PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Trigger Guard Question...?

CobraBG
04-08-09, 07:09
I want to get the Magpul trigger guard for my 6920. I already have their MOE grip.

My question is... Which is a better choice, the version with 2 allen head cap screws from Ranier Arms or the standard with the roll pins? :confused: Once installed it seems to only be an appearance thing. I'll admit though I like the Rainier Arms version and it is only $10 more. Who has used which and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

seb5
04-08-09, 07:23
Since I've never opened the trigger guard for winter shooting it doesn't matter. I've got both and didn't realize it until the install. Currently, you take what you can get. To me it's a non issue. One opens up, the other doesn't. If you want it to function like the original get the one without the allen.

Robb Jensen
04-08-09, 07:25
I have only the original roll pin style. I don't care about the looks and it functions just fine.

CobraBG
04-08-09, 07:29
Yeah, with the extra clearance I can't see needing to open the trigger guard ever. I guess for the extra $10 I'm liking the look over the roll pins. Any other comments?

CobraBG
04-08-09, 08:24
Ok never mind... after some thought I've decided to get the standard with the roll pins. Other than looking "cool" the allen head cap screws don't do anything and I guess they could always come loose at the wrong time (even with locktite). Function over beauty everytime!

I guess if I had just thought more about it I wouldn't have needed to start this thread... sorry folks. :rolleyes:

RussellAthletic
04-08-09, 08:49
Maybe it was my problem, but installing my Magpul TG was a pain in the ass. I seriously had to whack at that roll pin for some time. Had I known it was going to be this hard I would have picked up the Ranier one. The whole time I was installing the guard I kept asking myself why did they used a roll pin versus two hex screws or something else easier.

comp1911
04-08-09, 13:19
I do the mods for Rainier.

I designed the button head version to eliminate having to drive in the roll pin on new builds, nothing to do with looks but it looks pretty good too. :D

I don't think there would be any issue with them coming loose if some loctite is used.

Thomas M-4
04-08-09, 17:07
Can I order just the pan head screws from rainier?
My magpul grip they forgot to send the T.G. pin and I am having a hard time finding
something local.

comp1911
04-09-09, 09:34
Can I order just the pan head screws from rainier?
My magpul grip they forgot to send the T.G. pin and I am having a hard time finding
something local.

Has the guard been helicoiled or not?

CobraBG
04-09-09, 15:29
Today I ordered the Magpul enhanced trigger guard. I just hope I don't have to beat on it to hard to get the roll pins in. Thanks for the replies. :cool:

Dave L.
04-09-09, 15:41
Today I ordered the Magpul enhanced trigger guard. I just hope I don't have to beat on it to hard to get the roll pins in. Thanks for the replies. :cool:

It's a simple task, just make sure you have something under the "ears" on the lower. Otherwise you can bend the shit out of them when you are pounding in the rear pin.

FWIW, I have put 7 of them on my personal guns. You will be happy you got one.

ROADKING
04-09-09, 15:54
Just be careful you dont break the ears off, Put something under it and put masking tape all around the trigger guard to keep from scratching it in case the hammer slips.

CobraBG
04-09-09, 15:56
It's a simple task, just make sure you have something under the "ears" on the lower. Otherwise you can bend the shit out of them when you are pounding in the rear pin.

FWIW, I have put 7 of them on my personal guns. You will be happy you got one.

Thanks, that's what I 've heard... support the ears and do it carefully. So you've done it 7 times, does that mean you have 7 AR's? I've only got 2. :D

CobraBG
04-09-09, 15:58
Just be careful you dont break the ears off, Put something under it and put masking tape all around the trigger guard to keep from scratching it in case the hammer slips.

Excellent point, I plan to use some tape to protect against scratches. Thanks. :)

NSR500
04-10-09, 03:30
The primary difference I see between the 2 versions on Rainier are:

1. The screw in type saves your from the chance of breaking the ears off.

2. The screw in type does add a nice look to the gun.

The only Con I could envision is if you don't threadlock the screw in type. If you shoot a lot a screw "might" back out, and that's a big "might" since it is kinda out of the way of most moving parts.