PDA

View Full Version : Good things that you hear at the range...

MarshallDodge
04-03-09, 17:38
I was walking into the local indoor range last night and a family was walking out. The youngest boy, about seven years old, turns to his dad who was holding a 22 rifle and asked "Dad, when can we go shooting again?"

It made my evening.

I remember the first time I got to go shooting. We were on a family vacation out on grandpa's property in North Carolina and my dad pulled a Winchester 69A out of the back of the family station wagon. I was hooked on the first squeeze of the trigger. :cool:

5pins
04-03-09, 20:06
My son is six and a half. I think it will be time this summer.

1SFG
04-03-09, 20:22
I'm thinking 6th bday for my boy as well. Now in turns of dumb things I've heard at the range - overheard a NRA instructor telling a shooter that there's no point shooting more than 200 rounds in a range session. Apparently that's the magic mark where most shooters get smoked and start seeing diminished returns...at that point I had 500 rounds down range.

HES
04-03-09, 20:52
Great story. I'll be taking my kids (10-3/4 G and 9 B) shooting tomorrow. They each have their own rifles, Crickets (Pepto Bismol pink for my middle daughter).

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-03-09, 23:39
Was at an indoor rifle range today doing some quick sighting in and I didn't realize the guy in the next shooting position was having a hard time getting his c-more red-dot sighted in on his DPMS. The range employee came in, listened to the guys problem, sat down, fiddled with the scope, sent some rounds downrange. He had moved the red-dot to the irons, which were right on, and voila his red dot was sighted in.

Lots of bad stories about gun shop owners, thought might add one that where they made some guys day.

lindertw
04-04-09, 14:43
A few weeks back I'm at the range with my 7yo daughter, and three college-aged guys occupy the empty lane next to us. My daughter is plugging away with her Ruger 22/45 seated from rest, eating up the center of a 3x5 card while they are unpacking their gear and getting ready to shoot.

CG1: dude, check out that little kid... she's doing pretty good
CG2: baaah! it's just a .22, and she's sitting & shooting from a rest
CG3: whatever CG2, it's still cool

I had a chuckle, and my daughter was in the zone and didn't hear a thing. After a few mins she wants to take a break so we head to the lobby and I have a seat while she scopes out what soda is in the vending machine. Break time is over and we head back to the line.

Back on the line she wants to practice offhand shooting, so while she's loading mags I put up a sheet of paper with an 8" circle on it and run it out to seven yards. Four magazines worth down range, and ~three shots outside of the 8" circle (but still on the paper).

CG1 to CG2 (who is now shooting): hey, uh... she's not shooting from rest anymore, you watching this?
no comment from CG2 as he blasts away at his extra large (2'x3') silhouette target
CG2 runs his target back to look at his progress

CG1: dude, looks like you hit that with a shotgun
CG3: you just got owned by a little girl, you should probably just pack up. you can load mags for us if you want.

Again, my daughter was oblivious and didn't hear a thing, but they had me laughing :D

MarshallDodge
04-04-09, 17:18
A few weeks back I'm at the range with my 7yo daughter.....
Great story! :cool:

Spade
04-04-09, 17:32
thanks for sharing