PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT 92

jc75754
04-01-09, 19:57
I have shot several Berettas and now that i want one they seem to be out of reach. These Taurus pt 92 seems to be a pretty accurate copy but i lack any experience with Taurus. I have seen that there were qc issues with the early models but that seems to be worked out. if ya got em let me know what you like and don't like.

williejc
04-01-09, 20:52
For the last 20 years I've owned several of each and had occasional problems with the Taurus clones like parts breakage. One wouldn't work right out of the box. The B-92's that I did and still do own have had a perfect record. On the current Taurus model, moving the safety lever from safe to fire can can decock the piece if done with too much vigor.

Save your money and get the Beretta.

ToddG
04-02-09, 00:03
The similarities end at the appearance. The Beretta is made of better materials and built with much higher quality control.

Jack_Stroker
04-02-09, 00:15
The similarities end at the appearance. The Beretta is made of better materials and built with much higher quality control.

I believe there are some parts that are functionally the same, (such as the locking block) but I completely agree with you about the quality control and quality of some of the parts.

ST911
04-02-09, 10:30
I have seen that there were qc issues with the early models but that seems to be worked out.

No, they are what they are, and always have been. There not as popular as they used to be, so you're just not hearing as much.

The Taurus is an...economized...cousin of the Beretta.

Why is the Beretta out of reach? A variety of places have PD trade 92s, some in excellent condition, for fair to outstanding prices.

USMC1341
04-12-09, 12:01
I had a Taurus PT99AFS 9mm for many years. At the time it was about $250 cheaper than a Beretta and it was loaded with more features like low profile adj sights and high cap mags The Beretta didn't have. The gun never malfunctioned and was a constantly reliable shooter. I haven't anything bad to say about it.

CHoffman
04-12-09, 19:51
I have an early 90's Taurus PT92 (non-decocker) with just under 6000 rounds through it. It is extremely accurate within reasonable distances (past 75yds gets difficult) and I have never had any malfunctions at all, mags and ammo included. I have installed a heavier recoil spring, lower weight mainspring and had an action job done. I will be replacing the locking block with a new Beretta one before I take it out again as it is showing peening on the front edges after my last range session of about 250 124gr +P rounds. I did own a Beretta 92FS with an action job (D-spring, polished internals, Langdon speed bump trigger, etc.) and it definitely had better fit and finish but I much prefer the safety location on the Taurus. If Beretta made a 92 at a reasonable price with the frame mounted safety I would pick it up in a heart beat. But they do not so I will stick with my Taurus until the frame cracks or slide breaks. If and when it does break it will be replaced with a different caliber (probably .45ACP) and platform (Glock 30SF or maybe a mil-spec 1911 if I can find a decent one).

tpd223
04-13-09, 00:39
I also had an older 92, the pre decocker model. Never had a problem with it.