PDA

View Full Version : Which lowers have a tension screw that take up the slack between upper and lower?

Aud_VDW
04-01-09, 23:49
Title says it all, also anyone have any input on the long-term durability of that system?

Thanks

scottryan
04-02-09, 00:00
All these do is egg out the holes in your lower and made you a wannabe.

Aud_VDW
04-02-09, 00:01
Scott,

Thats what I figured, thanks for the heads up.

scottryan
04-02-09, 00:05
If you feel you need to take up the play you can use an accuwedge.

Mo_Zam_Beek
04-02-09, 00:12
If you feel it is something you must have call Jared as he has some trick shit in the mill now that is going to have a screw in the grip (IIRC) that will tension to the upper.

http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/

Here are some pics

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=97604&Number=1070781#Post1070781

Good luck

Ring
04-02-09, 09:31

^^^

this, but keep in mind, it is VARY hard to pop the pins to take off or open the lower after doing this, this is y i removed my accuwedge

markm
04-02-09, 09:40
The last thing I want in a lower is another moving part that can cause problems. I would actively avoid a lower with this feature unless it was for a competition only rig. And even then, why bother with nonsense?

sinister
04-02-09, 11:09
"If you feel you need to take up the play you can use an Accuwedge."

The idea for the screw through the bottom of the grip boss pressing up on the rear of the upper originally came from Camp Perry National Match competitors trying to minimize or eliminate upper/lower fit wobble. I don't know of anyone who still does it (the military teams don't).

You get a steel screw pressing up on anodized aluminum and you're going to get wear that requires you to periodically check/tighten the screw as it digs a hole into the bottom of the upper.

theant
04-02-09, 11:43
I know the Sun Devil lowers have the tension screw, and they are a very nice lower with an exceptional finish,

3CTactical
04-02-09, 11:48
I have a few sun devil and AZ Armory lowers (made by sun devil) and I've played with the screw a bit - IMHO it doesn't help anything - it just makes it harder to pop the rear pin when separating the upper and lower. I just took the screws out.

SecretAgentMan
04-02-09, 12:04
You get a steel screw pressing up on anodized aluminum and you're going to get wear that requires you to periodically check/tighten the screw as it digs a hole into the bottom of the upper.

The tension screw in a Tactical Innovations lower receiver is nylon-tipped, so this is not an issue. In any case, I still don't take advantage of the screw.

scottryan
04-02-09, 16:50
The accuwedge is the best solution for this as there is no mechanical metal on metal contact.

The accuwedge is rubber and is soft enough that no metal can deform as it absorbs any force.

Wichard20
04-02-09, 16:55
like others have stated i believe this to be a worthless feature

Ziptie
04-02-09, 17:40
I've never understood the need to take the play out of the upper and the lower, I would think that having a tight system would tend to not be as forgiving when bumped or through rough handling, and besides that, the magazines aren't immovably locked into place, but is that a concern, too? Not in my mind. I think a tight system is great for a precision rifle, that benchmark hairsplitter that in the right hands becomes a force multiplier and changes history, but for a general purpose battle rifle? I think it's a solution looking for a problem. My opinion.

Ziptie

C4IGrant
04-02-09, 18:07

The accuwedge is not a good idea as they can come apart and become lodged in your trigger group.

C4

scottryan
04-02-09, 18:45
The accuwedge is not a good idea as they can come apart and become lodged in your trigger group.

C4

I said it was the best solution if you want to remove play.

I do not use them myself.

Fireglock
04-02-09, 19:36
I've ordered a Sun Devil Lower from G&R Tactical but not for the tensioning screw, but I believe their screw is nylon tipped as well. I don't know when it'll get here but I'll find out then.

XDkid
04-02-09, 20:21
Whats wrong with a little "play" between the recievers? Both of my Colts have this. My CMMG upper/tactical innovations lower fit much tighter... yet in terms of accuracy, my 6920 is equally as accurate as my CMMG/tac inno.

a little bit of play is a non issue in my opinion.

COJAM
04-03-09, 06:36
I purchased a GTS lower that is made by Tactical Innovations and it has a nylon screw. I purchased mine because my BCM Middy has to much wobble and play in it for my liking. On every lower I put it on It would move from side to side and I could clearly see a good amount of daylight when the lower and upper were fitted together.It will take the play out for those of us who thinks it's unacceptable.BTW it may take you several adjustments to get it to your liking.I adjusted mine to where it still has a little movement.:cool:

3CTactical
04-03-09, 10:55
All of my Sun Devil and Az Armory lowers have the nylon tipped screw.

Ridge_Runner_5
04-03-09, 15:21
Play between the receivers will have zero affect on accuracy, as all that is on the upper half. What it DOES affect though, is apparent quality, and I know I dont like feeling so much wobble when I have my rifle in hand and I can slap it around just by torquing my VFG...