PDA

View Full Version : TOM PERRONI'S TACTICAL CARBINE COURSE

ateixeira
04-04-09, 17:09
TOM PERRONI'S TACTICAL CARBINE COURSE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perroni’s Tactical Training Academy offers a 1 day action packed TACTICAL CARBINE COURSE for $150.00!!!!

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/academy.htm
A few friends and I took this course on 3-21-09. This is my AAR (after action report):

Class started promptly at 0900 in a very professional and well organized space. There where a mixed bag of attendees ranging from armature “sport” shooters to ex-law enforcement officers and experienced “operators”. There where two additional instructors for the 12 students and all of the staff are well seasoned professionals with decades of experience in firearms training and operations in high threat environments. Not to mention a friendly bunch.
The class room segment covered everything from description and characteristics of the rifle, disassembly, assembly, care, cleaning and proper lubrication, ammo, accessories, sights, function of the action (through the use of a very cool layered animated PowerPoint presentation that beat the crap out of the old four times the size of the M16 plastic training aid that some of us saw in basic). Also covered where the fundamentals of marksmanship, stoppages and malfunctions, proper fighting stance, weapons handling, and above all safety. Some “know it alls” might think this was a waste of time, but I for one was very entertained by the dynamic way in which the material was presented and picked up a few things along the way. This portion of the class was very well presented, informative to the novice and served as a refresher for the rest. We broke for a 1hr lunch brake and regrouped for the “caravan” to the range.
The range is about 20 minutes from the academy for which maps where provided. A very helpful detail was that members of the staff brought up the rear of the caravan to assist in not leaving anyone behind. Upon arrival at the range we where treated to a wide open and secluded area of about 800+ acres to include a 17’x60’ + backstop, paper targets, an assortment of silhouette, paddle, and active targets all made of metal including a vehicle(functioning) and barrels for cover . We where extremely exited to say the least.

Once geared up, locked and loaded, it was shooting time!!! Tom and his cadre started out by making sure our rifles where zeroed in properly and assisted those whom needed some help in accomplishing this. Once zeroed we started moving back twenty yards at a time putting a few rounds on steel shooting offhand till we where at about 125 yards and you could still here that rewarding “ping” when you scored hits. From there things got very interesting with many active shooting drills including; engaging multiple targets at close range, transitioning from primary to secondary weapon (pistol), moving up to and shooting from barricades, support or weak side shooting, moving and shooting from one barricade to another, including using a vehicle as cover and shooting through the open windows, retreating drills while putting down cover fire with multiple shooters and communicating in the process.

Then Tom kicked it up another notch by having the class simulate an IED attack on a vehicle with a subsequent ambush that allowed the class to learn how to exit the vehicle, put down cover fire while exiting the threat area. Just when I thought things could not get any better. Tom asked if anyone had any special “requests”. He got a request from yours truly for an offensive group drill moving up on target while incorporating transitions from rifles to pistols. By this time the sun was setting and we got to do this while deploying our tactical lights. We got to see the steel targets flash with sparks! What a great ending to an awesome day. See pictures dated 3-22-09 here:

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/slideshow/

I’ll save the bar AAR for another time (I was very bad). Kudos to Tom Perroni and his staff for an outstanding day that ended close to 2000hrs!!! I’LL BE BACK!

Iraq Ninja
04-05-09, 04:43
Well, I never heard of Tom. I personally don't see why IED drills should be taught in a one day carbine class. There are more important things to work on in a one day course. BTW, your links don't work.

ateixeira
04-05-09, 07:05
Well, I never heard of Tom. I personally don't see why IED drills should be taught in a one day carbine class. There are more important things to work on in a one day course. BTW, your links don't work.

The links have been fixed! Thanks "NINJA". Let me know when your next course will be held and I'll be there:D

I usually take a course before I criticize it.

Tom Perroni moves the class along as he sees that the class is up to speed on the basics. The faster he and his instructors feel comfortable that all are operating at the level needed they take it up another notch. This makes for a very dynamic and action packed class. At "Other" courses you would have to be there 3 or 4 days and pay well over 2,000.00 to get the level of training Tom puts out in a 14hour day. TRY HIM OUT, THEN POST YOUR EXPERIENCE. You will be pleasantly surprised.

glock_forty5
04-05-09, 12:04

I have taken two of his one day courses and we did not do IED simulated drills in the first class and we did it as a walk through in the second. The skillset of the students dictates the pace of the class, if Tom is not comfortable pushing the class he dials it back (the chain is only as strong as the weakest link). The class that did the IED drill had several contractors and SWAT guys, BTDT type guys.

Here is a linkd to my AAR from training with Tom on the 29th of last month.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28936

I am curious to what you think should be covered in a one day.

C45P312
04-05-09, 13:43
first did old tom know most people in ied attack dont make it out of a vec alive much less able to shoot move and communicate,half the time the hummve is blown in half with your friends body parts everywere,.and has old tom seen a ied attack.
things like that irk me. people teaching things like that.
0311 marine with 2 tours.

Heavy Metal
04-05-09, 13:56
At "Other" courses you would have to be there 3 or 4 days and pay well over 2,000.00 to get the level of training Tom puts out in a 14hour day. TRY HIM OUT, THEN POST YOUR EXPERIENCE. You will be pleasantly surprised.

While I have no doubt Mr. Perroni is a very competent and accomplished instructor offering a very reasonably priced course,(If he wasn't, he would not have his own section at M4Carbine. You can be sure these people were vetted) depending on who offers the 'other' courses, you may or may not get more at multiples of the price and time. I might even take a course from him at some point. He is somewhat local to my AO.

Hell, there are some instructors out there in the wider world that likely send you home dumber and more fu**ed up than when you got there and charge a good bit more to do it!

It seems he has found a training niche and staked it out. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. We call it capitalism.

Still, sometimes, you pay more and stay longer and you get more. I have likely burned up a fortnight of the time of Mr. Larry Vickers and his associates and feel it was worth every second and every single cent. There is simply no comparison between my current skill level and my prior one, it has made a lightyear of difference.

I will admit I am an incrementalist. My philosophy is to beat the basics in with an iron rod and then be pushed outside of your comfort zone into new territory once the basics are fully ingraned. That what came before become a solid foundation before adding the next layer.

Just because one dedicated woman can make a baby in nine months, it does not follow that nine dedicated women can make a baby in one month.

C45P312
04-05-09, 14:48
just wondering what experence does tom have and were and when did he serve.

DCJS Instructor
04-05-09, 15:27
just wondering what experence does tom have and were and when did he serve.

I guess you post in a thread but dont read what is coverd.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=25783

DCJS Instructor
04-05-09, 15:34
first did old tom know most people in ied attack dont make it out of a vec alive much less able to shoot move and communicate,half the time the hummve is blown in half with your friends body parts everywere,.and has old tom seen a ied attack.
things like that irk me. people teaching things like that.
0311 marine with 2 tours.

I can't say I have ever been in a humve that was under any kind of attack.

Not military....Momba, Grizzly, Yes! Hummer NO!

P.S. It was a TACTICAL Carbine Class NOT an IED Class.

Tom

DCJS Instructor
04-05-09, 15:50

Iraq Ninja,

I can’t say if I know you or not since you don't post your name.

However you are welcome to come to any Firearms training we have going on free of charge. All I ask in return is a fair AAR. (THE GOOD THE BAD, THE UGLY).

Have you looked at the entire course syllabus? 12 hours is a long day. I have been teaching as an I/C since 1986. I have never taught the same class the same way twice. A good Instructor will move the class as fast and safe as possible. My hope is that my Instructor staff is insuring that everyone leaves with more tools for their tactical tool box than they came with.

We have 800 acres with 500yards for Carbine. My hope is to give a solid Basics Class. However when some of the guys come up from Moyock and want to play I will bring the Subs out and let them play. As long as the student to Instructor Ration is 1-1 and I feel the students are safe.

When you are back CONUS, give me a call.

Tom (540) 322-3000

Iraq Ninja
04-05-09, 16:05
Tom,

Sounds like you were BW, so we probably crossed paths if you were in the IZ anytime from mid 2004 onwards. I work for a different company, but our client was based out of the embassy.

As I told the original poster via PM, I am suspicious of anyone who comes in here and has their first post as an AAR of someone I never heard of. I thought he was trying to spam the forum, but he explained the situation to me.

Sounds like you are good to go.

DCJS Instructor
04-05-09, 16:09
Tom,

Sounds like you were BW, so we probably crossed paths if you were in the IZ anytime from mid 2004 onwards. I work for a different company, but our client was based out of the embassy.

As I told the original poster via PM, I am suspicious of anyone who comes in here and has their first post as an AAR of someone I never heard of. I thought he was trying to spam the forum, but he explained the situation to me.

Sounds like you are good to go.

Bro,

No harm. I am in Fredericksburg, Va and just found out you were here in 04. Small world.

Stay Safe!

ateixeira
04-05-09, 17:04
Y'all are just hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Quit the hate and appreciate!!!

GaryG
04-05-09, 19:13
Yea, really.

I had to look up at the URL line to make sure I wasn't on TOS.

VooDoo6Actual
04-07-09, 11:09
Geez...Might as well draw down on each other...

30 cal slut
04-15-09, 06:55
OP - thanks for the AAR.

To Mr. Perroni ... one-day classes are just the ticket for time-crunched students coming from out of town.

If you have a chance to give some more advanced heads-up on upcoming classes, that would be very much appreciated! :)

-slut

DCJS Instructor
04-15-09, 07:49
Slut,

May 2, 2009

May 9, 2009

Course calander;

http://www.commonwealthcriminaljusticeacademy.com/cal-test.html

Tom

30 cal slut
04-15-09, 08:12
thanks!