PDA

View Full Version : anybody build a scout?

mattjmcd
04-03-09, 19:42
If you wanted a rifle as close to Cooper's vision as possible, would you build one up or just fork over for the Steyr?

Around here, a Scout runs over $2k. While they are slick rifles, I am not sure I need all that they offer.

I am not a fan of lever guns, so a lever-based scout is not in the cards. I think it'd be somewhat impractical anyway since I live out West, and almost anywhere I'd shoot has fairly long shots. Game would be hogs and deer. (note- this is a hypothetical, since I am in the "mental exercise" phase and have not hunted in years)

Anyway, for those out there who like the concept, how did you build your scout rifle and to what sort of specs?

SoDak
04-03-09, 21:40
I went with a savage scout after they released it a few years back. Sadly I haven't shot it much and have only used the irons, which I don't care for. I have an aimpoint 9000sc that I've thought about putting on there, but the 4 moa dot doesn't seem like the best choice. I haven't really looked into an extended eye releif scope, but I plan to one of these days. Otherwise I do like the handling of the savage and I think it is a decent rifle, although I would recomend getting an endorsement from others first since I haven't used mine much. The only gripe I have about the gun is how you insert the magazine. You catch the mag in the back and rock it forward, the exact oposite of most rifles I use. It's little more than a minor annoyance though.

Thomas M-4
04-03-09, 22:02
Have you checked out http://www.grizzlycustom.com/packages/scout/
very nice but pricey

wlptpd3
04-04-09, 07:36
I did this several years ago, purchased a used Mauser 98 for the action. I had it rebarrelled to .308 and the barrel length cut to 18", I used the Ashley forward mount scope mount and for optics I am using a Burris 2 3/4 scout scope, all mounted in steel scope rings. I am using a Timney trigger and the action was epoxy bedded into a Ramline synthetic stock, On a good day and with Federal match ammo this rifle will make dime size groups all day at 100 yards, My buddy had the same rifle built and I know he uses it during deer season almost every year.

It is a short and fairly powerful package and I dont really have alot tied up in building it, maybe an option for you ?

Todd.K
04-04-09, 12:31
The "vision" is not so good when the sun is low behind you.

I would start with a youth rifle of your choice or cut the barrel down on a 24", then add a low power variable at the normal location. Saves the cost of the special mount and a 1x4 is faster on 1x and more precise at 4x.

mattjmcd
04-08-09, 10:49
The "vision" is not so good when the sun is low behind you.

I would start with a youth rifle of your choice or cut the barrel down on a 24", then add a low power variable at the normal location. Saves the cost of the special mount and a 1x4 is faster on 1x and more precise at 4x.

Thanks for the input. I did this sort of build before and I actually DID like it a lot. I did it in lieu of a "scout" build mainly because of the lack of purpose-built gear and the relative high cost of custom stuff.

Here's a question for the peanut gallery re: optics choice. If I were to mount a scope in the normal place above the action (using a compact low-power variable like the Trij Accupoint, most likely) would I get a fast and usable sight picture at 1x? Is the BAC still in play..? I've shot with magnified optics before, but only with conventional choices where the low power setting is 3x. Also, with an Accupoint or Burris XTR, is eye relief going to be a problem at low power?

The only other issue I have (sort of...) with a conventional scope mount is the interference with reloading in those rifles without detachable magazines. IMO, that is a minor concern, but it's on my mind. Maybe just make a point of getting a base rifle with a detachable box in the first place..?

mattjmcd
04-08-09, 10:50
Have you checked out http://www.grizzlycustom.com/packages/scout/
very nice but pricey

Yes, they are!:D Neat guns though.