PDA

View Full Version : Top Sniper Competition.

Gutshot John
04-05-09, 11:56
I find it fascinating and it certainly gives an appreciation of the importance of the spotter as opposed to the sniper himself.

The courses of fire are deviously clever and I always find competition and watching others in competition to be extremely informative.

I was also pleased to see Pittsburgh Police Department hanging tough. For all its flaws I do love this town and it was a pleasure to watch our PD's professionalism on prominent display. They also apparently got a lot out of it.

sinister
04-05-09, 12:06
Ideally BOTH team members are snipers. The experienced sniper is the spotter.

My instructors taught me that technically you can teach a monkey to shoot. Oversimplification, true -- both have to be equally talented.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-05-09, 12:11
Ya I loved it. I dont think there is any beating the 2 US Army marksminship unit guys though they get to practice togher all year long and that is there whole job to win.

I got to give props to the PD guys they hung strong even though they were not in good shape and they were real positive the whole time.

HighSpeedDreams
04-05-09, 12:15
Great Cameo Travis.

I would give a testicle to attend that comp.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-05-09, 14:46
Really intersting to watch. Too bad the Pitt. snipers weren't orbiting in a helo this weekend. Gotta love their attitude of just having fun in that stage. Seems like you could find a ridge line to drive a van along to practice firing from a helicopter. Use that crater national park to simulate orbiting.

I wish they'd put the rest of the Travis Najaf video footage on one of the MAGPUL video training sets. Travis is now passed Costa in my "badass" catageory, if they or anyone else cares.

I like the Danes "This base is bigger than the island we live on."

I like the distinction between "Send it" and "Fire".

Just when I had the .308 AR bug properly out of my head, four hours of big gun smackdown.

Can't wait for next year, hope it's 8 hours.

Coolest gear, great little tidbits.

chillindrdude
04-05-09, 15:42
i'd give a left nut just to have an 1000yd range near my house. :D

i felt that the sniper comp should have been limited to only issued guns. while the Tac-Mod stock was pretty cool, i would have liked to see them (the AMU) shoot the issued M24.

i was surprised that the Air Force team got zero hits in that Aerial shoot. In addition, it sounds like from the experts that a MOA gun is plenty accurate for military snipers...so whats up with this obssession on elaborate/expensive gunsmith work to make a sub-MOA gun? i would think the point of diminishing returns comes pretty quick.

citizensoldier16
04-05-09, 16:25
I like the Danes "This base is bigger than the island we live on."

+1 What a great comment! :D

It really was a great show. I liked the fact that I saw a lot of the manufacturers on there that support this website too. Good PR.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-05-09, 17:50
Ideally BOTH team members are snipers. The experienced sniper is the spotter.

My instructors taught me that technically you can teach a monkey to shoot. Oversimplification, true -- both have to be equally talented.

FireMatt100's avatar over on Brian Enos. I think this monkey was next to me at the range this week.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/av-6393.gif

sinister
04-05-09, 20:02
Ya I loved it. I dont think there is any beating the 2 US Army marksminship unit guys though they get to practice togher all year long and that is there whole job to win.

Jason Saint John is the NCOIC of the US Army Pistol Team -- one-handed bullseye. Robbie Johnson is a 3-Gun IPSC - Action/Combat competitor. They are NOT on the same team nor do they practice full-time with each other.

The fact they were in the 3rd Ranger Battalion at the same time may have helped.

i felt that the sniper comp should have been limited to only issued guns. while the Tac-Mod stock was pretty cool, i would have liked to see them (the AMU) shoot the issued M24.

It's the AMU's mission to take lessons learned from competition and apply them to fixing Army shortfalls. They shot a 7.62mm M24 last year and won. It's the shooter, not the hardware.

Robb Jensen
04-05-09, 21:07
Jason Saint John is the NCOIC of the US Army Pistol Team -- one-handed bullseye. Robbie Johnson is a 3-Gun IPSC - Action/Combat competitor. They are NOT on the same team nor do they practice full-time with each other.

The fact they were in the 3rd Ranger Battalion at the same time may have helped.

It's the AMU's mission to take lessons learned from competition and apply them to fixing Army shortfalls. They shot a 7.62mm M24 last year and won. It's the shooter, not the hardware.

Well said Sinister. I agree it's the shooter not the hardware, the indian not the arrow, the singer not the song. I wish more people didn't fear the action shooting 'games'. You can shoot or you can't. As someone wise once said "You won't rise to the occasion, you'll default to your level of training".....

chillindrdude
04-05-09, 22:32

it wasn't implying that they won because of the "tac-mod'd" rifle. it's fairly obvious that it is the best shooter/spotter skill and teamwork that wins in a competition like this where everyone has operational experience and have military grade rifles.

it just seemed to me that many of the other teams were using issued guns.

TacticalIntervention
04-07-09, 09:26
I enjoyed watching this. I really like how the comp has gotten more detailed over the years. Love seeing the cops doing well.

Look at how much better the gear is than just ten years ago.

Comments on shooter versus equipment. Issue or hand built makes little difference in right hands.

markm
04-07-09, 09:41
Great show!

Makes me want to relearn how to mil targets.

Dave L.
04-07-09, 09:51
Great show!

Makes me want to relearn how to mil targets.

Is the competition on TV?

markm
04-07-09, 09:57
It's airing every few days on the military channel right now.

Dave L.
04-07-09, 10:02
It's airing every few days on the military channel right now.

:( Maybe I'll get to see reruns in a few months.

Gutshot John
04-07-09, 12:07
:( Maybe I'll get to see reruns in a few months.

Can you go to hulu.com ?

I found this for you.

http://www.hulu.com/search/Top+Sniper?showname=top+sniper+2&sort_by=relevance

Dave L.
04-07-09, 13:56
Can you go to hulu.com ?

I found this for you.

http://www.hulu.com/search/Top+Sniper?showname=top+sniper+2&sort_by=relevance

Hey thank you- hulu wont work, but it automatically forwarded me to the military channel website and all the videos are there.