PDA

View Full Version : Maxpedition Versipack Review

kaltblitz
04-04-09, 14:13
Okay, so no I’m not a “murse” type of guy. I’m also not very “metro-sexual.” Most of my clothing is North Face, Alpinestars or has some kind of SF Giants logo on it (yeah, I’m a die hard Giants fan). I also don’t sport a police-issue mustache and a flat top so I don’t consider fanny packs as mode of carry. I don’t like Mil-Spec monkey patches and I never wear anything that screams “Gun!” “Tactical” or “I’m a cop” unless I’m at the range. So when I first saw the Maxpedition Versipack I chalked it up as another trendy new tacti-item that I wasn’t interested in.

I used to carry my Sigs, either a 226 or 228, as my off-duty guns. Because my summer mode of dress is usually a t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip-flops I couldn’t always get away with hiding one of these so I would just forgo carrying a gun and throw an Emerson knife in my pocket (yeah, I was that dumb).

Then I discovered the S&W J-frame and 24/7 carry became a reality for me. Now I was always armed no matter what. As my career continued I discovered some folks really didn’t’ like me...I mean downright hated me. I had an off-duty encounter with a guy I had previously arrested that was now armed with another cop’s stolen Glock 22 last June that put a lot of things in perspective for me. I made the decision then that I would never be without a fullsize handgun close at hand….and I mean never!

The Clint Smith quote that “Guns are not supposed to be comfortable they are supposed to be comforting” is great. Unfortunately the reality for many of us is that we are only willing to go so far to fulfill this. I own and have owned lots of great holsters including rigs made by Alessi, Milt Sparks, Tauris, Haugen and many others. I also own lots of different guns, but sometimes I just find it hard to carry the amount of crap that I want to have with me. Add to that a back that’s been in several car and motorcycle crashes and a sciatic nerve that wears a duty belt over 40 hours a week and you soon start to realize that 24/7 carry of a fullsize gun can literally be a pain.

So how do I carry a M&P or Glock, an extra mag, a badge, a folding knife and a Surefire flashlight around with me? How do I do this and still dress the way I would like and be comfortable? How do I do this without sporting the “I’m a cop” funky looking fanny pack? I recently found the answer.

This last Christmas I got an OD green Maxpedition Versipack as a gift. What? Carry a man-purse? NEVER. It sat for the last couple months with my other rarely used gun stuff in the closet.

Well a few weeks ago when I was tired and my back was killing me I decided to give it a try. What the hell? NOW I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING! Why didn’t I try this sooner! It doesn’t offend my manliness too much to wear it and it is very comfortable. I can carry all my crap and it doesn’t hurt my back and make it hard to sit for long periods of time.

I apologize for the pics being low res, but they were taken with my iPhone. I’ll let the pictures tell the story:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/KevH/maxpeditionbag1.jpg

I see a lot of guys carrying messenger bags in my area lately. For whatever reason this rig really doesn’t scream “gun” to me the way a fanny pack does. Add to the fact that I’m in California where most folks don’t CCW any way and I think I just look like another guy carrying a bag around. I can carry it all day and I honestly don’t feel like a “girly-man.”

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/KevH/maxpeditionbag4.jpg

Here is the bag full of stuff with it removed from my shoulder. This is not the “Jumbo” version and I’m glad. This is just the right size.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/KevH/maxpeditionbag3.jpg

The back of the bag and shoulder strap have this nice mesh webbing that lets your skin breath. A nice touch in my opinion that only adds to the comfort.

Also, notice the belt loop. You can anchor the bag to your belt if you feel you need more security. It does work just fine though looped over your shoulder.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/KevH/maxpeditionbag2.jpg

Here’s what I got inside:

My issue M&P 40 in the main compartment in my Looper IWB rig. The rig doesn’t come with a holster and you have to buy it separately for around $12. I’ll probably get one soon, but this works fine for right now. The compartment is lined with Velcro which is how a holster would attach. With some practice I’ve actually gotten to be fairly fast at drawing the gun and reholstering it. Yes, a 5” Government can fit in the pouch, but it will be slow drawing it. I think a M&P/G17 size gun is the biggest you can go for this rig that is practical and I think a G19/228 size gun would be perfect.

I have a spare M&P mag in the little side pocket. Just unbuckle and an extra 15 rounds of 40 S&W Federal Hydra-Shok await me.

My old trusty Surefire Z2 I carried for years on duty, recently replaced by a Fenix TK11, rides in another exterior pocket.

Yes, I carry a flat-badge in my wallet, but having a fullsize badge I can clip to my belt or my neck is very comforting should I actually get in a shooting off-duty. The last thing in the world I want to have happen is for me to shoot a guy and then to get shot by my fellow officers responding to the scene. My uniform badge rides in an exterior zipper pouch.

Remember that Emerson CQC I talked about? It’s clipped right inside.

The bottom line is this bag can hold a lot of stuff. I only carry a few things that I feel I need. I don’t want it to be a boat anchor full of stuff so I limit what I put in it. The bag is very comfy to carry all day. I wear my gun on my 3 o’clock just like I would a regular holster, so the same retention techniques still apply.

Is this the ideal mode of carry? Probably not. I still prefer to carry a gun in a holster close to my body, but the bag will work for when my back hurts or I just those times carrying a fullsize gun in an IWB just won’t work or I want to have a bunch of other stuff with me.

So Clint I think you can have it both ways. Comforting and comfortable.

I highly recommend this product if you couldn’t already tell.

CJFirefly
04-04-09, 15:45
I have the jumbo version of that same bag and like it a lot. Mine has the Maxpedition universal holster velcroed in there as well as 2 mag pouches and it is a pretty slick set up for being a murse.

Nice Tacoma, if that is yours.

Cruncher Block
04-04-09, 15:49
That in no way looks effeminate. There's more than enough olive drab, nylon, d-rings, and clips on in to counter any metrosexuality.

Now, I'll be honest, if I saw someone walk in to the restaurant with it, it would say "concealed handgun" to me just like a fanny pack... especially if that person never took it off and kept it "guarded" under his right arm.

But, unlike a fanny pack, at least it wouldn't say "dork". :)

trio
04-04-09, 16:10
i carry the big one of those occasionally too...i call it my "tacticool diaper bag"

my primary profession is "stay at home dad" and when my youngest was still a baby the thing was great...i could carry juice, snacks, diapers, wipes, pacifiers, my CCW, knife, wallet, cell, etc etc and still go about happily in my uniform of the day (gym shorts, flip flops, and a T shirt)

it will still be my primary method of carry in the summer when I am feeling the gym short groove

something I would recommend is a 5.11 accessory pack....5.11 put out a bag with a bunch of different accessories that can be velcroed in their shirts and coats....among them is an honest to God holster....I put that in my pack over the "strap" maxpedition makes....I found it to have much better retention and it presents the weapon much better for draws....

thats my other recommendation....go and train with it...I do holster draws, etc with mine the same as I do out of a belt holster.....

ST911
04-04-09, 19:24
I have and use some bags like this. I've found them best as contingency and support gear for spares, not primary fighting tools. Concealment is deep, the holsters within vary in utility, presentation is slow, and that presentation may require two hands.

They have great utility, but if you're using them, keep a gun on your body where it belongs. Compact Glocks, Sigs, et al are easy in all weather conditions if you're dedicated.

The Maxpedition stuff is also found in non-mil colors as well, such as their foliage orange and slate blue/gray combination. Very handy. Nonetheless, these bags are quick and easy to ID by design.

Distracting the observer with a sports or camera patch, a baby bottle, or other common accessory is a good idea.

Good review, thanks for posting.

kaltblitz
04-05-09, 12:26
Nice Tacoma, if that is yours.

Not a Tacoma...it's a GMC Sierra with a locking billet gas cap. :cool:

CJFirefly
04-05-09, 16:30
Not a Tacoma...it's a GMC Sierra with a locking billet gas cap. :cool:

Damn, I suck.

Irish
05-01-09, 18:32
Nice review & photos. Looks really promising. Thanks!

dialM4murder
05-01-09, 23:55
Jumbo Versipack. Sig SP2022 9MM.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/811/0000094gz9.jpg

LegalAlien
05-02-09, 12:37
I carry the black Fatboy Versipak everyday. It holds:-
1. FN 5.7
2. 2x extra mags in the mag pouch
3. Surefire 6P Led
4. Swiss army folder inherited from my dad
5. glasses
6. wallet
7. check book
8. keys
9. NRA membership card
10 More credit cards
11 Health insurance card
12 Calculator
13 Pen
14 Cellphone

To make a complete purse, all I would need . . . . tissues . . . . spare change . . . . stacks of old receipts . . . NOTTT!!!:rolleyes:

It is very handy, holds plenty of STUFF and in black many people think it is a camera bag. In fact, I have also stuffed a small digital camera in there on occasion.

The full size FN5.7 or Beretta 92FS fits snugly in the carry slot and the zipper barely closes over the butt, provided the gun is angled correctly. My Beretta PX4 fits comfortably.

Any 4.9" or longer bbl full size gun is a squeeze, but come down to any other gun with a 4" bbl and it is a no-brainer.

scrtsqurlmk29
05-03-09, 00:42
have the jumbo , it is mostly used as a grab bag, walks with the wife and a house bag. contents are a g27. two spare 15rd mags, flashlight,small first aid kit and a waterbottle. this items stay in the bag at all times, miscellaneous items are taken in and out of the bag all the time .

kaiservontexas
05-03-09, 01:21
I pack a Jumbo with a FR-1 pouch attached to the side. FR-1 is my FAK. I used to use the Jumbo for EDC, but now it does GHB duty. I use my Targus laptop carrying backpack for EDC. The Jumbo has withstood well over a year of abuse. I think about purchasing another one post-graduation.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/crusaderwyn/Gear/FR-112.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/crusaderwyn/Gear/FR-113.jpg

airwayguru
05-05-09, 19:29
I carry the Versipak Fatboy S-Type Pack. I use as my everyday carry bag as a First Responder Bag. I have the following int he bag:

21" ASP w/5.11 ASP Holder (Everyday)
Springfield XD .40 (Hikes/Camping/Security Detail)
Spare Magazine
Notepad
Pen
Marker
4"ETD Dressing (2)
4X4 Gauze Pads (5)
5X9 Gauze Pads (2)
2" Silk Tape
30F NPA
Bandaids
Exam Gloves
Emergency Blanket
Surefire Flashlight
Ear Plugs
Gerber Suspension Tool
Hand Sanitizer

Irish
05-06-09, 10:13
Jumbo Versipack. Sig SP2022 9MM.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/811/0000094gz9.jpg

I hadn't seen the magazine holster/retainer before. How well does it work for you and doing reloads? Are you using your primary shooting hand for reloads from this side?

Stay safe.

gjj
05-06-09, 21:26
I have a question about the Fatboy pack. If you wanted to use it as a fighting bag to support an M1 Garand, how many enbloc clips do you think the main pouch would hold?