PDA

View Full Version : TAG/Tactical Assault Gear

Hoplophile
12-28-06, 21:34
Not sure if mine is an older model of the belt but it only has MOLLE webbing.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/kifaru1971/DSC00425.jpg

Look closer. Under the bottom row of PALS webbing in this pic there is a 2" wide nylon strap. If you have something that size that you want to attach you can feed it behind that piece of nylon and in front of the top piece of webbing.

99superduty
12-28-06, 21:39
That is the only place on the belt that the MOLLE webbing is more than 1 inch apart. So unless the item is 1 inch wide.....
Thats why the holster is wrapped around the entire belt.

Hoplophile
12-28-06, 21:41
Excellent info guys.

Is the belt one piece run through the pad/webbing "tube" or are they separate ends stitched into each end of the body?
I'd have to grab a stitch puller to say for sure because of the design of the pockets to hold the ends of the belts. You can't see the rear end of the webbing to see what the end is like.

LOKNLOD
12-28-06, 23:24
I'd have to grab a stitch puller to say for sure because of the design of the pockets to hold the ends of the belts. You can't see the rear end of the webbing to see what the end is like.

No need to go that far. I was just wondering if it was constructed as such that you could remove some stitching on the bottom and run a drop leg strap up under the webbing directly off the belt. If I can find them in stock someplace I might just order one and see if it looks like it's worth messing with.

99superduty
12-29-06, 00:02
That webbing is pretty flimsy, i dont think it would hold a drop leg very well.

WillC
12-29-06, 12:25
Chris Osman was a SEAL, and before that he was a Marine....

TAG supplies a lot of stuff to the Military, as that is where their priority is, so the backorders may just be because of that.

Everything I have from TAG or have seen is very nice, I would say a noch above Blackhawk quality.

Will

Dave L.
12-29-06, 16:28
Chris Osman was a SEAL, and before that he was a Marine....

TAG supplies a lot of stuff to the Military, as that is where their priority is, so the backorders may just be because of that.

Everything I have from TAG or have seen is very nice, I would say a noch above Blackhawk quality.

Will

But can you remember if TAG is made in USA? I don't own anything from tag...they didn't have much when I was in the neighborhood.

MASP7
12-29-06, 20:33
From the TAG website-

"At T.A.G., our gear is built in America, by Americans. We don't subsidize to the generals who tortured our fathers in Vietnam, or the communists who deny freedom in China. We don't believe in shipping the jobs of Americans to slave labor camps in Asia just to make ourselves richer. Equipping our Armies while enriching our enemies is not what patriotism is about! We are proud to be supplying the Soldiers of Freedom, equipping the Armies of Liberty and supporting the Heroes in our Armed Services and Law Enforcement Agencies across America!"

militarymoron
12-29-06, 23:10
But can you remember if TAG is made in USA? I don't own anything from tag...they didn't have much when I was in the neighborhood.

as far as i know, it's made in the USA. i visited their manufacturing facility (not the store in imperial beach) in san diego as chris was setting it up - about two and a half years ago. people were sitting at sewing machines making the stuff.

Dave L.
12-30-06, 06:30
From the TAG website-

"At T.A.G., our gear is built in America, by Americans. We don't subsidize to the generals who tortured our fathers in Vietnam, or the communists who deny freedom in China. We don't believe in shipping the jobs of Americans to slave labor camps in Asia just to make ourselves richer. Equipping our Armies while enriching our enemies is not what patriotism is about! We are proud to be supplying the Soldiers of Freedom, equipping the Armies of Liberty and supporting the Heroes in our Armed Services and Law Enforcement Agencies across America!"

I can respect that quote however, his stores were primarily filled with 90% Blackhawk (in the nylon department) when that company started. Its always easy to shout USA USA USA but he got his start by selling VietHawk in the first place...Chris is a nice guy though...And And, It was all us Marines & Sailors buying a little BH here and there.

99superduty
12-30-06, 11:20
The oceanside store didnt have any blackhawk stuff as of about 3 weeks ago.

It was packed with TAG gear and other stuff like SF/UA and trash of that nature.

If you are looking for something in particular, call the store. If they have it in stock they will ship it to you. One of the ladies was doing some shopping for a customer on the phone while i was there.

nyeti
12-31-06, 02:25
I wouldn't give a dime to them, and I'll just leave it at that.

MASP7
12-31-06, 11:12
I can respect that quote however, his stores were primarily filled with 90% Blackhawk (in the nylon department) when that company started. Its always easy to shout USA USA USA but he got his start by selling VietHawk in the first place...Chris is a nice guy though...And And, It was all us Marines & Sailors buying a little BH here and there.

What time frame was this? Pre or post offshore mfg?

I still have some BH stuff made in Korea that got shipped to me before I knew BH was manufacturing their. I still have it, but I won't buy more.
Korean gear is better that Viet gear, but I'd rather have US gear and I'll pay more for it. (Not that you usually have to.)

If the guy was making a living on BH, and then they moved there production offshore, was he supposed to close his store? (if this is the case)

I wouldn't give a dime to them, and I'll just leave it at that.

nyeti- I know you're the moderator, but it doesn't add much to the conversation to make a blanket statement like that without any supportive facts.

I don't know Chris, but I like the TAG gear I have. I would like to have more, If he'd only be able to ship it out.
The worst thing I can say about the guy is he can't deliver product to meet demand.

nyeti
12-31-06, 16:16
I don't want to add a bunch of drama that has nothing to do with this forum. I have some very personal issues with how the owner has conducted himself in the past. I think you'll find alot of Eagle, CSM, HSGI and a couple others carried by most of the instructors here, and a real lack of BHI and TAG.

Dave L.
12-31-06, 18:13
What time frame was this? Pre or post offshore mfg?

I still have some BH stuff made in Korea that got shipped to me before I knew BH was manufacturing their. I still have it, but I won't buy more.
Korean gear is better that Viet gear, but I'd rather have US gear and I'll pay more for it. (Not that you usually have to.)

If the guy was making a living on BH, and then they moved there production offshore, was he supposed to close his store? (if this is the case)

nyeti- I know you're the moderator, but it doesn't add much to the conversation to make a blanket statement like that without any supportive facts.

I don't know Chris, but I like the TAG gear I have. I would like to have more, If he'd only be able to ship it out.
The worst thing I can say about the guy is he can't deliver product to meet demand.

The time frame was between April 2003- May 2004 when I would frequent his store(s) at least 3 times a month. I remember when the only thing they made was riggers belts(rescue type), note pad covers, and Nalgene pouches (and at the end of my california "stay" he was making some chest rigs)...Every thing else in the store (as far as nylon) was BH .

And No he was not supposed to shut down the store(just because it was made over-seas)- but now that his company shouts from the Mountain Tops about their American Made Gear is kind of like selling drugs to start a childrens orphanage- thats what I mean-

MASP7
12-31-06, 20:00
but now that his company shouts from the Mountain Tops about their American Made Gear is kind of like selling drugs to start a childrens orphanage- thats what I mean-

Not that disagree with him on the US made gear, but it's obvious he's taking a shot at BH. All you have to do is look at TAG's catalog to see that it is very BH-esque.

nyeti- I appreciate you not wanting to add unneeded drama, but again, you did bring this issue up. If there are relevant issues, I'd be interested in hearing them.
Having said that, I understand you not wanting to bring them up in a public forum.

xpd54
01-02-07, 19:54
I've got a TAG plate carrier and some other TAG stuff. It's good stuff. I've got mine from Optactical and a place called "The Malabar Front" (I have no idea what that means, btw). I get from OP on line and TMF at the local gun shows. They both seem to be pretty good sized dealers for TAG stuff. When I ordered my PC from OP, they didn't have it in stock and had to order it from the factory. It took less than 2 weeks to get it to me.

I've got gear from just about every non custom maker and some custom makers and TAGs quality is probably in the top 1/3 of the gear makers that my collection represents.

MASP7
01-02-07, 20:57
I've got mine from Optactical and a place called "The Malabar Front" (I have no idea what that means, btw).

"The Malabar Front" is a thinly veiled reference to the George Orwell book 1984. "Remember our boys on the Malabar front!"

The Malabar region is along the southwest coast of the Indian peninsula.

Good guys to deal with too...

Impact
01-07-07, 00:04
I've got some of their MOLLE gear" top notch and all made in USA.

For me same tier than Eagle.

ISHOT
01-12-07, 20:59
Guys, if I may.......

Chris did start off by selling BHI before launching TAG. As MM noted above, they do cut and sew their own stuff on site. The reason why their catalog (at least the 2006) one looks like BHI is probably becos' they share the same graphics guy. At least that's what I think it was.

Anyway, enough about company stuff so let's talk about their gear. I don't advertise any of this but we do a good amount of business hawking gear to certain agencies. One such agency buys several different brands from us but the bulk of their purchase is TAG. After having supplied that much gear, I have yet to see one returned for any reason and the agency appears to be moving forward with more of them this year.

From a vendor's perspective, they are a very good company to work with; great communications, QC and timely. They take pride in the stuff they put out.

M4Guru
01-13-07, 10:22
I'v had some bad TAG mag pouches that were cut way too tight to fit M14 mags into as advertised.

The owner (Chris) contacted me himself and offered to replace them. That's pretty good customer service to me. A lot of guys don't like TAG because of the dude that runs the company being an asshole or whatever, which is fine. As far as their gear it is pretty well made. I wouldn't be scrambling to buy new stuff if I had TAG gear.

LOKNLOD
01-13-07, 10:40
Thanks everyone for your input.

For whatever it's worth, I ended up getting what I needed from Eagle. But I'd probably buy a TAG product in the future if I found something I needed.

tb six
01-13-07, 13:35
Chris and his wife have always shown me nothing but superb customer service, I've deployed TAG gear items for the last 3-4 years(got some of their original stuff) and it has held up as good if not better than Eagle,SOE, TT, etc. These guys are GTG IMO.