PDA

View Full Version : What made you buy your M4 and not a CAR?

lovemyM4
04-07-09, 21:43
What made you go with the M4 over the CAR?

Me, I actually wanted the CAR but at that time all that was available to me was the M4. I originaly intended to get the CAR so I could mock Hoot's carbine (from black hawk down) but now that M203 cut just does something for me even though I have no desire to install a M203 (yeah, I'm a bit strange and you guy will come to see this in due time LOL)

So what were your guys reasons?

thanks,
Dan

LOKNLOD
04-07-09, 21:59
Assuming the main difference between a "CAR" and "M4" is the carry handle vs. flat-top upper, then the flat-top upper is probably the main reason. Other than nostalgia, there's little to no reason to get a carry handled upper if there's a flat top upper available.

lovemyM4
04-07-09, 22:23
Assuming the main difference between a "CAR" and "M4" is the carry handle vs. flat-top upper, then the flat-top upper is probably the main reason. Other than nostalgia, there's little to no reason to get a carry handled upper if there's a flat top upper available.
I thought the difference was the M203 cut, learn something everyday.

warpigM-4
04-07-09, 22:29
I had two CAR model in the past,but was trained by the Army with the M4 ,I really liked what the platform had to offer,Flat top for Optics ,smaller size ,and I shot very well with it.so with the Knowledge the Army gave me ,My needs for what I wanted my weapon for and how easy it was to add to this platform I went with the M4..............................................................................................................................................................................THEN !!!I saw Rob's chart started selling some parts I had ,Bought a few pieces that match "The Chart"spec for what I thought I need and I think I have a good go to gun .Thanks ROB!!

exkc135driver
04-08-09, 01:53
I bought a CAR (XM177 clone) back in the mid-80s. At that time the M4 was not even a gleam in the Army's eye ...

thedog
04-08-09, 02:31
It was easily available, looked like a "shorty" (which I always liked the look of) and I wanted an AR THEN! That DAY! Wish I had an old Colt 20" A1 still...

dog

rob_s
04-08-09, 06:24
My first question was going to be "what's the difference?" These terms get tossed around so much that the line seems to have gotten rather blurry. To me, a CAR is a Colt 6520 and an M4 is a 6920.

I actually bought two 6520s and then changed one out to a flattop upper, so I don't know if that makes it a CAR or an M4. :D

seb5
04-08-09, 07:30
Although there are many other things that make an M-4 an M-4 I think you're just asking about the carry handle vs. flattop. To me if you're old school and will never use optics then get a carry handle model. If function takes precedence over form, then get a flat top model. I personally don't own a carry handle model and see no reason to, again for me. If you like the carry handle model, get what you like. Or just get one of each, or 2!

lovemyM4
04-08-09, 16:36
Or just get one of each, or 2!
problem solved:D