PDA

View Full Version : Supplements?

LawDog
04-05-09, 17:43
Since a lot of topics come up about supplements where are some of the places you all go for the best price and a good product? Local stores or online? What are some companies to stick with and what are the ones to avoid? Is there one company who makes good products across the board or do I have to mix and match. Comnpany A has good creatine but their BCAA's stink? Also do any of them support LE? I am mostly interested in Whey and Creatine. I have been using some supplements from the vitamin shoppe brand how are these compaired to the name brands? Thanks for the help.

WillBrink
04-06-09, 08:09
Since a lot of topics come up about supplements where are some of the places you all go for the best price and a good product? Local stores or online?

Online is usually cheaper. Places like Bodybuilding.com and many others have big selections and good prices.

What are some companies to stick with

Personally, I tend to use the Life Extension Foundation: www.lef.org

I have done consulting work for them, and other stuff, know the owner, and know their dedication to quality and quality control is very high.

and what are the ones to avoid?

Too many to list...

Is there one company who makes good products across the board or do I have to mix and match.

I probably use the above company for 90% of my needs, but mix and match for things they don't offer. You can see my personal supplement use here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnxjOsT11s&feature=channel_page

Company A has good creatine but their BCAA's stink? Also do any of them support LE?

Directly I dont know, but Labrada Nutrition donated a bunch of product last year to the guys I was working with and plans to donate this year too. Bottom of page is guys:

http://labrada.com/athletescelebrities.shtml

Labrada also makes good products as a rule (which is not an endorsement of any one formula however but a general statement about the company) and an email telling him you decided to use his products because you saw he suported LE via the link above would go a long way I am sure to letting them know supporting LE is good business sense. ;)

WS6
04-06-09, 16:44
Any opinions on the GNC ISO-MASS I posted up about in another thread? have gained 3-4# and about .25" on my arms in 1 week. I know this is not muscle mass but just increased pumps and fluid retention, but it does show that the supplement SEEMS to be doing what it is supposed to.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=191762&catid=59378&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=59378&trxp2=191762&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT

^stats on it

bundoc
04-06-09, 18:08
I have purchased both from bodybuilding.com and bulknutrition.com. Customer service wise they are both great to deal with. Shipping is fast and prices a better than what I can find locally. Search for coupon codes and prices are even better. Not sure if they have discounts for LE.

LawDog
04-07-09, 12:06
Thanks for the help everyone. I am working so I will check those places out on my days off.

WillBrink
04-07-09, 12:12
Any opinions on the GNC ISO-MASS I posted up about in another thread? have gained 3-4# and about .25" on my arms in 1 week. I know this is not muscle mass but just increased pumps and fluid retention, but it does show that the supplement SEEMS to be doing what it is supposed to.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=191762&catid=59378&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=59378&trxp2=191762&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT

^stats on it

Hard to tell from the info supplied at that URL, but the quick gains you made are probably coming mostly from the creatine, which is fine, but straight creatine is much cheaper. Hard to know what the doses of the other stuff is, and personally, I prefer to "roll my own" when it comes to protein drinks and add what I want. You can also get fat from such a product, as that's a lot of cals and carbs to take in.

Al U. 5811
04-07-09, 18:04
www.dpsnutrition.com

WS6
04-07-09, 18:08
Hard to tell from the info supplied at that URL, but the quick gains you made are probably coming mostly from the creatine, which is fine, but straight creatine is much cheaper. Hard to know what the doses of the other stuff is, and personally, I prefer to "roll my own" when it comes to protein drinks and add what I want. You can also get fat from such a product, as that's a lot of cals and carbs to take in.

I am keeping track of my total calorie intake for the day and keeping it at around 3500-ish. This is a bulk phase, not a life-style plan. (I don't have 3 servings a day either. HOLY CRAP!)

I would like to roll my own, but for $60 this has the protein and creatine and seems to be working.

I will post results after 1-2 months of usage (depends on the weight/fat/muscle I am gaining, and how the wallet holds out buying those tubs of powder,lol).

I am hoping to go up to about 190 and then cut back to LOW 180's. Conversely, if that does not happy, a 185 with a cut to 175 would also do it for me.

dbldragon
04-17-09, 22:15
... and when it comes to nutritional supplementation, I've made plenty.

I've spend UNTOLD $$$ on damn near every new supplement that's hit the market, promising that I would be stronger than the Hulk, in less than 2 minutes, without working out, etc...

None of them worked. Unless their only goal was to part this fool with his money, and in that case they performed flawlessly. Bottom line (IMHO): Keep It Stupid, Simple. Protein, a good multivitamin, maybe a joint support formula (if you're a broken-down old S.O.B. like me), Fish Oil, and an amino acid complex and I think you're in good shape. If you're married to the idea of creatine... that's cool, just make sure you're piggybacking it with a simple sugar.

What companies are good/not so good/crap? Again... K.I.S.S. If it comes from a large and reputable company (like G.N.C., Vitamin Shoppe, Puritan's Pride, etc.) it's probably good stuff. So many smaller companies engage in shady practices (like "fairy dusting" and masking their ingredients by calling them simply "proprietary formulas"), you'd be shocked. The bigger companies pay lots of people lots of money to ensure quality control.

Best prices I've found are on the net. Wholsale Superstore is pretty good.

Hope it helps.

LawDog
04-18-09, 09:55
Every little bit helps. I have been doing it wrong for so many years I would finially like to do it right. Hence all the questions.

WillBrink
04-20-09, 08:19
Every little bit helps. I have been doing it wrong for so many years I would finially like to do it right. Hence all the questions.

Here's just some of the supps I cover in my books BTW. What works, what does not, doses, studies, side effects, etc, etc.

Tracer
05-26-09, 21:30
LawDog.......I learned a long time ago, I only put into my body what I 100% know is in front of me. Now if I peel a banana and put it into a glass of milk with berries and some other foods, I know what I am drinking positively.

If I go to a store and purchase a canister of protein or some other powder form food, I don't really have a clue. I must rely on the facts off the carton or box and know one really can say what is in the product. It is like the blind leading the blind and I can usually do things my way much cheaper and get more natural foods into my body.

WS6
05-27-09, 15:28
LawDog.......I learned a long time ago, I only put into my body what I 100% know is in front of me. Now if I peel a banana and put it into a glass of milk with berries and some other foods, I know what I am drinking positively.

If I go to a store and purchase a canister of protein or some other powder form food, I don't really have a clue. I must rely on the facts off the carton or box and know one really can say what is in the product. It is like the blind leading the blind and I can usually do things my way much cheaper and get more natural foods into my body.

+1, but I also rely on things like "Boost" and other drinks/shakes as a time-effective method of managing my nutrition throughout the day.