PDA

View Full Version : Advice/opinion for AR upper receiver

UGA02
04-01-09, 19:15
I currently have a DPMS upper on a RRA two stage trigger lower. The upper does not have the deflector or forward assist. I am considering a new upper receiver with deflector and FA because I do not like how the brass ejects and basically ricochets off the receiver, leaving small marks (only shot about 120 rounds.) Although they are not scarring the receiver, I believe they eventually could. What is a quality receiver to get? Do I need to get one with M4 feedramps? Is it best to get RRA for compatibility? Will a better name brand upper receiver improve the overall quality of the gun? Accuracy? Some of the uppers I have looked at are:

RRA
BCM
Yankee Hill
Essential Arms
LaRue (pricey)
Vltor (pricey)
Bushmaster
I am a newbie, so I would appreciate any comments!

RD62
04-01-09, 19:39
I wouldn't worry too much about the brass marks. If you get an upper with a brass deflector, you'll just have brass marks on the deflector. I'm also wondering if you are talking about a complete upper with barrel, etc. or just the receiver. Either way they should all work with your RRA lower. I would lean toward the BCM, unless you are looking for a billet upper, and I'd go with the VLTOR, although both the BCM and VLTOR have been a little scarce. There is a reason they are in such demand.

-RD62

UGA02
04-01-09, 19:48
I wouldn't worry too much about the brass marks. If you get an upper with a brass deflector, you'll just have brass marks on the deflector. I'm also wondering if you are talking about a complete upper with barrel, etc. or just the receiver. Either way they should all work with your RRA lower. I would lean toward the BCM, unless you are looking for a billet upper, and I'd go with the VLTOR, although both the BCM and VLTOR have been a little scarce. There is a reason they are in such demand.

-RD62

Just the upper receiver. This seems like a good one?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-assembly-M4-Flat-Top-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%202.htm

RD62
04-02-09, 20:03
Yep. Looks good to me.

-RD62

veeref
04-02-09, 23:13
Just the upper receiver. This seems like a good one?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-assembly-M4-Flat-Top-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%202.htm

I have an RRA lower and just received that same upper from BCM. Its got the 'keyhole' markings on it and if it matters to you, the finish the same matte finish as the RRA lower.