PDA

View Full Version : HK 45 is it all that?

gtmtnbiker98
04-03-09, 06:52
Just curious to learn if other owners of the HK 45 had any opinions as to the performance of the HK 45. Looking to share some experiences and insight. Thanks.

bgoode
04-03-09, 07:06
I don't own one but I do know that mags are hard to locate and holsters the same. Online orders may be a different story.

Business_Casual
04-03-09, 07:53
Is this a thread about the world's most accurate 45 caliber production handgun?

M_P

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-03-09, 09:07
The HK45 is an excellent handgun. It is essentially an ergonomically refined version of the H&K USP. I think Larry Vickers put it best by saying the HK45 is probably the most "bomb-proof" 45 available. I have 14797 documented rounds through my HK45 (and the total is a good bit higher because I have shot it with friends and loaned the gun out for shooting). I haven't replaced a spring or mag and the gun looks fine other than a dinged-up mag-well and finish wear. I have two Novak's custom 1911s and I can honestly say the HK45 is more mechanically accurate than they are (by a hair). I can still shoot my 1911s accurately more consistently, but barely.

The HK45 is a large gun. That is the result of its over-engineering. The HK45 was developed to be a military combat handgun. I don't think any substantial consideration was given to law-enforcement or civilian shooters. I think the primary focus of this gun was to be able to fire scads of ammo under extreme conditions without parts breakage. I have seen nothing that leads me to believe the HK45 isn't the very best handgun for this purpose.

Although I am a big fan, and would certainly want an HK45 if I was about to step into a road warrior movie, I don't carry one on a daily basis. I am a small guy and the HK45 is too big. The HK45 gets shot with my full-size 1911s on the weekend. My daily carry is a Kahr PM9 (although I am tailoring a Colt Officer's to replace it).

GlockWRX
04-03-09, 09:14
I'm kind of on the fence about mine. I haven't had it long and only put about 500 rounds though it. It's certainly accurate, and has not malfunctioned yet. I put the ambi safety in it and it's pretty ergonomic. The SA trigger pull is very nice, although I'd like a shorter reset. The DA trigger blows, but I'd never carry it hammer down anyway. Overall, it shoots pretty well.

The holster issue isn't that bad. I contacted Safariland and was told they make a 6004 for it, with and without an X300 attached. Raven Concealment Systems makes their Phantom for it (I have one and love it). So there are some good holsters out there.

The only aftermarket sights I've seen so far are the Heinies. Not bad, but I'd like more choices.

Spares parts are kind of iffy. Being a Glock shooter has kind of spoiled me, there are spare parts everywhere. I can have just about anything to my door in just a few days for pretty reasonable cost. The HK is tougher, as stock only trickles in and you are at HK's mercy. As for customer service, I've been treated well by the HK staff everytime I've called. I'm not an institutional customer, and all I needed was the ambi safety. So take that FWIW.

The thing that chafes me the most are the mags. IF you can find them, and IF you are lucky, you'll pay over $55 for them. I've seen some places charging $65 and up for them. That's just absurd.

It's an excellent gun for sure. Whether it does things better than my G17, I'm not sure yet.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-03-09, 13:33
I have seen Glock mags in the $30 region lately. Which is insane. All mags are freaking nuts. I bought a butt-load of Glock 18 mags at $24 last year. I could probably sell them and retire right now. LOL.

ToddG
04-03-09, 14:02
Magazines have always been high-margin items for gun companies. Glock was the exception back when they used to sell them for around $15 but as their market share has shrunk (from totally dominating to merely dominating) they've clearly rearranged priorities and started to recoup profits via parts & accessories.

In fairness to the gun companies, almost all pistol magazines are manufactured in Europe and given the exchange rate between the dollar and euro, you're going to see prices rise without anyone really making more money.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-03-09, 14:43
Todd,

Wasn't it you that pointed out that H&K still manufactures their mags in-house rather than subbing it out? Do you know of anyone else that does this?

Obiwan
04-03-09, 14:47
GB...what operating system do you have in yours?

Or if you prefer...which variant?:D

ToddG
04-03-09, 16:16
Wasn't it you that pointed out that H&K still manufactures their mags in-house rather than subbing it out? Do you know of anyone else that does this?

To the best of my knowledge, HK and Glock are the only two companies that make their own pistol mags.

jeffreywt
04-03-09, 16:57
Some people hate it, but I love the mag release on my USPs. I use my middle finger to operate it.

The mag release on the HK45 feels even better!

DacoRoman
04-03-09, 17:27
Some people hate it, but I love the mag release on my USPs. I use my middle finger to operate it.

The mag release on the HK45 feels even better!

I've been fighting urges to get an HK45, especially the compact, but I think I'll be better off with a more "practical" (read less expensive gun with more parts availability and cheaper mags) gun like another Glock, or delving into the M&P world.

I don't mind the USP style release. I release its mag with my index finger, but I do have to very slightly shift my 3-5th digits on the front of the grip do avert pinching my middle finger.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-03-09, 18:17
Obiwan,

Mine has the standard C&L setup. The trigger on mine is a fairly crisp 3.5 pounds. If I could get a nice over travel stop installed it would be, essentially, perfect.

bullitt5172
04-03-09, 18:21
Just curious to learn if other owners of the HK 45 had any opinions as to the performance of the HK 45. Looking to share some experiences and insight. Thanks.

Was not impressed and sold it within a week....

1SFG
04-03-09, 20:19
large gun for sure, but an absolute tack driver. I have a Raven holster on order for mine. Local dealer had spare parts in the $50 range and I picked one up to accompany the two included in the package. If you're down to pinching pennies and can only afford to buy one gun chambered in .45acp, then perhaps there are much better choices for the average shooter. But since I don't have that issue, for me it represents another addition to my collection of a very effective blaster, built to stand up to heavy duty use, and fun to shoot. My biggest beef are the sights - don't know WTF they were thinking there.

SCULLY
04-03-09, 20:25
I just picked up a HK45, i am a 1911 guy, but i am totally amazed in this HK45. The ergonimcs are fantastic, the contoured grip fits my hand like a glove, and it is built as solid as can be. It can be carried/used cocked and locked, this is great if your a 1911 user or just want to take advantage of the single action trigger. . As Greg Bell said, it is over engineered (built like a tank). When it comes to Glock, i think they build them as cheap as can be, but still get the job well done. It keeps manufacturing cost waaay down and can be sold at a low price and still make a profit. There is a market for lower priced guns, especially police budgets, dont get me wrong, glocks work extremely well and on top of it, can be had at a cheap price. Good business plan. When it comes to the Germans, i think they build it to extreme quality, and price is secondary, even though higher priced, there is a market for that also. Both Glock and HK run great, but with HK, i think it will run the race alot longer and need less maintenence way down the road. Definately take a look at the HK45, and if it works for you, it seems to me, to be an extremely well designed and solidly built platform.

Saginaw79
04-03-09, 21:46
Yes

I have one and love it, its replaced my 1911.

It handles better, is far more accurate, has a better trigger etc

Obiwan
04-04-09, 11:15
What always bothered me about HK handguns was that I had to apy top dollar for a pistol and then pay extra to get it switched from variant 1

They sing the praises of all the trigger groups but you never seem to see anything except var1

variablebinary
04-04-09, 12:19
Was not impressed and sold it within a week....

Same.

When I was shopping for a polymer .45 a few months back, I got to shoot the HK45 side by side with the M&P45 and the S&W felt better in every way possble

I was not impressed with the HK45 at all

mourneblade
04-04-09, 12:33
I have the HK45 LEM(I forget what the variant number is). I originally had the standard DA/SA trigger, but had a hard time adapting to the DA pull. HK did the mod for me. The LEM is unusual feeling, but quite nice for fast shooting once you get used to it.

RogerinTPA
04-04-09, 13:26
Same.

When I was shopping for a polymer .45 a few months back, I got to shoot the HK45 side by side with the M&P45 and the S&W felt better in every way possble

I was not impressed with the HK45 at all

I was able to do the same with a friend's HK45 Vs my M&P45. I will admit that the HK is a pretty good weapon and accurate. The mag release took some getting used to for me, but not a show stopper. Afterwords, we both walked away with the impression that the M&P was the better shooting platform as far as accuracy, and recoil management, was concerned. The fact that the availability of mags, parts and S&W's excellent customer service is also something to consider. My friend felt that the M&P was overall, the better value. For the price and added value, I couldn't agree more.

gtmtnbiker98
04-04-09, 14:00
Thank's for the honest opinions and then some.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-04-09, 15:39
As you can see, like every other gun some love em', some hate em'.

HK45
04-04-09, 19:29
Love the Hk .45. Fantastic quality and accuracy. It does have a lot of muzzle flip and twist recoil but so do many other pistols. The M&P .45 beats everyone in this area. I like big pistols but then I am a big guy with big hands. I have come to like the HK45c more because the mag lip makes it fit my hand in way that makes for much less muzzle flip. it's also scary accurate. I don't mind paying more for HK mags because they are such high quality and they can be found if you look around enough. The problem with HK is customer service which sucks big time and always has at least since my first experience with them in the mid-80's.

The Raven Concealment holster is the one to get for this pistol. I would also like to see Warren Tactical sights.

Does anyone know of the Hk 45 or HK45c are showing up with LEM triggers yet? I know you can change the trigger or order one from the factory with LEM but i want to know if they are shipping.

11Bravo
04-04-09, 19:58
What kind of prices are people seeing for one of these?
Am very interested in getting one.

Thanks,

Greg

HK45
04-04-09, 20:13
From what I have seen they started to drop in price but when everyone went gun crazy they jumped back up again to $950 to $1000. just when I was starting to see them for $850.

VA_Dinger
04-04-09, 22:54
So far, I love mine. Although I have only been shooting it seriously for a month or so. I've only shot/carried it "locked & cocked" so I do not care about the DA trigger pull. I consider the SA trigger to be excellent. The grip fits my hand well, as does the manual safety. But like anything else it requires some getting used to when switching over from another handgun. Which is why I pay absolutely zero attention to "reviews" written by someone who has only a range trip or two of experience with an HK45.

Now I just need a P30 LEM.

mrosamilia
04-05-09, 06:54
I have the HK45 and the full size M&P 45. I like the HK45 better. I just have one question however. I have read many "reviews" that state the M&P is much better at handling recoil. I did a test with a few friends and even the wife last week and to a tee everyone that shot both believed that the HK was the softer shooter. Anyone have any thoughts?

Bob RI
04-05-09, 07:16
The only thing holding me back from the HK45 is that I want real nightsights and the LEM trigger conversion. To get all of that, plus the cost of the gun is simply too much. I could get another carbine for that amount of scratch. No doubt it is a fine weapon though!

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-05-09, 10:15
mrosamilia,

Probably because there is little detectable difference. The M&P is cheaper than the HK45, so more people are going to have them. The more people have them the more people who will be comfortable with that gun. When a person familiar with that gun picks up an HK45 they will like it less, especially if they bring preconceived notions to the table (bore axis, politics, concerns about price). That explains, in my experience, 99% of the opinions of ALL guns, not just the HK45 and M&P.

When I shot a friend's M&P I immediately disliked the grip. I remember thinking "what are all these people talking about?" But then I realized, there wasn't anything wrong with the grip, I was just used to something else.

When I hear a lot of gunshop expertise about what gun is better, or more shootable, or whatever, I think back to Earnest Langdon dominating first with the Beretta 92 and then the Sig 220. Both of these guns are often poo-pooed for various reason (THE DREADED BORE AXIS!/muzzle flip card) but proved excellent in his hands. Even excellent shooters often exaggerate the importance of some of these concepts. Lets face it, some folks are phenomenal shooters and would whoop most of our butts with a Hi-point.

HK45
04-05-09, 10:39
The M&P ergos are better and it is a striker fire pistol. Your hand slides into the grip and it has a beavertail overhang that combined with the low bore axis means the least muzzle rise of any .45, (or .40) that I have ever owned.

We are not all Ernest Lagndon.

Plenty of people, widely recognized experts like oh say Col. Cooper have written extensively about the virtues of a low bore axis. But solving that here is like arguing 9mm vs. .45. I find people use this issue mostly to defend their choice of favorites.

I have the HK45 and the full size M&P 45. I like the HK45 better. I just have one question however. I have read many "reviews" that state the M&P is much better at handling recoil. I did a test with a few friends and even the wife last week and to a tee everyone that shot both believed that the HK was the softer shooter. Anyone have any thoughts?

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-05-09, 10:52
I agree we are not all Earnest Langdon. But when you take an Earnest Langdon, and put him in competition with the rest of the best shooters in the world, it turned out that those considerations weren't a big deal. IMHO this is true up and down the skill spectrum.

What makes a good shooter is his willingness to practice, take the advice of competent teachers and his ability to integrate and continue building on these things. The choice of pistol, and the various minor differences between them don't seem to make much difference. That is all I am saying. Too many people obsess about what Jeff Cooper used to call this "preoccupation with inconsequential increments."Combine this, almost OCD, attitude among gun aficionados with the concerns I outlined earlier and you have the reason why strong opinions form for little or no practical reason.

HK45
04-05-09, 10:56
I have strong opinions about both the Hk 45 and M&P .45. I like them both more than any other .45 I have ever been issued or owned which includes some of the finest 1911's money can buy.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-05-09, 11:02
My strongest opinions are reserved for my love of Reese cups. Specifically the peanut butter in Reeses cups.

DacoRoman
04-05-09, 13:36
I am not a professional shooter, but I don't consider myself a slouch either. In any case what I've observed regarding the whole bore axis thing is this. Muzzle flip is often times inversely proportional to felt recoil. A gun with a lower bore axis will recoil in a straighter line into the web of your hand (assuming a high grip hold with both types of guns), which will often increase felt recoil even though the muzzle flip is less. If you are used to a gun with a slightly higher bore axis such as the HK30/45/USP/Sigs, the higher muzzle flip is mitigated in a sense by the reduced sense of recoil, i.e. the pistol feels "softer shooting".

If your trigger prep timing and on target front sight recovery rhythm/technique is dialed in I think that you can shoot very fast with a gun with a slightly higher bore axis. What I found to be harder with these guns, is shooting true hammers (one sight picture with two quick shots), but I also think this is because, coincidentally, these guns also have a longer trigger reset. My USP has basically the same bore axis height as my 1911 ( the 1911 bore axis is minutely lower), but a true hammer is way easier with the 1911 due to the much better trigger, including, its much shorter trigger reset and lack of creep back to sear disengagement that the USP has (not to mention the weight differences).

In any case, in my experience, very rapid controlled strings of fire (e.g., Bill Drills) are very possible with the guns that are traditionally attacked as having a "high bore axis". If you are a world class competition shooter, yes, all else being equal, you'd probably prefer a lower bore axis (and a heavier pistol), but for a duty/combat gun used in practical martial or self defense applications, the bore axis issue is way overblown, and essentially a canard. I'm sure some will disagree though, which is fine, as this is a discussion forum :)

HK45
04-05-09, 14:38
How many Reese's can a range commando like you fit into your surplus store camies?

My strongest opinions are reserved for my love of Reese cups. Specifically the peanut butter in Reeses cups.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-05-09, 16:23
Currently, using Molle surplus grenade pouches about 75.

ToddG
04-05-09, 18:09
I did a test with a few friends and even the wife last week and to a tee everyone that shot both believed that the HK was the softer shooter. Anyone have any thoughts?

Recoil and muzzle flip are not the same thing.

Neither recoil nor muzzle flip are the same as "how fast can I shoot this gun?"

I agree we are not all Earnest Langdon. But when you take an Earnest Langdon, and put him in competition with the rest of the best shooters in the world, it turned out that those considerations weren't a big deal. IMHO this is true up and down the skill spectrum.

If you think Ernest doesn't care about hardware, then you don't know Ernest. :cool:

Not disagreeing with the gist of your post, of course. Very, very few people are substantially hampered by their choice of weapon.

mrosamilia
04-06-09, 06:50
Thanks for the info on recoil, bore axis, and muzzle flip. I had not thought about perceived recoil/muzzle flip. I appreciate the views.:)

sigmundsauer
04-06-09, 09:09
In my experience, slide mass and recoil spring stiffness has just as much, if not more, to do with muzzle flip than bore axis alone. I have a .45 ACP HK USPc that has amazingly little muzzle flip despite its high bore axis.

The HK45 is a fine sidearm. Personally, I would opt for the HK45c, though, in LEM, of course.

Tim

dutch
04-06-09, 15:49
I have both and like both, the HK actually feels better but thats where better ends for me. The M&P is better in muzzle flip, has a faster recovery and mine is simply more accurate and more than it should be. The HK is a full size and the smith is a 4 inch bbl and to date the MP is the most accurate service pistol I have personally shot. Never thought I would even look at a non 1911 but these 2 changed all that for me.

DacoRoman
04-06-09, 19:54
I have both and like both, the HK actually feels better but thats where better ends for me. The M&P is better in muzzle flip, has a faster recovery and mine is simply more accurate and more than it should be. The HK is a full size and the smith is a 4 inch bbl and to date the MP is the most accurate service pistol I have personally shot. Never thought I would even look at a non 1911 but these 2 changed all that for me.

Have you ever benched these two? Not to disparage the M&P in any way as they seem to have lots going for them, and I'd like one, and I could be wrong, but I always thought that the HK45 has more inherent accuracy, so I'm curious, what's the consensus on this, which one is more accurate? And are all M&P's super accurate, or are some calibers/models known to be more so.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-06-09, 20:59
I have a well-worn HK45 that is ready for a bench rest competition! My gun is crazy accurate. I will buy coke and sandwiches if I lose!

dutch
04-06-09, 21:49
I have shot them enough to know the m&p shoots as well up to 35 yards as my CQB and at thost distances as well as my p2 baer, why do u think I am so impressed with this gun, don't know mabye its a fluke gun. I almost think it has to be because a gun shouldn't shoot like this for $450. The HK shoots great also but its more of what I expected, shoots almost as good as some highend 1911s and better than some mids but the mp is nothing as I expected. Its great when you can pick up a gun and on a consistant basis actually hit what you aim at every time and know when you miss its you and not the gun. If the HK is better in whatever way as some think I am going to need an expert to show me where and why. Its kinda of this way in the scope market where SB is best because someone said so, u know monkey see monkey do. Try them and get what you shoot the best, thats all that matters anyway. Again both are tops from what I have seen.

dutch
04-07-09, 13:20
Good points by ToggG on various samples and thats what I am inclined to think, you would need multiple samples of each model to get a good comparision.

varoadking
04-08-09, 09:36
My HK45 has a factory light LEM conversion. It is much nicer than the V2 LEM in my P30. I also tend to shoot the HK45 much better than the P30. Go figure, huh?

Something I do not like about either piece is the trough in the trigger guard...it's a bit irritating.

I'm looking forward to the release of the .40S&W P30 LEM this fall, and the proper springs being made available by HK for light LEM conversions on the P30 line...

Mjolnir
04-18-09, 13:53
OUTSTANDING handgun. Not too big to carry and I do alternate between it and my TRS. However the magazines are wider so I have to be careful about the topshirt I wear.

Trigger pull is fine in single action but being a 1911 guy EVERY trigger pull could be improved. The DA trigger pull is 'okay' for really close stuff (i.e., less than 5 yards) but it still requires a lot of dry-firing exercises to maintain anything beyond that at any kind of speed for me.

In summary, I have zero real issues about the pistol. I carry it cocked and locked and I shoot it very well; not QUITE as well as a 1911 but damned close. As far as mechanical accuracy is concerned I cannot tell the difference between my 1911s and the HK45s.

Improvements to the pistol revolve around two things only: Shorter trigger reset and lighter DA pull and a set of 10-8 Performance-type rear sight.

HK45
11-01-09, 20:54
Love the HK45 and 45c which I actually shoot better than the full size. Mags are expensive but they are worth it. I've been able to find plenty.

But I also think the M&P .45's are almost as good, fit my hand better, and cost much less.

Gombey
11-01-09, 21:51
I have the 45c, I LOVE it. True say it is my first and only hand gun, firearm for that matter, but I am in love with it and I can't wait to get the full size.

I am watching gangland right now, so I only skimmed this thread. I read that someone uses the middle finger to eject the mag, I use my thumb. Is the middle finger or trigger finger used for a tac. reason? Or is it just pref?

canucksvt
11-01-09, 21:55
I had the opportunity to try out a friend's HK45, and even though it was nice, it was not twice as nice for the almost twice as expensive price tag it had over my M&P45.

With that said, I will say that I am a big fan of the FNP45 as well as the M&P45. To me, the M&P45 and FNP45 are the best values for a full sized .45acp pistol that are available.

HK45, M&P45 or FNP45 all are nice, and able to go with you into harm's way and help you get back.

skyugo
11-01-09, 23:44
Magazines have always been high-margin items for gun companies. Glock was the exception back when they used to sell them for around $15 but as their market share has shrunk (from totally dominating to merely dominating) they've clearly rearranged priorities and started to recoup profits via parts & accessories.

In fairness to the gun companies, almost all pistol magazines are manufactured in Europe and given the exchange rate between the dollar and euro, you're going to see prices rise without anyone really making more money.

gotta keep in mind wiht glock prices that A)there was a huge run on anything "high cap" or "tactical"
B)the dolla value has fallen quite a bit.
glock is still one of the most economical guns to shoot and carry.

that said...
i want a USP 45 compact tactical..... :o

skyugo
11-02-09, 00:01

yeah there is no other peanut butter quite like that... :D

BLACK LION
11-02-09, 15:06
MARK 23 .45 , USP .45 or HK45 ??? Which would be the optimal "all around" choice...

ToddG
11-02-09, 16:23
MARK 23 .45 , USP .45 or HK45 ??? Which would be the optimal "all around" choice...

HK45 by a long, long margin.

QuickStrike
11-02-09, 16:45
I had the opportunity to try out a friend's HK45, and even though it was nice, it was not twice as nice for the almost twice as expensive price tag it had over my M&P45.

With that said, I will say that I am a big fan of the FNP45 as well as the M&P45. To me, the M&P45 and FNP45 are the best values for a full sized .45acp pistol that are available.

HK45, M&P45 or FNP45 all are nice, and able to go with you into harm's way and help you get back.

+1. I've been reading around a bit, and came to the same conclusion. My M&P45's have been good.

That said I just might impulse buy an HK45 compact sometime next year. :D

BLACK LION
11-03-09, 11:09
HK45 by a long, long margin.

Thanks Todd, that will save me some trouble.

I see an HK45"tactical" in my future... we will see how things play out.

canucksvt
11-03-09, 12:51
I don't want to be misconstrued as one who poo-poo'ed the HK45. I would love to have one in my collection some day. I bought my M&P45 from Grant @ G&R Tactical and got a phenomenal deal from him, while S&W was doing their $50.00 rebate and 2 free magazine promotion. I think my total price after the rebate was $455.00 for the pistol and (4) magazines with the 2 free magazine deal.

I do prefer a hammer fired pistol over a striker fired one, but I have to say I cannot complain about my M&P so far. It has been flawless in function and is very accurate. I saw no difference in accuracy between the M&P, HK45 and FN45 I shot on the same day with the same ammunition.

I am holding my breath now hoping that FN will release the FNP45 with the threaded barrel, raised night sights and Doctor Optic to the regular civilian market.

I too hope to add a HK45 to my collection one day. I tried to love the USP series, but could not. The HK45 and HK P30 are both very nice, robust pistols that have ergonomics down pat. Kudo's to HK for doing that!

+1. I've been reading around a bit, and came to the same conclusion. My M&P45's have been good.

That said I just might impulse buy an HK45 compact sometime next year. :D

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-03-09, 19:46
Damn you guys. Stopped by the guns store this afternoon, and just when I think I've got my handgun plans in place, you have to put a HK45 in my hands. Not at all like the USPs that I remembered.

BSHNT2015
11-03-09, 22:11
Can anyone recommend a duty holster? I am still waiting for the ambi lever to show up from HK. The grip on this gun is by the far the best feeling grip out there for a plastic gun.

Savior 6
11-04-09, 02:33
The HK45 is one of my favorite HGs, next to my P220 Combat TB. That being said...

What always bothered me about HK handguns was that I had to apy top dollar for a pistol and then pay extra to get it switched from variant 1

They sing the praises of all the trigger groups but you never seem to see anything except var1

The only thing holding me back from the HK45 is that I want real nightsights and the LEM trigger conversion. To get all of that, plus the cost of the gun is simply too much. I could get another carbine for that amount of scratch. No doubt it is a fine weapon though!
These have been my major complaints of the HK45. You pay a hefty price and are left to wonder if you want to "upgrade" it. If the pistol would have been release in it's original form (ambi, tan, TB), I'm sure that I would have no complaints and it would have easily been my favorite.

I am holding my breath now hoping that FN will release the FNP45 with the threaded barrel, raised night sights and Doctor Optic to the regular civilian market.

I too am hoping that FN will release this HG in this configuration, so that I don't run into the same frustrations I have with the HK45.

To the OP, I know it may seem that I only have negative things to say about the HK45, but I'm just the type that prefers to "air out" the negative. The HK45 is an awesome handgun and I'm sure that if you bought it, you would not be disappointed. You might have some of the same complaints, but you will still be happy with your purchase. My favorite features of the weapon are the ergo grip and the mag release. I believe both are the best found on any HG. The grip actually feels great in the hand and the mag release is easily accessable w/o changing your grip

Pappabear
11-04-09, 05:16
I do really like my HK45, I put straight 8's on it and really like the set up. I run it like my 1911's and will sometimes pull my first shot down, even in SA mode. I believe if I practiced more with just it, that would be easy to overcome. But I shoot many pistols.

One thing I have noticed when shooting it side by side with my FNP45. It feeds so smooth. You can tell the gun is built very well. I'm sure others could explain why, but I tell you it it strips and feeds like butter. I still like the powerful crunch and feel of my FNP and 1911's when I rack the slide, but there is just something special about that HK45. I think to myself, this gun functions in a unique excellent manner. Which should result in longer life, better reliability and smoother operation than most.

Just one impression of the gun in which I thought unique.

BLACK LION
11-04-09, 12:49
I think I have decided on the HK45 as well. I hope I can get the"Tactical" model when it comes out.
This should replace the beckoning for a balls to the wall 1911 since it will cost about the same to top the HK off with extra mags, holster and other necessary accoutrements.

Turnkey11
11-04-09, 22:54
I just wish they sold a model with a ambi safety; they advertise lefty models but I have never, ever seen one for sale, anywhere.

Cincinnatus
11-05-09, 10:32
Will the HK45 fit any holsters not specifically designed for it (usually leather)? For instance, I have some leather SA XD 45 holsters that fit my M&P .40 great.

BLACK LION
11-05-09, 12:05
Belay my last. They HK45 is no CA DOJ approved. I found an HK USP "tactical" for 899.00... Going to shop around a bit.

forgiven
11-05-09, 12:17
Belay my last. They HK45 is no CA DOJ approved. I found an HK USP "tactical" for 899.00... Going to shop around a bit.

If that Tactical is new I doubt you will find it any cheaper.

Cincinnatus
11-05-09, 13:14
Does any body know if HK USP 45 mags will work in HK45? I don't like being limited to only 10 rds.

COLT6933
11-05-09, 14:53
Does any body know if HK USP 45 mags will work in HK45? I don't like being limited to only 10 rds.

No they will not work

Gombey
11-05-09, 15:06
I think they will, everything I have read seems to lend to the fact they can. On the bottom of my HK45c mag it says hk45/usp. Unless someone has tried and failed I have to disagree with COLT6933.

Serpico1985
11-05-09, 16:46
USP mags will not work in HK45/c guns. Go over to hkpro forum and read around a bit. There's a guy over there trying to make a plus 2 extension for the HK45. It's a replacement base plate and spring. Looks promising, but long story short USP mags won't work in HK45 series guns.

Gombey
11-05-09, 16:54
USP mags will not work in HK45/c guns. Go over to hkpro forum and read around a bit. There's a guy over there trying to make a plus 2 extension for the HK45. It's a replacement base plate and spring. Looks promising, but long story short USP mags won't work in HK45 series guns.

Really? That is where I got the info that they would work....never the less I stand corrected.

Serpico1985
11-05-09, 18:48
Well, let me put it this way. I have never heard of a USP mag fitting a HK45/c handgun. If it does that would be new news to me. I think because it dosen't work it why you hear so much talk about "when will hk come out with 12 round mags or higher capacity mags for hk45" etc type threads.

Serpico1985
11-05-09, 18:49
Also, can you point me to the thread on hkpro that discuses USP mags fitting in HK45 guns if you have it on hand?

Thanks.

forgiven
11-06-09, 01:38
USP 12rd mags will NOT work in the HK45 or the HK45c

USPc 8rd mags WILL work in the HK45c

Gombey
11-06-09, 01:51
Ahhhh, ok. I knew there was some cross over somewhere.

Pappabear
11-06-09, 03:04
Will the HK45 fit any holsters not specifically designed for it (usually leather)? For instance, I have some leather SA XD 45 holsters that fit my M&P .40 great.

I tried my HK45 in my XD holster, and it did not come close (Bladetech). The HK slide seems a little too wide, even for a leather. Depends on the leather, but I assure you it will be SNUG if it does fit.

Savior 6
11-06-09, 03:26
USP 12rd mags will NOT work in the HK45 or the HK45c

USPc 8rd mags WILL work in the HK45c

The HK45 mag was designed off the slimmer USP45c mag and made longer. This allowed for the grip circumference to be smaller and more "universal", yet retain it's high capacity.

Cincinnatus
11-06-09, 12:09
I tried my HK45 in my XD holster, and it did not come close (Bladetech). The HK slide seems a little too wide, even for a leather. Depends on the leather, but I assure you it will be SNUG if it does fit.

Thanks. I wonder if a Don Hume would fit, they seem to have a little more play in the fit than a Bladetech does.

Mark71
11-08-09, 02:30

A few guys on HKPRO are/were using Safariland Glock 21 holsters for their HK45 and stated that it fit great both with and without a light.

Cincinnatus
11-08-09, 17:46
A few guys on HKPRO are/were using Safariland Glock 21 holsters for their HK45 and stated that it fit great both with and without a light.

Thanks!