PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Walther P99

keysersoze
04-02-09, 23:16
Hey gang, bought a used P99 for a song, and will fire it later...any suggestions on accessories and holsters for it?

mattjmcd
04-02-09, 23:48
An AS model? If so, be careful learning the reset- it's super short!:eek:

John_Wayne777
04-02-09, 23:55
The German made Walther P99's (recognizable by the German proof marks) are great little handguns. I carried one for years before I standardized on the M&P. The "single action" mode of the standard P99 is the best trigger I've ever seen on a striker-fired pistol. Every P99 I fired was superbly accurate and pretty easy to shoot. I could never actually induce mine into malfunctioning even with a 2 finger hold on the weapon.

Until the introduction of the M&P the P99 was the premier Glock alternative, in my opinion. In some ways I think the P99 is somewhat better than the M&P (Not as sensitive to dryfire, better trigger, etc) but it is harder to find magazines, replacement parts, holsters, and other accessories for them. They are still excellent handguns, though.

I sold mine a while back along with all my magazines and accessories for it to pay for a Colt 6920 that I wanted more than the Walther.

Do you have one of the gen 1 models with the proprietary rails or one of the gen 2 guns with the standard rail?

Holsters -- I always carried mine in a Blade Tech scabbard or IWB holster. The P99 is a pretty compact little handgun so it should carry easily. Raven Concealment might even have a mold for the P99. If so, get one of their holsters. It will make the P99 carry like a dream.

Sights -- If yours doesn't come with night sights you might want to consider adding them.

Magazines -- They can be in short supply and if a new ban hits they'll be worth almost their weight in gold. Stack them deep....

Other than that there aren't many accessories out there for the P99's. They are great handguns, in my opinion, but they are an extremely limited part of the market and as such they don't get the aftermarket support that the other plastic guns get.

keysersoze
04-03-09, 00:09
I have a Gen 1 with the closed rail. :)