PDA

View Full Version : Risk Matrix

RWBlue
04-03-09, 12:02
This is the same post I have made on several different forums over the years. If you have already read this someplace else skip it.

It appears that some people need to learn how to think of the risks (reasons we prep) in a logical manner. As an IT Risk Manager with some physical security knowledge, this is what I came up with.

Start with an excel spreadsheet.
Here are the beginning column headings (Risk, Possibility, Impact, Bugin, Bugout, Plan, Gun, generator, night vision, and any other item you want to buy)
Under Risk list any and all risks you can think of.
Then under possibility put a percentage. Floods happen here once every couple hundred years so it get 01.
Then under Impact rate the level of impact. A massive asteroid hitting the earth would be 100 and snow storm would be a 1.
Bug in and bug out are yes, no, and N/A. I have at least one line where I can I could bug in and I could bug out.
The Plan column is where you write out your general plan. If this happened what would I do?
The Gun column shows how many events I would use/need a gun for.
Then there are all the columns where you list the items (necessities and toys and skills) which you would like to get. Do you really need and Armored Personnel Carrier or would your money be better spent someplace else?

I try to work on the high possibility, high impact items first. I also try to spend my money on items that solve multiple issues at the same time. I will admit to buying some fun items that don’t really fit the matrix. When I make those purchases, I don’t delude myself into believing that I am making a prep when I am buying a fun item.

This isn't hard to make. This isn't hard to use. If you want a starter version for you to modify, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a basic excel spreadsheet. If you find this information useful, ask your friends, boss, HR... if their companies need an IT Auditor, IT Security, SOX, Risk Manager. I am looking for a good company to work for.

Audacia77
04-03-09, 16:16
Darn. I've done risk assessments for years and it didn't even dawn on me to apply it here. :eek:

Great thinking and thanks for the insight!

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-04-09, 00:50
Since Risks are external and common, and resources are commonly obtainable (outside of skills), are there public threat matrices available, say per geographic area? Not so much a problem coming up with threats, but it would be interesting to know what experts say is the probability of certian events.

Did you inform your dates in High School about the threats of VD, teenage pregnancy, teenage drivers and underaged drinking?

Of course, you forget the column "Obtainable if I had a gun when SHTF." ;)