PDA

View Full Version : High Impact: M16

AirTrafficControl
04-03-09, 08:26
Show airs tonight on the History Channel. 11pm-12am

I haven't seen it before. I'm planning on having a few brews and staying up to watch it. If any of you have seen it already please let me know if it is worth watching. Cheers...ATC

fruitjacket
04-03-09, 09:39
Show airs tonight on the History Channel. 11pm-12am

I haven't seen it before. I'm planning on having a few brews and staying up to watch it. If any of you have seen it already please let me know if it is worth watching. Cheers...ATC

Thanks for the heads up. Set to record. ;)

AirTrafficControl
04-03-09, 11:54
Thanks for the heads up. Set to record. ;)

No problem. I figured I'd share the info...ATC

exkc135driver
04-03-09, 23:29
I just got through watching and taping it. It's not a bad primer for someone who doesn't know anything about the weapon system, but most of the people on this forum won't learn much. There were a few errors ... when discussing the infamous North Hollywood shootout, they showed one of the bad guys using an M16 (I assume it was actually an illegally converted AR-15) with a Beta-C magazine which the commentator described as a "double drum magazine" which "holds 200 rounds." And when diagramming the operation of the weapon, the commentator explained how the firing pin hit the primer "at the rear of the bullet."

The commentator said that the weapon system can be configured for many purposes, including sniping and competition, but none of that was shown. Personally I was hoping that they would talk more about competition and shoot some film at Camp Perry, but 'twas not to be.

That said, I enjoyed the show.

For those who missed it, it comes on again Saturday (today) at 0300 on the History Channel.

Edited to add: That's 0300 Eastern Time.

variablebinary
04-03-09, 23:48
1AM MST on Comcast Cable. My reminder is set.

cobra90gt
04-04-09, 14:13
I had the DVR record it - it was like a brief overview of the platform, decent way to kill ~ an hour. :)

scottryan
04-04-09, 15:11
Still continues to perpetuate the myth the forward assist was added to fix the jamming problem in Vietnam.

Still continues to perpetuate they myth the M16A1 was a replacement for the M16.

HK propaganda hit piece.

Too much time spent on the north hollywood shootout.

decodeddiesel
04-04-09, 17:14
Still continues to perpetuate the myth the forward assist was added to fix the jamming problem in Vietnam.

Still continues to perpetuate they myth the M16A1 was a replacement for the M16.

HK propaganda hit piece.

Agreed. Sure made the 416 look like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Rider79
04-04-09, 21:48
Apparently the 7.62x39 was designed to "penetrate tanks" according to the LAPD swat guy. :rolleyes:

Didn't like the extensive use of tannerite either. Perpetuates the whole anti-gun argument of "these evil assault weapons are too dangerous to be on the streets" and it's misleading. Cool, but misleading.

mmike87
04-05-09, 18:18
Apparently the 7.62x39 was designed to "penetrate tanks" according to the LAPD swat guy. :rolleyes:

Didn't like the extensive use of tannerite either. Perpetuates the whole anti-gun argument of "these evil assault weapons are too dangerous to be on the streets" and it's misleading. Cool, but misleading.

I don't think too many anti's are wathing these History Channel weapons shows. I think they are primarily for people who like guns - however they do need to keep their terminology accurate.

I enjoyed the show. I thought it was worth watching but did have to roll my eyes at the HK piece. Yes, the 416 is awesome, just find one and ask it and it'll tell you.

scottryan
04-05-09, 18:31

HK propaganda hit piece.

Rider79
04-06-09, 01:39
I don't think too many anti's are watching these History Channel weapons shows. I think they are primarily for people who like guns...

If you think for a second that groups like the Violence Policy Center don't have people looking for over the top footage like that to use in furthering their agenda, think again.

It's like the footage they had a few years ago of the anti gun Broward County, FL sheriff having one of his deputies firing a full auto AK into concrete block to show how devastating the weapons were that the AWB covered, and that's why it needed reinstated.

MeanRider
04-06-09, 22:35
There was one quip that I really enjoyed though. They said an inquiery was started in 2004 because the Iraqis were being killed with so many head shots, that they thought that there was some underhanded killings going on. Turns out just good old fashioned Marine Corps markemanship.

mmike87
04-07-09, 10:41
If you think for a second that groups like the Violence Policy Center don't have people looking for over the top footage like that to use in furthering their agenda, think again.

It's like the footage they had a few years ago of the anti gun Broward County, FL sheriff having one of his deputies firing a full auto AK into concrete block to show how devastating the weapons were that the AWB covered, and that's why it needed reinstated.

What are antis going to get out of that video? That we shouldn't own M-16's? We already can't for the most part anyway. The video was primarily historical, and primarily dealt with military use and history of the weapon. I don't think there is much for them to see there. I don't know what you could have changed to make it less appealing to antis aside from just not having the show to begin with.

The footage of the deputy was probably always intended to be used for some anti purpose. Why was the deputy firing a full auoto AK anyway? Why is he even allowed to? It's not a duty weapon.

scottryan
04-07-09, 11:29
What are antis going to get out of that video? That we shouldn't own M-16's? We already can't for the most part anyway.

That is irrelevant because most people don't understand the difference.

And when it comes down to this difference, it doesn't matter anyway.

The difference between a select fire assault rifle and its semi only counterpart is small in reality.

Rider79
04-07-09, 23:31
What are antis going to get out of that video? That we shouldn't own M-16's? We already can't for the most part anyway.... I don't know what you could have changed to make it less appealing to antis aside from just not having the show to begin with.

Not using the Tannerite would have been one thing. Josh Sugarmann from the VPC loves shit like that. "Look at what these evil assault weapons can do! They can make things explode!" The VPC knows they don't do that, we know they don't do that, but the non-gun owner who just got done watching the footage of the Pittsburgh shootings doesn't know that. Sugarmann wrote a policy paper years ago that questioned the idea of gun control groups going after handgun ownership and banning ownership of them. He said they needed to instead look at things like AR15s that fewer people owned, and knew little about. It would be an easier place to start. He said if you place an AR15 next to an M16, the average person has no idea that anything is different between the 2, they both look like military guns to him. So basically ban those weapons first, start the ball rolling, and move on to things like handguns.

mmike87
04-08-09, 07:35
Not using the Tannerite would have been one thing.

OK, I'll give you that.

So what are we saying here - the History channel shouldn't have shows about weapons because any show could provide video clips, if shown out of context, that could portray weapons in a bad light?

I see some of the points you're making, but I don't think then intent of the show was to portray weapons poorly. But you're right - it could be taken out of context and use for evil purposes.

Rider79
04-08-09, 19:34
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I don't like seeing clips of the tannerite stuff, because while it looks cool, it makes it look like our weapons can do that. In a couple of the tannerite clips he was shooting semi auto. It's like an episode of Jesse James' monster garage a few years ago. He shot one of his project cars with a Barrett, but if you knew what you were looking at you could see it was tannerite attached to a propane tank sitting on the hood that caused the explosion. Yet James told you that's what a .50 bmg will do to a car.