PDA

View Full Version : AMI Level III computer/briefcase

DocGKR
04-05-09, 19:07
We recently tested the new AMI computer/briefcase. The bag is similar in size and carrying capacity to the classic Eagle AC-1 Attache Case, but the AMI bag has internal MOLLE attachments as well as options for Level IIIa, III, or IV armor, depending on end-user needs. The bag fits laptop computer up to 17 inches in size. The bag is approximately 12”x18”x5”. It has an external bellows flap pocket w/Velcro on the front hiding a full width pistol pocket with a Velcro pistol holster, along with a flush fit full width zip pocket on the backside of the bag. Internally, the bag has 5 rows and 8 columns of PALS webbing for the attachment of MOLLE pouches on one side and on the other side, a half-height, full width zip pocket, padded computer pocket, and hidden slot for armor. The bag is easy to carry, whether walking, riding bicycles, or in vehicles--it easily fits under airline seats.

The version we tested came with a removable 10” x 15” piece of compressed Dyneema armor (as used with the AMI SAPI3 plates), that can be quickly slipped out of the bag and put on over the head to be used as an emergency stand alone front plate, if required in exigent circumstances. Note that the compressed polyethelene also provides floatation for the bag.

We shot the bag from a range of 10 feet, with a 15” computer in the bag. As expected from previous testing of compressed polyethelene armor, 5.56 mm 62 gr M855 “greentip” FMJ completely penetrated the bag and armor. ALL of the following shots were stopped by the armor and contained within the bag:

-- 5 rounds of 5.56 mm 55 gr XM193 FMJ fired from a 16”
-- 5 rounds of 7.62x39mm 123 gr M43 steel core FMJ from a 16” barrel
-- 5 rounds of .308 150 gr Swift Scirroco bonded PT fired from an 18” barrel
-- 5 rounds of .308 168 gr SMK OTM fired from an 18” barrel
-- 5 rounds of 12 ga. Win reduced recoil slugs from an 18” barrel

When completed with the above, we decided to stress the armor a bit more to see if we could reach a failure point, an additional 20 rounds of XM193 were fired into the bag without any perforations of the armor.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/80655-AMIBriefcaseTest.jpg

I don’t want to sound like an ad for AMI, but these guys keep making great products. All in all, this new briefcase is a most impressive piece of life-support equipment suitable for private citizens, LE officers, military personnel, security contractors, or dignitaries needing low profile armor, computer, and discreet handgun carrying capability. I plan on replacing my old Eagle AC-1 with the new AMI bag…

RogerinTPA
04-05-09, 20:37
My Googlefu is weak Doc, got a link?

neodecker
04-05-09, 20:43
I think I found it
http://www.armoredmobility.com/index_files/Page869.htm

DocGKR
04-05-09, 21:48
That is it.