." They often have an interesting and diverse mission, but let's reserve our collective awe for the real killers out there. Unfortunately, MSG Kolesar just didn't come across very convincingly as one of them.

Chief

S-1
01-05-07, 12:55
but there is something called staying in your lane -- and he took an on ramp to a road that he was not qualified to drive.

I like it! :D

SHIVAN
01-05-07, 16:22
The single point sling that was shown in Zak's article, where he demonstrated the muzzle in the ground, looks like it was ill adjusted.

When I kneel like that, my muzzle is above the ground by a bit.

Then again I run 10.5 and 11.5" carbines -- so maybe that's why -- but I don't think it is.. :p

Further, isn't that what those neat little gun retention cuffs are for on the back of your gear?

USMC03
01-05-07, 18:39
The single point sling that was shown in Zak's article, where he demonstrated the muzzle in the ground, looks like it was ill adjusted.

When I kneel like that, my muzzle is above the ground by a bit.

Then again I run 10.5 and 11.5" carbines -- so maybe that's why -- but I don't think it is.. :p

Further, isn't that what those neat little gun retention cuffs are for on the back of your gear?

That was me in the photo and the sling was adjusted properly. I have had the same thing happen several times at work when picking up flash bangs, evidence, etc. off the deck and one of my hands has something in it and I'm trying to pick something up with the other hand.

When using a 2 point sling it is easy to move the rifle around to your back (even with a lot of gear on).

MASP7
01-05-07, 19:31
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/SapperGuy002.jpg

Is this what you are referring too;)

Yeah, I think that's it.
I'll look again. My friend is going to bring the mag tomorrow, as I'm not going to buy it. I like the idea of the magazine, but I hope they publish a whole mag worth buying. I can't see buying it for one or two articles, even for the comic relief.

While we have given "Mr. Sapper" a well-deserved load of feces about this article, it in no way detracts from his service to our country.
But the bottom line is that if you put yourself up as a subject matter expert by writing an article and having it published in a national magazine, you should have your crap together.

Zak: I'm reading your sling article tomorrow.
If you wrote anything nice about three-point slings, it's go time.;)

Dave L.
01-05-07, 22:01
If anyone reading this doesn't want to buy a copy- good, don't- but I would be happy to scan and email you any of the articles in the mag...even the really upsetting ones.
If you don't know, there are articles on: lights/mounting, LAV's AR advice, Windometers, "bug-out bags", gun cases, tactical knives, back packs, GPS, laser range finders/scopes, 2-way radios/solar power, suspension systems and body, eye-pro, desert ghillies, surefire sound supressor, binos, slings, hydration systems, boots, the "fighting FAL"...not in that order.
But like I said, if you want to know what all the fuss is about and want to know why G&A will let almost anyone write anything these days( no offense Zak or Larry) then PM me up I'll email an article or two.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. each page will be a seperate file about 500kb or so if it matte's to any-o-you hacke's

KevinB
01-06-07, 03:54
Jeff, when we go hands on or similar with a 1pt we usually roll it around -- pull on the sling with the left hand high up ont he right side of the sling and push the weapon around on the slign to the rear -- takes a second or two. Not saying I disagree with your findings -- just another option. Some of the US Marines I worked with used those "weapon cuff" things off their belts or vest to trap the weapon when it was in a 1pt, for certain activities.

USMC03
01-06-07, 09:03
Kevin,

I prefer moving the gun around to the rear. Body size, body shape, the way you have your gear set up, etc, all come into play and have an effect on how different sling set ups work for different people.

But there are occasions in my line of work when there is no chance to move the sling to the rear. If I have to go hands on (guy wants to fight, have to take someone to the gound who is not obeying commands, take someone down and cuff them quickly, etc) there is no time to move the gun to the rear. And one more than one occasion I have had the buttstock kiss me on the chin and had the barrel buise the knees. Never had this problem with the 2 point, as the sling controls the carbine more when in the slung position.

I am right handed, thus when I move the gun around to the rear, I move it around to my left side. The problem that I always had with the single point sling is the weapon would never stay on my back left side, it would always shift and end up under my left arm pit.

Even when the gun stayed on my back, because a single point sling only attaches to one point on the gun. The gun would often rotate and move (ie. if I was bent over picking something up, with the gun on my back, sometimes the gun would rotate and the muzzle would be pointing to my left).

I used single point slings since 2002 and perfered it until I tried the Blue Force Gear Vickers (2 point) sling. I have now switched all my guns over to the Vickers and LaRue VTAC sling.

Zak Smith
01-06-07, 14:44
There are a lot of details - as shown in the last 5 posts to this thread - that are just impossible to hit in a 2000-word article. There is always some amount of detail lost, and having to cover a field of options at least a little bit - so people know the general trade-offs - just makes it worse.

For example, I just finished a TRG vs. AWSM article on the 338's. If left to my own devices, it would have ended up about 5000 words, because my shooting partner and I have a lot of experience on the two rifles. But since the assignment is 2000 words, there is a lot of stuff that just can't be included.

That said, I try to always write from my direct experience, and if I need something more that what I know, I'll consult a "SME" such as USMC03 on slings and CQB.

But this isn't a defense of bad articles either...

SHIVAN
01-06-07, 22:09
That was me in the photo and the sling was adjusted properly. I have had the same thing happen several times at work when picking up flash bangs, evidence, etc. off the deck and one of my hands has something in it and I'm trying to pick something up with the other hand.

When using a 2 point sling it is easy to move the rifle around to your back (even with a lot of gear on).

Fair enough. It doesn't happen to me. As I noted, it could be that I only run less than 12" guns. <<shrugs>>

You also have more experience going "hands-on" with people wanting to fight, while trying to stow a carbine....:p

However, my observation in comparing my kneeling and your kneeling are that my muzzle does not do that. Ever. If it did, I would have replaced my slings.

I like the 2pt due to some "fighting" issues I saw, where the weapon can be used to control you in grappling. I suppose the quick release on my unit might mitigate the risk, but not as quickly as the duck and slide out of a 2pt.

Striker5
01-06-07, 22:17
This issue is my designated "potty reading" material. I told myself that I would read the Vicker's article last, but ended up reading it first. That sucked most of the blood out of the magazine.

Sapper:
Not to beat a dead horse, but he makes a comment how we don't need kevlar - plates are sufficient. He then goes on to say that the PB Interceptor is GTG. I guess he doesn't know it has Kevlar inserts. Maybe he was talking about some sort of supplemental vest? I felt sorry for him, especially in the digiflage photo.

Civil Affairs: One of my jobs in 2005 was escorting them periodically to the local haji town. The major that ran that outfit was a good guy and was about to tear his hair out from dealing with the shifty, good-for-nothing sheiks. Then we got a new, extremely aggressive CO, which made his job worse! He told me about his dealings w/ the local big shots and evidently they are shadier than their constituents.

Blackhawk gear: I have an extremely battered drop holster that I bought in 2002 and is still trucking. I bought a subload for my leg in 2005 and wore it until circumstances dictated the need of that cargo pocket and it went in my pack. I am not defending them as a company, but the two products I got (albeit easy not to screw up) have been serviceable and tough. I can't speak for the rest of their stuff. My criticism of them is that there advertising is really gay.

KevinB
01-07-07, 03:00
Jeff -- Yeah I get to shoot those sorts, I can see how that could impact ones choices a "bit"

M4Guru
01-07-07, 08:10
Sapper:
Not to beat a dead horse, but he makes a comment how we don't need kevlar - plates are sufficient. He then goes on to say that the PB Interceptor is GTG. I guess he doesn't know it has Kevlar inserts. Maybe he was talking about some sort of supplemental vest? I felt sorry for him, especially in the digiflage photo.

I wonder if he knows his issued plates aren't stand alone rated, and how many guys have died from fragmentation to the side since they sit facing forward in a truck when an IED goes off. Not too many people die from small arms fire these days if you pay attention. Nothing I have seen that guy say has passed the common sense test.

Striker5
01-07-07, 09:48
Here's a question: On pg 100 (military hydration systems) there is a photo of a 101st guy pointing what appears to be a tricked out civvie carbine, down to the white letters on the lower receiver. What's up w/ that? I thought the photo might be staged but all the details say otherwise. If the guy managed to get his pet carbine to OIF good for him - I am jealous. Personal weapons were a big no-no in USMC deployments, the exceptions being the generals (Mattis' Kimber) and a regimental gunner w/ a tricked out 1911. Of course, if gunners wanted to run around skewering people with sabres, no one would stop them.:D maybe someone can shed some light on this.

KevinB
01-07-07, 09:53
Its an HK416 - and the guy aint 101...

1911_CQB
01-07-07, 12:57
If I remember correctly I also saw that pic on HKpro under the 416 page. I belive it had a S&B on top also.

MASP7
01-07-07, 13:27
http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm

1911_CQB
01-07-07, 14:00
Yep that was it. I thought I was right. I used to post on the forums there, like 6 years ago. Back when my dream was a full size USP in .357 SIG. Ah the old days. :)

Robb Jensen
01-07-07, 18:01
http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm

Cool link. The guy looking to his left and out of focus (no hat on) with a HK416 on his chest in the 2nd pic from the bottom is my friend 'Turtle' aka Todd. He's a full time SERT officer with US Captiol Police. He's also a GrandMaster Production shooter in USPSA.

Striker5
01-07-07, 18:54
Roge,

The grunt in question does not have a Screamin Eagle patch but the guy w/ him does, hence my confusion. Cool. Any word on how the 416 is holding up, not trying to hijack.

M4Guru
01-07-07, 19:17
Blending in is your friend.

The 416s are holding up extremely well by all accounts. HK hit a home run with the 416. If only the Nazi bastards would sell them to all of us.
:rolleyes:

MASP7
01-07-07, 19:36
If only the Nazi bastards would sell them to all of us.

I do feel sorry for you guys...

Zak Smith
01-08-07, 15:24
What is on the carbine shooter's left shoulder on page 16? :eek:

M4Guru
01-08-07, 19:02
I dunno. Can you scan it or describe it...

1911_CQB
01-08-07, 22:30
If only the Nazi bastards would sell them to all of us.

True. If only.

Dorsai
01-18-07, 00:00
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/SapperGuy.jpg

I haven't finished building my Polish underfolder yet, but I'm pretty sure that the buttstock won't clear a 40 rd mag. Which means he'll have to use that thing hadji style or change mags before he can get the buttstock out and usable.

Dave L.
01-18-07, 03:06
Well, once that AK is empty he has plenty of mags for that...wait...where is his M16...but seriously it cant take that long to remove the mag, flip the stock, put the mag back in, rack a round, and re-acquire the tango shooting at you from 100+ meters.:p

MASP7
01-18-07, 10:13
What is on the carbine shooter's left shoulder on page 16? :eek:

Looks like some kind of blue bird.

I just, finally, read Mr. Sapper's (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?sapper01.wav=sapper) article.
It's worse than I thought. For some reason he doesn't know that the BH STRIKE Cutaway vest takes soft armor in addition to the "sapper" plates.
He thinks it's a plate carrier.

Also, FYI- The Interceptor has 3 ceramic plates(?)

I could go on, but I have to go look for my missing IBA plate...

Dave L.
01-19-07, 04:57
He wrote in the beginning of the article that "he had wished to have more samples of gear, but he received no interest from one very large company and the rest wanted him to pay for the gear".

If I was a manufacturer of high-end high-demand gear and some guy called me who was claiming to be writing an article for G&A I would ask him his background because not too many of our country's REAL operators come back to the FOB after putting their life on the line all day and feel like writing articles about nylon. Then after a short deliberation period, I(as the manufacturer) would want him to pay for my gear for this reason: He as a master sergeant doesn't really need my gear as much as the PFC's, LCpl's, Cpl's who are already paying for it out-of-pocket. I would know my gear is gaining plenty of street credit with out having an article about it in G&A.

...Not like I am taking away his great service and sacrifice for this country like everyone else over there but I know as well as anyone that gear is in short supply and if you don't have it when you fly there then you wont have it for months...and I would be pissed If I found out my teams order wasn't shipped because they had to give a vest for some guy to test(i.e. play high-speed dress up). He shouldn't have made it sound like any company who didn't give him gear to test is ran by Assholes.

I give props to all the companies who didn't give him so much as a fast-ex buckle.

This is the point where I throw the BullSH$T Flag: On any FOB in Iraq, at any given time, one can find gear made by at least 10 different companies- all you have to do is look around, ask a few questions about who made the gear, how it's holding up, would they recommend it to anyone else. Then, take a few pics of "different warriors" wearing the gear. If you are writing an article about what gear guys are wearing in the GWOT than do just that; you don't need to be given FREE SHINY gear to put the manufacturers name in an article...give credit where credit is due. When a writer clearly states at the begining of an article that he is only going to write about companies who gave him free gear, that makes him bias, and being bias about this topic may get some young soldier or Marine killed. Shame on him for not thinking, and Shame on Guns & Ammo for putting this F$#%ed-up article in the magazine.

I hope LAV got my entire $8, if not I'll send it to him...and $8 more to write another one (maybe a few for Zak too)

Signed
Dave
Laninga
616-308-6137

Zak Smith
01-19-07, 10:46
There is usually no problem getting samples for review... :confused:

decodeddiesel
12-22-07, 12:51
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/SapperGuy001.jpg

This must be what you mean by "gratuitous pics of himself"...but i could be mistaken-

What a friggin tool. This is the kind of jack ass everyone in my platoon would die laughing at. More than likely the type who would piss his pants the first bullet that actually passed near him.

DANGER CLOSE
12-22-07, 17:06
is it me, or does that look like todd whats his name, the blackhawk mascot type guy, compeition shooter. kind of looks a bit hokey for me. while i do own some blackhawk stuff, i spread around my gear with other companies. if i am looking for a certain specific pouch i just check out all the companies possible until i find the one i want. it could be a different buckle, zipper, strap, or something that gives it that extra oomph that works for me.

for my gear reviews in magazines i try to stick to the more tactical type mags like: swat, gwle, tactical weapons, and some industry (mil/le) mags.

KevinB
12-22-07, 17:16
FYI -- I dont have trouble getting gear to eval ;)

and Larry Vickers just gets gear given to him...

ask me how much this cost

How much did it cost

dunno :D

doorkicker
12-23-07, 12:13
They have like way cool action photos and bitchin posers... err, I mean posters of some model in half tactical nylon and half Victoria's secret -- you mean she really isn't a first line operator????
Ehhhh, I kinda dig LaRue Tactical and their crafty advertising :D
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/LaRue_Amy_Posterresize.jpg

boltcatch
12-29-07, 22:37
... (I despise 3pt's and think anyone running one is a fool) ...

You know, I really hated the issue slings when I was a dumb private. I'd remove mine any chance I got.

Later, as a rifle-toting civvie, I still didn't like slings but thought I might want one to hold my AR and help me look cool while transitioning to my pistol at the range. :rolleyes: I got a CQB Solutions basic 3-point.

Even after a couple of uses at the range, I came up with the same conclusion you did.

For years now I've been using it as a 2-point sling; I keep it around just because it's convenient and I really like the webbing they used.

As for the "sapper plate" article, hell I spent my limited amount of time on active duty driving the sick-call shuttle for broke privates, and I could probably have come up with something less embarrassing back then, let alone now.