PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Lined BBL Vise Jaw Owners...

Razorhunter
04-01-09, 20:36
Anyone here own the "SCG AR-15/M16 Accu-Grip Bbl Vise Jaws" that Brownells, and a few other companies sell?
I have almost every armorers tool made, except these vise jaws, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the urethane lining in these is like?
Is it a HARD polymer/urethane lining, such as like Delrin would be? (Delrin is the usually white HARD polymer that the DPMS Panther Claw upper receiver block is made from).
-OR- is the urethane lining in the vise jaws a slightly softer polymer, with a more "rubbery" feel to it?
I'm currently trying to determine if I can make some of my own vise jaws, that will NOT mar up a bbl in any way. I've considered wood, and other materials, but I'd first like to know what this urethane lining is like, if someone could tell me?
I don't even know if the standard NON-lined aluminum vise jaws would possibly work, WITHOUT marring up a bbl in ANY way? Anyone tried the aluminum NON lined vise jaws on a black AR bbl or other bbl with similar black finish before?
Did the bbl get marred up, or what? How about with the urethane lined jaws? Does the bbl truly come out FREE of mars when you are done? I'm sure the bbl must be TIGHT enough not to rotate at all, or marring probably could occur.
If anyone here has made a homebrew set of vise jaws, using wood, or any other material, let me know how they work, and any other details.
BTW,
Does anyone know what the "SCG" stands for below? I copied the title below directly from the Brownells page, but I cannot determine the company name/manufacturer of these Accu-Grip vise jaws? Anyone know who the actual manufacturer is, or what "SCG" stands for???

Taken from Brownells product title: "SCG AR-15/M16 ACCU-GRIP BARREL VISE JAWS"

caporider
04-01-09, 20:56
I have the polyurethane lined barrel vise jaws from Brownells. The polyurethane is fairly soft - much softer than Delrin. When the vise jaws are tight enough around a barrel to prevent rotation, the urethane bulges out of the sides.

I have clamped dozens of barrels using these vise jaws and have never marred any of them. You do need to crank the ever-lovin' crap out of your vise to secure the barrel, though, and any barrel less than 0.730 or so will flop around in them no matter how much you crank on your vise.

Left Sig
04-01-09, 22:06
I use the DPMS aluminum barrel jaws. I usually wrap the barrel in a thin piece of rubber so it doesn't mar or slip. Those rubber grippy things for opening jars work great.

I looked at those urethane lined ones from Brownell's and intended on getting them, but they were sold out at the time. For as much as I'll use them, the unlined ones with a makeshift liner are fine.

Shihan
04-01-09, 22:45
L:ike noted above its a soft rubber and it grips well. I have both the non lined and the lined its worth the extra money.

Robb Jensen
04-02-09, 05:45
I use the lined ones for changing out flash hiders/compensators, they work well and don't leave aluminum on the barrel. I even have a set that I cut in half for barrels where there is not much room between the FSB/gas block and flash hider (like 11.5"-14.5" bbls).

Shihan
04-02-09, 17:14
I use the lined ones for changing out flash hiders/compensators, they work well and don't leave aluminum on the barrel. I even have a set that I cut in half for barrels where there is not much room between the FSB/gas block and flash hider (like 11.5"-14.5" bbls).

Good idea on cutting one in half. I could of used one last week:o

Coyotehunter_
05-13-14, 11:03
I have this particular barrel vice. I just got mine from Brownells the other day. I have not had time to use it yet. It appears that the polyurethane coating is a BLUE color. I'll have to take your word for it that it's "soft". I don't what else to compare it to being soft or hard.

I plan on putting something like a piece of old rubber tire between the vise's surface and my barrel's surface just in case.

But after reading your post about the polyurethane being so soft that it squeeze out the top of the vice makes me rethink the necessity of using extra tire rubber. You make it sound like the polyurethane material alone should do the job

I've got a Daniel Defense Ambush Firearms AR15 5.56 Cal barrel that I want to add a ACC Blackout Flash Hider onto the pre threaded barrel end. All I have to do is take the upper and barrel off the lower and slap it into this Accu-Grip Barrel Vice Jaws thing and put it into my bench vice. My only problem now is that I don't have a good solid bench to attach my vice to. Right now I just have it attached to a particle board shelf that I have out in my garage. I need to have a nice solid piece of wood (Oak or something ) to put on a bench. If I had more room and the knowledge and tools I'd make my own bench top to work on stuff. As it is the house is full of stuff and the garage is packed. I keep my boat in the garage and have to pull it out to get any work done inside the garage. I guess I should put the boat out in the driveway and put the boat cover back on it. But pretty soon I plan on going fishing and don't want to have to hassle with the boat cover. I don't want to have to take all the gear in and out of the boat all summer lone when I want to go fishing. So I just park the truck outside and keep the boat ready to go and inside the one car garage. Do I wish I had a three car garage or another non attached garage or shed for a work shop. You betcha I do.

Thanks for this thread. I was going to start a thread about this vice on another forum but I did a Bing search first and found this post and thread. This is just what I was looking to talk about. So thanks again for the info.

PS: which slot do you use on the AR15 type barrels. I have the type of barrel that's 18" long and cold forge hammered and has the place on the barrel to add a grenade launcher. Ha ha. Well that's what I think it is. Not for sure. But I read that some where. :) There are two slots in my barrel vice. One is larger in diameter than the other. Heck the other day was the first time I took the 12" modular float thing off my barrel. It was easy to do as I only had to remove four allen head type screws to get the thing off. I thought that the modular float was screwed onto the upper receiver but that's not the case. It's just fitted up again the upper receiver and the barrel nut and held on with four screws all around the modular floats end. I tried to fit the vice onto my barrel but that was before I had the float thing off the barrel to give me more room to see the barrel. I was shocked at the fact that nothing is really holding the barrel onto the upper receiver but that barrel nut. The gun looks really weird without the 12" long moduler float tube covering the barrel. I mean I was freaked out by that sight! :) It was so skinny.

BufordTJustice
05-13-14, 11:38
Bessey urethane vice jaws at Lowes for $7.95.

mpom
05-13-14, 16:23
I liked the design but not the higher price of the lined barrel clamp, so bought the unlined ones from Brownell's and made up urethane inserts, glued them in. Works great. Got my urethane, about 1/8" thick, from an ambu bag. Have urethane or nylon faced jaw inserts, but like the greater surface area contact of dedicated barrel clamp for no slip when dealing with a tight muzzle device, which should be never, but...

223to45
05-13-14, 16:52
Well at least is not the oldest thread to be brought back to life. :cool: