PDA

View Full Version : Shot in Army training

larry0071
04-04-09, 11:59
Many times you hear folks say that only LEO/soldiers should have firearms. Well, my brother in law's best pal S Baker is stationed in California doing some desert living training to get prepared to go over to the sand box... and while doing a marching excersize... the idiot behind him shot him. This is in the military, in a long running training situation... being shot by his pal behind him. He texted this to my bro-in-law a couple days ago. I had to LOL over this inside.... because so many anti's feel that I should not be trusted with a pistol or rifle, and only LEO and military have the expert training to safely handle such devises.

jtb0311
04-04-09, 13:46
Did the guy really get shot? Or did the fellow behind him have an ND with blanks?

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-04-09, 13:48
I have seen 4 experts blow them selves away its not funny. People just dont ****ing think the ones that didnt grow up around gus are the worst!

larry0071
04-04-09, 15:26
What I was told was from my brother in law, what he got was in text from the man in California doing his training for his very soon to be flight to the sandbox. I was told that he was shot, but it was a flesh wound only. No bone or organ damage. I was told that they are living in a California desert to get themselves prepared for what is about to come over yonder.

I don't think it was funny or a joke. But I do not have a way to get more information easily.

I was trying to point out that accidents can happen even to the professional military soldiers.... we civilians are aften pointed at as a danger to ourselves and a danger to others..... No one, LEO, soldier, citizen.... no one is immuned to accidents.

At work, we have this safety/human performance thing that is set up like a triangle. It works something like this.... Every 1000 near misses, there is actual minor accident. Every 100 minor accidents there is a major accident. Every 10 major accidents there is a death.

Something like that can be applied to everything. This is why there will always be accidents and injuries.

DocHolliday01
04-04-09, 16:56
Many times you hear folks say that only LEO/soldiers should have firearms. Well, my brother in law's best pal S Baker is stationed in California doing some desert living training to get prepared to go over to the sand box... and while doing a marching excersize... the idiot behind him shot him. This is in the military, in a long running training situation... being shot by his pal behind him. He texted this to my bro-in-law a couple days ago. I had to LOL over this inside.... because so many anti's feel that I should not be trusted with a pistol or rifle, and only LEO and military have the expert training to safely handle such devises.

What I was told was from my brother in law, what he got was in text from the man in California doing his training for his very soon to be flight to the sandbox. I was told that he was shot, but it was a flesh wound only. No bone or organ damage. I was told that they are living in a California desert to get themselves prepared for what is about to come over yonder.

I don't think it was funny or a joke. But I do not have a way to get more information easily.

I was trying to point out that accidents can happen even to the professional military soldiers.... we civilians are aften pointed at as a danger to ourselves and a danger to others..... No one, LEO, soldier, citizen.... no one is immuned to accidents.

At work, we have this safety/human performance thing that is set up like a triangle. It works something like this.... Every 1000 near misses, there is actual minor accident. Every 100 minor accidents there is a major accident. Every 10 major accidents there is a death.

Something like that can be applied to everything. This is why there will always be accidents and injuries.

So first you say you laughed on the inside about it, but then say that you didn't think it was funny? Which one is it? :rolleyes: Personally I don't think its funny that some dumbass can't handle a gun well enough to not shoot the guy in front of him in the back.

Shotdown
04-04-09, 21:03
There are some military guys that can't do their jobs right. I sure as hell would not trust them with a gun. I would send the top notch guys through training before even giving them a gun too.

murphy j
04-04-09, 21:32
So first you say you laughed on the inside about it, but then say that you didn't think it was funny? Which one is it? :rolleyes: Personally I don't think its funny that some dumbass can't handle a gun well enough to not shoot the guy in front of him in the back.

If I understood it correctly, he wasn't laughing about the incident, but the irony of it as it applies to some of the anti-gunner logic.
This guy isn't the only one who is a potential friendly fire incident. I was almost the victim of one on my deployment thanks to a trigger happy E-5 gunner on the truck in front of me. He shot his own antennas off and came close to shooting the truck I was gunning on, but thanks to my driver being sharp and alert, we were able to avoid the spray of bullets.

Littlelebowski
04-04-09, 21:43
If I understood it correctly, he wasn't laughing about the incident, but the irony of it as it applies to some of the anti-gunner logic.
This guy isn't the only one who is a potential friendly fire incident. I was almost the victim of one on my deployment thanks to a trigger happy E-5 gunner on the truck in front of me. He shot his own antennas off and came close to shooting the truck I was gunning on, but thanks to my driver being sharp and alert, we were able to avoid the spray of bullets.

That's pretty good shooting, hitting antennas and all. What service is this that can't train an E5 properly?

Kchen986
04-04-09, 23:52
Many years ago, when I was in Marine JROTC, there was an incident, reported in some Marine magazine where soldier stepped in front of the SAW gunner, took a couple in the thigh and died.

Happens.

Probably harder to maintain range safety in a 360 degree range.

bkb0000
04-05-09, 00:36
either while i was at, or shortly before i got to benning, somebody over at 3rd ID got bit by another dude who somehow loaded a mag full of live rounds while running MILES. first shot popped off the blank adapter, second hit COM and killed the poor sunnabitch.

ETA: actually, as i recall, there were a rash of weird ass AD/ND situations right around that time. i dont remember where, maybe benning or somewhere else- but somebody pulled guard at the 4 or at an airstrip or something, and when his relief showed up, relief commented that guard's weapon was hot. guard says, "it's not chambered," dropped the muzzle at relief and squeezed the trig- shot relief in the throat, DRT. i'll have to search the memory banks for the other incidents and ETA again.

shit does, indeed, happen.

sandman99and9
04-05-09, 00:47
either while i was at, or shortly before i got to benning, somebody over at 3rd ID got bit by another dude who somehow loaded a mag full of live rounds while running MILES. first shot popped off the blank adapter, second hit COM and killed the poor sunnabitch.

ETA: actually, as i recall, there were a rash of weird ass AD/ND situations right around that time. i dont remember where, maybe benning or somewhere else- but somebody pulled guard at the 4 or at an airstrip or something, and when his relief showed up, relief commented that guard's weapon was hot. guard says, "it's not chambered," dropped the muzzle at relief and squeezed the trig- shot relief in the throat, DRT. i'll have to search the memory banks for the other incidents and ETA again.

shit does, indeed, happen.

Wow, when was this? I was at benning in 94 and some kid shot himself but if I remember correctly he was att. a suicide. We had a guy in our platoon who had 2 ad's in 2 days at the range!! We took his firing pin and hid it from him for a joke. Needless to say he got a lot of up close and personal attention from our platoon sgt !!!

s.m.

murphy j
04-05-09, 06:43
That's pretty good shooting, hitting antennas and all. What service is this that can't train an E5 properly?

As much as I hate to say it, it was my beloved Army. This guy was an IRR that had volunteered to come off inactive status for a 3rd deployment. When he came to us he was an E-4, but he had time in service to be an E-5 and because he was IRR he couldn't be denied the rank without a stellar reason and got promoted. He was one of those guys that you wanted to like on a personal level, but was a shitbag with how he treated his guys. Our NCOs tried:rolleyes: to correct it in house, but eventually there was a potential major international incident and the backlash was that Gen. Petraeus instructed that he needed to leave theater.

seb5
04-05-09, 09:10
In my neck of the woods there are some pretty high speed guys that train on a regular rotation. There have been several cases of members getting shot over the years. Of the 3 cases I 'm somewhat familiar with none were ND's.

96GTS
04-05-09, 14:25
Wow, when was this? I was at benning in 94 and some kid shot himself but if I remember correctly he was att. a suicide. We had a guy in our platoon who had 2 ad's in 2 days at the range!! We took his firing pin and hid it from for a joke. Needless to say he got a lot of up close and personal attention from our platoon sgt !!!

s.m.
That's actually pretty funny!! We had a female in my academy that ND her sidearm twice and swept all of us w/ a 12ga (loaded, safety off):eek:

Wish I would've thought of altering her gun LOL:p