PDA

View Full Version : A couple of grip questions

faithmyeyes
04-07-09, 11:53
I have an LMT rifle on order, which will come with an Ergo grip. For those of you who have experience with LMTs configured this way from the factory, how do you like it? Does LMT's Ergo setup come with the "Gapper" that you get if you buy an Ergo aftermarket?

My only experience is with an A2 grip and the "Duckbill" grip, both of which feel a little thin in my hand. From using the A2, I know the "finger-eating gap" will be a problem for me without some mitigating solution.

Although my intent is to take rob_s's advice and go shoot the gun (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658) before I spend any money on modifications, I'm fairly certain I'll put something like the Magpul enlarged/enhanced trigger guard on the rifle before winter comes again. I've heard that the Magpul guard solves the "gap" problem by itself... but I've also heard that it only does so if coupled with the MIAD. Which is true?

jhs1969
04-07-09, 12:39
I have an LMT rifle on order, which will come with an Ergo grip. For those of you who have experience with LMTs configured this way from the factory, how do you like it? Does LMT's Ergo setup come with the "Gapper" that you get if you buy an Ergo aftermarket?

My only experience is with an A2 grip and the "Duckbill" grip, both of which feel a little thin in my hand. From using the A2, I know the "finger-eating gap" will be a problem for me without some mitigating solution.

Although my intent is to take rob_s's advice and go shoot the gun (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658) before I spend any money on modifications, I'm fairly certain I'll put something like the Magpul enlarged/enhanced trigger guard on the rifle before winter comes again. I've heard that the Magpul guard solves the "gap" problem by itself... but I've also heard that it only does so if coupled with the MIAD. Which is true?

My LMT came with the ERGO grip, yes it comes with the gapper, at least mine did. I personally did not like the ERGO grip at all, but many people do. In my hand it does not feel thicker in width but longer in length. It gave me a few problems in manipluating the safety selector, switching the selector from safe to fire was slower and less postive and it was even more akward for me to switch from fire to safe. Again this is MY observation, as I said ealier, many people like but I do not.

I belive I am a bit unusual compared to most here, as I love the A2 grip and installed the A2 on my LMT in place of the ERGO. I have owned over 20 different AR types and have gotten so used to the A2 that anything else just does not feel right to ME.

I have zero experience with the Magpul grip or trigger guard.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p427/jhs1969/100_1702_edited-1.jpg

markm
04-07-09, 12:52

I've suffered with this problem in some classes too. What I've found is that it's more of a receiver problem than the grip. Some receivers have the hole for the role pin higher into the lower than others. On lowers with the hole located in a good spot the gap doesn't kill my finger.

sapper36
04-07-09, 18:05
My LMT had the Ergo grip and I hated it. It is very small for me, I would say I have medium hands at 6'2". It felt thiner than the A2 grip so I went with the MAID using the biggest inserts it comes with. If you order the "full" then you can swap out the inserts and get a very good grip depending on your hands and how you want it to feel.

Avenger29
04-07-09, 21:28
My LMT has an Ergo grip. I don't like it. Too sticky. I tolerate it for now, but will be replacing it soon, probably with a MIAD grip...

I have noticed that it is awkward to flip the selector to safe as noted above. It's also narrow...and I really don't like the finger grooves. I'd really rather have an A2 grip, but at least I know now that I don't like the Ergo grip.

thopkins22
04-07-09, 21:41
As has been said, the LMT lowers come with a gapper. I don't really like the Ergo grip. It was a better fit for me than the A2, but not ideal...mainly I didn't like the tackiness. I'd try it before you order something else, as everyone's body is built slightly different, and it might be the best solution for you.

The Magpul trigger guard does not need a Magpul grip to eliminate the gap. Because it doesn't fold, it extends further to the rear than the standard guard.

I think what you heard regarding the MIAD was that if you bought the full kit, you can remove the stock guard and use the included front piece that replaces the trigger guard altogether.

Failure2Stop
04-07-09, 23:19
I don't really mind the "feel" of the Ergo, but I don't like the position it puts my thumb in relation to the selector.

I prefer a MIAD with the small backstrap and flat front. This is comfortable for me with or without gloves and puts my thumb in my favored position. I have medium sized hands (according to my gloves at least).
The A2 also works if I grind off the bump.