PDA

View Full Version : Whats with all the Ak stuff these days?

rob_s
12-27-06, 07:47
I'm glad to hear someone else say it Kevin. I think there's a few things contributing to this recent upswing in AK interest.
1) The "reports" from the front(s) that our own soldiers prefer the AK. I have no idea if these reports are true or not, but either way they get the AK vs. AR debates going and that also raises awareness and interest.
2) The recent elections. Many people are afraid of future legislations limiting out legal ability to buy (and perhaps even own) "assault rifles", and they figure they better get theirs while they still can.
3) Taining opportunities with the AK. There has been much internet discussion of well-known and respected trainers like Pat Rogers teaching AK-specific classes. For many people that want to take this training, they need the proper tool.

xpd54
01-02-07, 19:36
Been away and just found this thread.

I think the big interest nowadays is because the AK is going thru the evolution the AR15 started going thru several years back. I had a MAADI back in 99 and sold it shortly after I got it. Why? I hated the thumbhole stock and there were very few good QUALITY aftermarket accessories at the time. Now? I can get good QUALITY accessories for my AKs. I bought my old MAADI back form the guy I sold it to and bought a SAM5 a few months prior to that. A few bucks spent on practical accessories and I have 2 ultra reliable, simple rifles.

I like things simple. I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle. That's one of the reasons I prefer AKs and Glocks to ARs and 1911s.

I have had numerous ARs and use them at work on a regular basis. If I could use my SAM5 as my patrol rifle instead of a RRA AR, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just never seemed to "click" with the AR platform the way that I have with my accessorized AKs.

C4IGrant
01-02-07, 20:05
We should know our enemies weapon of choice. I have been 100% anti-AK for ever, but I now have a chance to train with them so I bought one.

It is good to be knowledgeable on all weapon platforms as you never know what you will have to use.

C4

Dorsai
01-11-07, 07:45
Another forum, another first post, but lots of familiar names here.

I think the recent popularity of the AK can be directly related to availability and low cost. The SAR-1 and Maadi MISR started coming in during the ban. Other than the lack of a muzzle brake, they looked like traditional AKs. No butthole stocks. And, not only were they cheap, usually around $350 or less, but magazines were available in high numbers and low cost. As I recall, Interordnance was selling 4 mags and a mag pouch for $24.

Then the ban ended and the kits started coming in. Buy a kit for $99. US parts for another $50 and a receiver flat and rivets for $50. One Saturday later and you had an AK.

With numbers comes a desire for accessories. Replace, upgrade or just to fit your idea of "cool" and what it "should" look like.

9sigman45
01-11-07, 19:52

Then the ban ended and the kits started coming in. Buy a kit for $99. US parts for another $50 and a receiver flat and rivets for $50. One Saturday later and you had an AK.

Right ON! I'm literally done with that other board ;>).

I got BRD about 3 1/2 years ago. I currently have 5 & 2/3 ARs and have spent several, several thousand $$$ for them (a couple over $2K each). Last year I decided to build an AK just to have a new "project". 6 finished AKs (and 2 kits awaiting receivers from Harlan) later, and I still haven't spent as much as one of my high priced ARs. However, I'm honestly reaching the end of my AK fettish, and looking forward to getting back to concentrating on my AR's, ammo and more AMMO!!!!!

yrac
01-12-07, 10:42
We should know our enemies weapon of choice.
C4

BINGO!!!!!!!

The AK happens to be carbine of choice for a group of people (read that as "sub-human trash who want to come here uninvited to hurt me and mine") who hate us and wish to bring harm to us. If circumstances ever permit me to "forcibly procure" an AK from such an individual, I mean to be able to wield it as effectively as possible so that I can provide an appropriate level of attention and service to any associates who have come along with this individual.

M4arc
01-12-07, 17:56

I think the recent popularity of the AK can be directly related to availability and low cost. The SAR-1 and Maadi MISR started coming in during the ban. Other than the lack of a muzzle brake, they looked like traditional AKs. No butthole stocks. And, not only were they cheap, usually around $350 or less, but magazines were available in high numbers and low cost. As I recall, Interordnance was selling 4 mags and a mag pouch for $24.

With numbers comes a desire for accessories. Replace, upgrade or just to fit your idea of "cool" and what it "should" look like.

Welcome and nice first post ;)

sdcromer
01-14-07, 16:09

I think you nailed it. I was an AR shooter for years but 3 years ago I picked up my first AK new in the box for $319. Now I have four AK's and the most I paid for any of them was $480. I even built a Bulgarian 5.45x39 AK74 clone for a total of $280. Three years ago you could buy a 1000 round case of ammo for $80-$90. Now that price has doubled but is still cheap compared to 5.56.

I still love my AR's but I shoot the AK's more often because of the lower cost..

MudBug
01-14-07, 18:00
My interest is mostly based on the fact that for very little money I was able to build a robust, reliable, small package gun that works great as a truck gun.

http://www.goobage.com/pics/arms/pkms2.jpg

Now I need to train with it. I've used it once at a local 3-gun match and was pleasantly surprised to find I was able hit steel out to 350 yards without much trouble, not as fast as I can with my recon plus TR21, but not bad.

So I bought a second AK (SA-M7 that has been unbanned) for training, I don't think I could take 2 days of shooting an underfolder.

Basically, my PKMS makes a great truck gun, and to use it as that I need to train with the system.

yasnevo
01-15-07, 13:20
Kevin, there does seem to be some degree of mystism regarding the operation of the Kalashnikov weapon system. Its like the weapon was just recently discovered and that it was derived from stolen alien technology.

Back in September at the Tactical Response Alumni Weekend together with Greg German, I gave a 1-1.5 hour presentation on the AK. While it was not allot of time to get out all the info, I was able to demonstrate a few things that some did feel were stolen alien technology. I made it abundantly clear that with the sheer numbers of Kalashnikov's out there, the chance of running across one is more than highly likely and that you the operator, security contractor, common Joe snuffy, anyone basically, needs to know how to manipulate this weapon and do it seemlessly.

I told folks then as I do now... I am not in love with the AK system, I am in love with the weapon system that I have at my disposal, one that has plenty of ammo, and the one that works... whether it be an M4, AK, G3, FN-FAL, M-14, Remington 700 :) ...I train on them all and I can work them all seemlessly from from the other and I want it do that others have the same capability.

Y-

blackheart1137
01-19-07, 07:41
Alot of good posts about the tried and true reliability of the AK system and it also helps that no matter which country makes them they are fairly reliable. I became addicted to AKs when advising troops that had them and I carried it because the other 100 guys did. It was an ammo capability issue and why carry the only 556 on a patrol. Now I prefer them whole heartedly if given the choice. It comes down to proper training in the employment of the system and some aftermarket tune ups to bring it up to full capacity. ww2.bhigear.com/bhm has taken it to the extreme...i am kinda partial since it is my company and we enjoy customizing these for guys who understand the diamond in the rough they really are.

I only have my M4 because I still teach M4 classes to the masses but will take a tuned up AK any day.

coffinman
01-27-07, 00:33
Agree with the last...I love the AK. Ergonomics are'nt as great as the AR but reliability is hard to beat. And they are alot more accurate than most think. In my 10+ years of shooting I have seen alot of broken AR's, one of the things I don't like with the AR is that if you own one (and you are a civilian) you kind of need to be an armorer. Plus I prefer 7.62 to 5.56......x 51 and x 39.

Bulgarian Arsenal
Hungarian AKM
Russian Vepr

oh, and I do own an M4.

Spooky130
01-27-07, 14:56
I agree with the posters who talked about the cost of the system. The rifles are cheap, the mags are cheap, the ammo is cheap. You can get into a basic AK system (rifle, mags, ammo) for less than you can get into an AR alone.

Another aspect of the AK is the different varieties out there. Each country had their own "take" on an AK. With all the kits pouring in, you can choose which country to clone. Not that much different than folks who clone the early M16s, the M4geries, , M16A4s, SPRs, SDMs, Mk18s... you get the point.

I agree, I like the AR family. Ergonomics are great, parts are everywhere, and it is a good rifle.

Spooky

eodinert
01-28-07, 19:51
I am one that clearly stand on both sides of the fence.

As a young soldier in the '80s, the AK was the rifle in the hands of the guy on the other side of the fence. Mystique and misinformation was the rule (their gun can shoot our ammo, but ours can't shoot theirs, etc. Hype about the Dragonov was worse). Every country that made them put their own spin on the design, made their own mags, slings and accessories. Pure collecting fun.

I see the AK as a step backwards for a modern tool. I can't stop buying them, though.

Obiwan
01-29-07, 07:24
Like Grant I decided I was remiss in not learning what is arguably the most prolific weapon system on the planet

Right now, my 5.45x39 ammo is the cheapest thing going so a lot of my carbine training falls there instead of my AR

Mudbug....I didn't warm up to the underfolder right away, but I have found that by mounting the stock right on my right (upper) pec with a mag hold with the left hand I get a VERY controllable and comfortable hold