PDA

View Full Version : browning buckmark camper vs ruger mark III 22/45

razors
04-02-09, 18:33
I wanted to pick up a 22 cal for some cheap training and checked the obove two pistols out. Which model would you choose for high round count durability and accuracy....

Oscar 319
04-02-09, 19:02
Which do you like? Which feels better in your hand? Both are great plinkers.

Opinion; I like the Buckmark.

Littlelebowski
04-02-09, 19:24
I like the Ruger. I own the Browning. I also own an S&W Model 41 and that's why I don't shoot any other rimfire .22 :D

Irish
04-02-09, 19:46
If you want to do a little information gathering and research www.rimfirecentral.com has alot of good info on it concerning .22s. Good luck!

PlatoCATM
04-02-09, 20:03
I had the buckmark camper and exchanged it for a ruger 22/45. While I liked the trigger on the buckmark, I couldn't find a round that would feed reliably and I was too frustrated to keep buying different kinds of ammo. I haven't heard of this problem with any other buckmarks though. Anyway, I bought a 1911 somewhere in there and then decided it would be nice to train with similar ergonomics and safety manipulations. I enjoy the ruger and haven't had any reliability issues with it, but it doesn't have the trigger of the buckmark.

Bob RI
04-02-09, 22:43
Buckmark. I've had 4 rugers of various ages and configurations (including the 22/45), nothing wrong with them, I just prefer the Buckmark.

I think my favorite is my Marvel 1911 conversion - reliable and a tack driver.

CryingWolf
04-03-09, 17:18
I looked at both but ended up with a good deal in the ruger mark III 22/45. On my 1911's I ride with my thumb over the thumb safety. And even though the 22/24 just has that little button I still hold it the same as my 1911.

razors
04-03-09, 18:22
Thanks for the feedback...ive shot both this morning...I would have to say they both felt pretty good. The camper had a plastic rear sight base and front sight...didnt seem very durable but did shoot well with above avarage accuracy. I will probably opt for the Mark III based on grip angle though.

frbowers
04-03-09, 18:54
I think the Buckmark Camper is a better value. Better trigger and accuracy than most of my Mark IIs.

razors
04-03-09, 20:51
I think the Buckmark Camper is a better value. Better trigger and accuracy than most of my Mark IIs.

Do you have a buckmark? I think the frame is well machined on the brownings...I just cant get over the plastic sights and the fact that you would need to remove the rear base every time you field strip (thinkin It may crack).

frbowers
04-03-09, 20:55
Do you have a buckmark? I think the frame is well machined on the brownings...I just cant get over the plastic sights and the fact that you would need to remove the rear base every time you field strip (thinkin It may crack).

I do have a Buckmark Camper. On mine the sights are not plastic, but the top strap that the rear sight is mounted on is. I like that the action is more open which tends to keep the gun cleaner than the MKIIs. Especially since mine is suppressed. :D

I think I have taken the plastic top strap off maybe once, but I don't clean the gun that frequently.

razors
04-03-09, 21:05
I do have a Buckmark Camper. On mine the sights are not plastic, but the top strap that the rear sight is mounted on is. I like that the action is more open which tends to keep the gun cleaner than the MKIIs. Especially since mine is suppressed. :D

I think I have taken the plastic top strap off maybe once, but I don't clean the gun that frequently.

I def noticed the buckmark was a cleaner running gun because of the "open" action. It did seem to be a smoother gun also...how many rounds did you have through yours? Side by side the ruger 22/45 and camper were about the same accuracy wise.

frbowers
04-03-09, 21:35
I def noticed the buckmark was a cleaner running gun because of the "open" action. It did seem to be a smoother gun also...how many rounds did you have through yours? Side by side the ruger 22/45 and camper were about the same accuracy wise.

I'm probably pushing 5000 rounds through my Buckmark Camper. Not a big difference in accuracy when compared to a heavy barrel Mark II or 22/45, but a better trigger.

lunde
04-16-09, 17:33
I own three Buck Marks. This one was originally a Camper, and I had its steel parts hard-chromed, and also changed its barrel and grips, and added the red-dot sight:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-left-full.jpg

This is a 7.25" Splash Lite URX that is still stock:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-splash-left-full.jpg

This one was originally a Stainless Micro URX, and I added a threaded barrel, AAC Aviator suppressor, and a red-dot sight:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/buckmark-tacsol-aac-left-full.jpg

Guess which one I keep out-of-state? ;)

DrMark
04-16-09, 17:54
This one was originally a Camper, and I had its steel parts hard-chromed, and also changed its barrel and grips, and added the red-dot sight

Nice!

Who makes those grips?

lunde
04-16-09, 17:57
Those are the original aluminum grips offered by Tactical Solutions. Sadly, they are no longer available. What they currently offer are made by Hogue.