PDA

View Full Version : Simplify...

lindertw
04-01-09, 20:54
The herd has been culled; ammo and training from here on out.

http://tinyurl.com/cfg8c2

http://tinyurl.com/cmnmtl

I held out for many years, but last summer I tried a 2nd gen Glock 19 and got hooked; and after a few minor changes I had something that worked very well for me. Got a spare G19, and today I picked a blue gun. With the exception of a Ruger MKIII 22/45 (daughter's training gun), everything else has sold - no more safe queens for me.

I have a Looper AIWB holster on order, and in the meantime I wearing my blue gun 'mexican AIWB' around the house. So far I like it, not as uncomfortable as I thought it might be. If only I made this decision years ago, gotta love hindsight :D

SeriousStudent
04-01-09, 21:34
I have done the same thing. I sold a Sig 226, Sig 229, Glock 36, Smith 66 and Kimber Desert Warrior. I hated selling the Glock 36, it was completely reliable - a precious commodity for that model.

I have a pair of J-frame Smith's, and a pair of G-19's now.

I still have a couple of pistols as safe queens, but family hierlooms that are 100+ years old should not be sold.

NoBody
04-01-09, 21:41
Deleted.

trio
04-01-09, 22:22
i did this too....

i still kept a 1911 (because I love the platform)....i even tried to devoid myself of 1911s but found it just bugged me too much

2 revolvers....(a J-frame my wife carries and one .357, and the .357 I bought because I work in a gun store and temptation was too strong)

but other than that...2 G17s, a G19, and a G26....and thats really all I shoot.....trying to be a better shooter....

John_Wayne777
04-01-09, 22:28
Once upon a Wednesday night dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a tedious volume about intergovernmental relations to the point I was ready to snore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a nagging,
As of some one gently rapping, entreating my attention on the compu-tor.
`'Tis some thread about simplifying,' I muttered, `begging my attention on the compu-tor - Only this, and nothing more.'

As the thread before me unfolded a sad uncertain anger molded, formed in me...
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Selling everything but the Glocks is madness, and I cannot let it pass, this...this...horrific thing I see on my compu-tor!"
Madness, I say, and nothing more!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0424.jpg

Deep into the finish of my nickel plated model 27 peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, terrified of being stuck with a Glock forevermore.
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `evermore!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the words, `Evermore!'
How could anyone give up these things that I adore?

Back into the thread turning, all my soul within me burning,
Filled with the urge to give this guy what-for.
`Surely,' said I, `surely he's fallen on his head or his wife is taking him to court;
Let me see then, what it is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis madness and nothing more!'

While I believe in standardization, I cannot abide the implication of selling off everything else because truly you *NEED* more!
My good sir, you need revolvers

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0435.jpg

1911's:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0134.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/mini-Les.jpg

Old Colts:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/Colt1903.jpg

And Walthers!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/P99.jpg

Even a S&W 44,

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/62944.jpg

So on this matter your indulgence I must implore! To be surrounded daily only by plastic

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0675.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0635-1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/three.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0665.jpg

could turn a sane man spastic and drive him madder than a hatt-or!

Practical weapons for carry you'll nary hear anyone argue for more,
but it's not all so serious and one would have to be delirious to rid themselves of all the fun guns they've worked so hard for! Once these are gone be sure that they'll make no more! Yes, I tell you truly, they will make no more!

tpd223
04-01-09, 22:29
I'm working on this as well.

My serious carry battery is now all Glock 9mms of various sizes and S&W J frame .38s

Working on my rifle battery. Thinking about going all AR and divesting myself of other guns.

I hit send just after the poetry hit.

Note, I can not disagree, I still have some fun stuff, I'm talking serious guns.

John_Wayne777
04-01-09, 22:37
I hit send just after the poetry hit.

When you phrase it like that I get the image of Oscar Wilde doing a drive-by in a doo-rag.

Jay Cunningham
04-01-09, 22:39
The herd has been culled; ammo and training from here on out.

http://tinyurl.com/cfg8c2

http://tinyurl.com/cmnmtl

I held out for many years, but last summer I tried a 2nd gen Glock 19 and got hooked; and after a few minor changes I had something that worked very well for me. Got a spare G19, and today I picked a blue gun. With the exception of a Ruger MKIII 22/45 (daughter's training gun), everything else has sold - no more safe queens for me.

I have a Looper AIWB holster on order, and in the meantime I wearing my blue gun 'mexican AIWB' around the house. So far I like it, not as uncomfortable as I thought it might be. If only I made this decision years ago, gotta love hindsight :D

I am with you.

Like your avatar, keep shooting that Dot Torture.

trio
04-01-09, 22:47
When you phrase it like that I get the image of Oscar Wilde doing a drive-by in a doo-rag.

if my computer dies from the water I just spewed on it after reading that I am going to go Tennyson on your ass...you've been warned :D

Jack_Stroker
04-02-09, 00:12
Well I can certainly agree that simplification is the way to go as far as self-defense and training goes. Still there is nothing wrong with keeping other guns that just go to the range occasionally.

I've got my 1911 and my Smith & Wesson J-Frame that go with me everywhere, and these are my home defense guns as well. I've also got several AR-15's, but there is only one I regularly shoot and train with. I'm trying to switch to the HK 45 for my defense weapon of choice, but I don't much care for it as a carry gun. I don't like the way the HK-45C feels in my hand so I'll be sticking with the 1911 for some time.

ToddG
04-02-09, 00:24
There is no one-size-fits-all answer here. But any random trip to a public range will quickly make you realize that most people spend too much money on guns but not nearly enough on learning to shoot them well.

Some people have guns for fun, some don't.
Some like to collect, some don't.

I was in the exact same situation as lindertw years ago. I'd bought a variety of different guns and enjoyed shooting them. But buying new guns never really made me a better shooter. So I sold off most of my small "collection" and focused on getting as much training as I could.

I'd much rather shoot with a guy who's put 50,000 rounds through his G19 than a guy who's put 5,000 rounds through each of his 10 different pistols.

DRich
04-02-09, 01:04
Reminds me of the old saying:

"Beware the man with only one gun. He likely knows how to use it."

Gentoo
04-02-09, 03:34
John_Wayne777, that was pretty awesome! Nice work.

I understand where the OP is coming from though. Back in January I decided that I and my wife were going to standardize on one primary handgun - the Glock 19.

Marcus L.
04-02-09, 06:58
Every now and then I've thought about standardizing on the 9mm and one platform. In regards to platform, I've generally done that with classic Sigs since that is what I'll likely be required to carry on duty for the next 15 years. When it comes to caliber, I'm glad that I didn't stick with the 9mm. I can't find quality 9mm load virtually anywhere right now. If I wanted to buy new ammo right now, I'd have to settle for cheap crap that may or may not be reliable. The 9mm is pretty dependent on good quality ammo. Interesting enough, I can easily find Federal HST, Winchester Ranger Talons, and CCI Speer GD in optimal bullet weights in .40S&W since its extremely popular with law enforcement.......but not so popular with the civilian market. I can also easily find quality.357sig............45acp in any ammo brand is pretty scarce though.

There is definately a benefit to not using the most popular caliber in the world during an ammo crysis. At least go with a two caliber system(one popular caliber, and one of medium popularity) to ensure that you can stock up on something at any time.

John_Wayne777
04-02-09, 07:49
:D dude, that was awesome!

PSA: This is your brain. This is your brain beginning to fail after reading yet another interminable tome on intergovernmental relations for a graduate level course on the topic. This is your foot trying desperately to kick your own ass for being stupid enough to sign up for such a course.

rob_s
04-02-09, 08:01
This is something I've really been wanting to do.

A couple of years ago I decided to standardize on the 1911 and AR. Sold off everything that wasn't one of those. Picked up 3 pretty nice 1911s, and all Colt ARs. I'm still happy with the AR choice, and even spent all of 2008 deviating from them and shooting an AK just to prove it to myself.

The handgun thing has been trickier for me. I'm in the same quandary I'm sure a lot of shooters are with regards to the 1911 or the Glock. On the one hand I just shoot the damn 1911 better. I know this is a training issue but with limited amounts of training time it's a reality. On the other hand, one of my 1911s is worth 4 Glocks. and my situation requires that I leave a gun in the car more often than I'd like, which means that if I standardize on the 1911 I'm leaving a lot of money sit in that center console. Lose a $500 Glock? Bah. Lose a $2k 1911? Much bigger deal.

My original plan for this year was to get to some classes and more matches with the Glock to try and overcome the training issue. Family issues have pushed the timeline back a good bit but I'm scheduled to retake Randy Cain's Handgun 101 at the end of May and I'm planning on doing it with the Glock to see if I can work out the issues. From there it will actually be more IPSC than IDPA simply because it means more trigger time.

ToddG
04-02-09, 08:08
The handgun thing has been trickier for me. I'm in the same quandary I'm sure a lot of shooters are with regards to the 1911 or the Glock. On the one hand I just shoot the damn 1911 better. I know this is a training issue but with limited amounts of training time it's a reality. On the other hand, one of my 1911s is worth 4 Glocks. and my situation requires that I leave a gun in the car more often than I'd like, which means that if I standardize on the 1911 I'm leaving a lot of money sit in that center console. Lose a $500 Glock? Bah. Lose a $2k 1911? Much bigger deal.

Yes, your 1911's are more expensive than Glocks. The question is whether that matters to you given your immediate and perceived future financial situation. Worried about having it stolen from your car? Invest in a bolt-on car safe and pay a few shekels to add a firearms rider to your home insurance policy.

If it was a money situation rather than a time situation, I'd tell you to sell the 1911's and buy some Glocks, some ammo, and take more classes. But if you don't have the time to make the transition and you're not really mentally committed to make the transition yet, stick with what works for you if you really are ok with your performance and the guns' performance, reliability, etc.

lindertw
04-02-09, 08:11
...on the other hand, one of my 1911s is worth 4 Glocks. and my situation requires that I leave a gun in the car more often than I'd like, which means that if I standardize on the 1911 I'm leaving a lot of money sit in that center console. Lose a $500 Glock? Bah. Lose a $2k 1911? Much bigger deal.
also a factor in my decision.

Todd's mention of time also factored in for me. My range time is finite, and with the kids growing up and getting involved in various activities, schedules are getting hectic. I want to make sure I'm making the best use of what is available to me.

rob_s
04-02-09, 08:13
There are other issues at play, like ammo costs and some recoil sensitivity to an old injury, but you make good points Todd.

Only problem with the bolt-in safe is that I have one of the top stolen cars so I might lose the gun AND the car.

I do have a gun insurance policy, and it never really occurred to me that it would assuage some of my concerns re:theft from the car. It's covered, but I got the policy after a breakin and only ever really think of it as applying to the home.

Thanks Todd.

Vic303
04-02-09, 08:26
As the thread before me unfolded a sad uncertain anger molded, formed in me...
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Selling everything but the Glocks is madness, and I cannot let it pass, this...this...horrific thing I see on my compu-tor!"
Madness, I say, and nothing more!

Thankyou John Wayne! You have said it better than I could. While I have not regretted the sale of some firearms, generally it was done to get others instead. I can't afford to take expensive training classes and I am NOT an operator by any stretch of the imagination, so I have to class my self as more in the collector group than anything. Threads on simplification just make me cringe...

ToddG
04-02-09, 08:35
There are other issues at play, like ammo costs and some recoil sensitivity to an old injury, but you make good points Todd.

I'm the last person to recommend a 1911. But if you've got something that works for you, you don't have the time to make an effective transition to something else, and you don't need to recoup the money you've got tied up in the 1911s then you're better off sticking with what you've got for now.

MarshallDodge
04-02-09, 10:14
There is a lot to be said about simplicity, like fear the man who owns only one gun.

Unfortunately, I carry two platforms, a Kahr and a 1911. The Kahr was a lot less expensive than the 1911 and therefore gets lots of "car" time, it is also much smaller and lighter for summer carry so there are tradeoffs.

I shoot the 1911 faster than I shoot the Kahr and no amount of practice is going to make them even. The limitations are known and I have to be aware of that if the situation turns bad.

John_Wayne777
04-02-09, 10:23
I'm the last person to recommend a 1911. But if you've got something that works for you, you don't have the time to make an effective transition to something else, and you don't need to recoup the money you've got tied up in the 1911s then you're better off sticking with what you've got for now.

I'd second this by mentioning the notion of "sunk cost".

If you have a safe full of expensive 1911's you've already put X amount of bucks and, at least in Rob's case, X amount of training time in on the platform, you already have a considerable investment there.

While it's true that somebody who is just pondering the purchase of a handgun is looking at a VERY steep cost and learning curve to get into the 1911 game, those who are already at the top of the curve aren't looking at a whole lot to maintain their position.

If they transition to another design, however, they could be looking at another steep curve....weapon, carry gear, ammo, spare parts, a lot more training required, etc.

John_Wayne777
04-02-09, 10:33
Threads on simplification just make me cringe...

Simplification makes sense. For those who regard their firearms as defensive tools for serious social purposes, standardizing on a particular platform is an incredibly shrewd move that makes the most of resources and training time.

Guns fall into two distinct realms for me: Weapons used for serious social purposes, and fun guns.

If I had to give one up, I'd give up the fun guns. I'd hate it like Rosie O'Donnel hates a treadmill, but I'd do it because I can live without it.

As for training classes, my advice would be this:

If you carry a firearm for personal defense, get some. I would *GLADLY* trade all of my fun guns for the knowledge and experience I've gained in formal training.

tango-papa
04-02-09, 10:40
PSA: This is your brain. This is your brain beginning to fail after reading yet another interminable tome on intergovernmental relations for a graduate level course on the topic. This is your foot trying desperately to kick your own ass for being stupid enough to sign up for such a course.

Isn't that when politicians stand around dry-humping each others legs or something? :D

Your poem was great.

~tp

Irish
04-02-09, 11:04
Good thread with some good advice! I am a small time "collector" with everything from a P3-AT for my pocket to a G19 to a full size 1911 and various rifles. I've often considered losing the other rifles and narrowing it down to just AR-15s without much concern and will be doing this in the near future.
For pistols I would have a much harder time ridding myself of the 1911 due to the fact that I love to shoot it and it's much easier for me to shoot than my G19 or G23.
I believe that simplification is a great idea for training and can definitely lead to being a better shooter on 1 platform VS mediocre on 10. So after quite a bit of research I think I might need to try out the M&P or possibly do grip reductions on the Glocks to gain the better grip that I've been lacking. Either way I'll still need to keep my CQB as it's my favorite "fun gun" :D

YVK
04-02-09, 13:08
I did give it a thought, but decided not to. For last two months I was unable to procure ANY 9 mm ammunition, even Wolf. Then I got a case of S&B somehow, but that was it. During the same time, 45 ACP was available from at least two sources, and that allowed me to continue practicing without digging into my last-resort stash.

DocGKR
04-02-09, 20:27
I have been getting rid of almost all my under used weapons. I kept a couple of .38 J-frames for BUG use; 9 mm Glocks, M&P's, .45 ACP 5" 1911's, and a .44 Mag N-frame. Everything else is going away.

Saginaw79
04-02-09, 20:34
Same here, im selling all my 'extra' range toys, and sticking w/ ARs shotgun and Pistols, all in standard calibers.

NoBody
04-02-09, 20:34
Deleted.

SeriousStudent
04-02-09, 21:14
TIP = Tactical Internet Poetry

Thanks for the poem, and good luck in the class. I think I would rather eat a pound of ground glass than get another masters. :(