PDA

View Full Version : KAC Inconel/Unobtainium

Blackjack272
04-02-09, 06:24
I've been hearing quite a bit about the new KAC muzzle break and have been eyeing it with great interest. I do have several questions for anyone in the know, however.

1. Is the intended purpose to act as a sacrificial baffle for a suppressor, or a muzzle break?

2. I know from footage from the Magpul crew that it does kill recoil well without adding much size from a normal A2 flash suppressor. Does it also increase the muzzle blast to a shooter or his teammates?

3. How difficult is the thing to clean carbon deposits out of?

4. I know somebody was going to make a limited run of a steel version. I don't need a suppressor right now, so steel would be fine. However, I would like to know who is making it and for how much. I need to weigh the NEED for such a product versus the actual performace increase, ie, the decrease in muzzle rise and time from shot to shot.

5. What were the original design requirements and operational need for the break?

Thanks!

S/F

bates
04-02-09, 08:04
go to silencertalk.com and look under the kac forum, they are making a limited run, details are being posted, as of now not a lot has really been leaked, but it does look like possibly 100 or so will be make for civilan sales

markm
04-02-09, 08:29
Bahhhh... They can keep their elite, super secret, cool gun guy only, nonsense.

Derek_Connor
04-02-09, 13:34
I've been hearing quite a bit about the new KAC muzzle break and have been eyeing it with great interest. I do have several questions for anyone in the know, however.

1. Is the intended purpose to act as a sacrificial baffle for a suppressor, or a muzzle break?

muzzle break.

2. I know from footage from the Magpul crew that it does kill recoil well without adding much size from a normal A2 flash suppressor. Does it also increase the muzzle blast to a shooter or his teammates?

Out of the many brakes I've heard and shot with, this is one of the LEAST obtrusive.

3. How difficult is the thing to clean carbon deposits out of?

? Never really worried about stuff building up on the flash hider..

4. I know somebody was going to make a limited run of a steel version. I don't need a suppressor right now, so steel would be fine. However, I would like to know who is making it and for how much. I need to weigh the NEED for such a product versus the actual performace increase, ie, the decrease in muzzle rise and time from shot to shot.

If you are concerned about bang for the $$$, wait for the steel version to come out.

5. What were the original design requirements and operational need for the break?

I am sure someone else (Kevin) can answer those questions, it is referred to alot as the "pdw brake" but that is technically incorrect. I believe it started out somewhere else..

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-02-09, 14:38
Maybe someone can give me the Reader Digest version here.

Would a steel version be usable with a suppressor, or only the Inconel version?

I assume if usable with a suppressor, the steel version would not last as long as the Inconel version?

markm
04-02-09, 14:46
Well.. they make silencers that mount over the standard A2 birdcage. And that thing is relatively mild steel.

Inconel would certainly increase the ability to handle sustained fire though.

Derek_Connor
04-02-09, 17:07
Inconel would certainly increase the ability to handle sustained fire though.

with this design, and being inconel, ive been told that running this brake supressed is not adviseable for heavy firing schedules.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-02-09, 21:33
KevinB (did I get the name right) from KAC posted in I think the recent thread about the Vickers/Magpul/M4C AAR report about the limitation. Since he said it, and I don't really get it (not applicable to me), you can read his comment there about high volume fire.

Blackjack272
04-03-09, 01:51
I have no problem laying down dough for the tougher metal - the project gun is a no-expenses withheld kind of thing, the best of all components.

I just was curious if the decrease in felt recoil and the toughness of that particular metal would be worth the cost when shot without a suppressor.

I'm going to dig around on the KAC/suppressor forum and see if I can't get some more details as to cost per unit.

Thanks!

S/F