PDA

View Full Version : affordable precision upper

newyork
04-06-09, 17:42
is there an affordable precision upper ? i am usually a noveske guy but after planning to buy a ta11 and an optic for a precision rig , i can't spend a ton on an upper that will only be used at the range. i don't want a piece of crap either. maybe 3/4 moa at 100 yds possible from an affordable upper. also, what does everyone think of the super sniper? waste of money?

jakjakman
04-06-09, 17:47
What's your idea of affordable?

seb5
04-06-09, 18:04
If it's simply a range gun and you are concerned primarily with pure accuracy you have options. I've seen many of the kits from the usual suspects with a heavy SS barrel that will shoot under an inch with good match ammo. Get an Olympic even. They shoot little groups. AR's are pretty easy to get to shoot. A decent barrel, light crisp trigger, optics, and good ammo and you have an MOA shooter. Keep in mind that even good shooters with great equipment don't shoot .75 MOA all the time. If they say they do they are liars. With my full custom .308 I am happy with .75 MOA. Anything regularly smaller and the shooting Gods have smiled on me. I have lots of cloverleafs over the years but they still excite me as it's not as easy as the internet says.

Even at 1 MOA with a 5.56 the groups look enormous. Those little bullets just don't look good at .75 MOA. They still look big.

newyork
04-06-09, 18:08
i was thinking rra or stag. i would normally not be buying either one if it were for shtf, 3gun or hd and wanted a larue or noveske precision but i just can't pull it off this time. i was thinking 600-800 dollars.

USMC03
04-06-09, 18:54
If you are trying to achive .75 MOA groups, a TA11 is the wrong optic.

I don't know many shooters capable of that kind of accuracy with a 3.5x optic.

In reference to the Super Sniper....optics are like automobiles.....you get what you pay for.

S/F,
Jeff

newyork
04-06-09, 19:07
Jeff, you misunderstood. the ta11 is for another rifle. you recommended it to me for another setup. i was just saying it was one of the things on my "to buy" list. i was thinking something in the 2.5-10/fixed 10x or a little higher.
i was also looking at WOA uppers.

bullseye
04-06-09, 19:25
try compass lake uppers,,might be a little pricey for you,, they sure as hell will shoot nice little holes.

USMC03
04-06-09, 19:32
Jeff, you misunderstood. the ta11 is for another rifle. you recommended it to me for another setup. i was just saying it was one of the things on my "to buy" list. i was thinking something in the 2.5-10/fixed 10x or a little higher.
i was also looking at WOA uppers.

Gotcha.....sorry for the mis-comm

I had a 18" SPR WOA upper on a competiton gun a couple years ago. Liked it a lot. Only down side was it was a little heavy due to the SPR profile barrel.

S/F,
Jeff

Trumpet
04-07-09, 15:41
I would take a look at the Adco custom cruiser upper. For some reason I find them really slick

ST911
04-07-09, 19:30
As odd as this may sound to some, if you're going for an economy precision upper, you may want to take a look at a barrel from Olympic Arms. The best shooting standard production barrel I've ever shot, and the cheapest to boot, was a 16" OA, as were several others.

The Tasco SS can be okay. I'd look at an entry-level Leupold though, unless the SS had reticle options you preferred.

CAVEAT: All these items recommended for sport/rec use ONLY.