PDA

View Full Version : M&P 40-int lock/mag safety?

PLCedeno
04-05-09, 20:01
Seriously considering getting the M&P 40. Is there any downside to getting it with the internal lock or the magazine safety?

PLCedeno
04-07-09, 17:17
Considering the lack of response-i get the feeling that the possible failure of the internal lock is more of an urban myth and should not be considered a pro or con. Grant told me that its just one more part that could get messed up. I tend to trust what he says but the supply of M&P 40's is limited and i want one. Finally. The only one available in my neck of the woods has an internal lock and mag safety. Should i wait or go for it?

hatt
04-07-09, 18:21
I just bought an M&P9(309301) and didn't even know they made models with the internal lock. I'd defiantly try and find one without the lock even if I had to pay more for it since the idea is so stupid in the first place IMO. I'd go for no mag safety as well.

ToddG
04-08-09, 11:26
I haven't heard of a single instance in which the internal lock has failed.

However, I'm also unaware of any long-term testing by anyone who has an IL gun. In fact, so few people get the IL guns that I'd say the system really hasn't been seriously vetted outside the manufacturer's own testing. I can tell you that Smith is very confident in it, though.

John_Wayne777
04-08-09, 12:03
I haven't heard of a single instance in which the internal lock has failed.

However, I'm also unaware of any long-term testing by anyone who has an IL gun. In fact, so few people get the IL guns that I'd say the system really hasn't been seriously vetted outside the manufacturer's own testing. I can tell you that Smith is very confident in it, though.

As much of a fan of Smith as I am, I am forced to ask this unpleasant question:

Is that the same level of confidence they place in the spontaneously engaging/flagging revolver locks?

firecop019
04-09-09, 03:54
Being a police officer I love the mag safety. If it ever comes to a point where I'm wrestling for that gun I know I can drop the mag and not have it go bang. When I carried my HK I used the safety for the same reason to buy me time to get to the backup.

I can't attest to the internal safety because I don't use it. I tried it a few times on my revolver though and it locks it up tight.

John_Wayne777
04-09-09, 08:39
I can't attest to the internal safety because I don't use it. I tried it a few times on my revolver though and it locks it up tight.

The issue with the revolver locks is that there are documented instances of the lock spontaneously engaging under recoil.

...meaning you are shooting the weapon and the lock engages by itself, locking the gun up tight and turning it into a paper weight. It's been documented on the larger scandium framed revolvers and on multiple J frame revolvers...even on the aluminum J frames like the 442.

firecop019
04-09-09, 08:55
hell, that's not what I wanted to hear. now i understand why there was so much anger over them.

John_Wayne777
04-09-09, 09:42
hell, that's not what I wanted to hear. now i understand why there was so much anger over them.

Darn tootin'.

Thankfully the offending locks can be removed. I only own one "locked" revolver, a S&W 629, and one of the first things I did with that revolver was completely remove the lock mechanism. Yes, it leaves a hole...but I'd rather have the hole than extraneous bits of metal in my revolver that can lock it up.

PLCedeno
04-10-09, 07:10
Is it removable on an M&P?

John_Wayne777
04-10-09, 10:45
Is it removable on an M&P?

A good question. I would assume that it is removable given the modularity the design is built with, although the mere mention of such a thing would probably send the S&W lawyers into a seizure. I don't know for sure, however....

DocGKR
04-10-09, 11:56
I personally will NEVER own a firearm with an internal lock, having seen them fail to function properly on S&W revolvers during quals--the SA 1911 ILS is OK, because it can be removed in about 30 sec...

firecop019
04-11-09, 05:35
I'm not sure if can be removed or not we didn't go over it in the armorers class. Ours doesn't have it because it's a law enforcement model. The hole is in the frame but there is a cap in it instead of the ILS.

So the guns can be had without the safety in them, however I don't know if they are available to the general public. The have them listed on the website so I don't see any reason why not, you just may have to special order it.

firecop019
04-11-09, 07:06
Darn tootin'.

Thankfully the offending locks can be removed. I only own one "locked" revolver, a S&W 629, and one of the first things I did with that revolver was completely remove the lock mechanism. Yes, it leaves a hole...but I'd rather have the hole than extraneous bits of metal in my revolver that can lock it up.

I just located the youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM) for it. It does look pretty easy for the revolver.

PLCedeno
04-11-09, 09:01
Thank you everyone. I found my baby. Typical human behavior-wanting what you cant have. No internal lock or safety. Now i just need to locate some 40 S&W ammo and will be putting her through the passes. I figured instead of debating Glock Vs. M&P why not have both?

Saur
04-11-09, 21:55
The internal lock is the device that prevents the weapon from firing if the magazine is not inserted, right?

John_Wayne777
04-11-09, 22:51
The internal lock is the device that prevents the weapon from firing if the magazine is not inserted, right?

No. That's the magazine safety. The internal lock is a doo-hickey that stops the firing mechanism from working. This is used to render the weapon essentially inert with a "key" so that kids can't hurt themselves with the gun.