PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Jacket by Arcteryx

mildot
04-08-09, 07:27
Any troops able to give a comparison to the TAD product?
Overall impressions if you own one? was it a good investment?

YVK
04-08-09, 11:32
I am too tired to hook you up with a link, but if you search military moron's website http://www.militarymorons.com/, you can find a nice review. Based on my experience with Arc'Teryx and MM's review, I ordered one 2 days ago, but I won't have it for three-four weeks.

In2Deep
04-08-09, 11:48
I have a Bravo in Crocodile. I like the fit and sleeve length a lot. I have had TAD jackets in the past, but have since sold them off after switching to the Arc'teryx and Mountain Hardwear lines.

The Bravo is constructed very well and all of the seams appear straight. The fit is slim, but with enough room in the shoulders for my build. It has enough flex in it for a good range of motion.

It seems to breathe well.

I dont buy into the lovefest with TAD gear that some folks have, but they do make a decent product. If anything, I think availability will have the biggest impact in your decision.

Cameron
04-08-09, 12:10
I can't speak to the TAD Gear, but I have 3 ArcTeryx softshells and a hardshell and it's my experience that they make some of the best, if not the best, technical/combat shells on the market. Excellent customer service too.

Cameron

mildot
04-08-09, 12:10
So what if you have a 40ish, middle age build?
I like a "relaxed" fit, with the ability to have some freedom of movement.

Cameron
04-08-09, 12:12
Get a larger than usual size as the ArcTeryx fit is for an athletic build, slim through the waist, you can try ArcTeryx sizes for fit at a local outdoor gear store, local to me several companies offer the civilian equivalent jackets and the sizing is the same.

This is the Civi version
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/camz_pics/Misc/Gamma-SV-Jacket-Crocodile.jpg

This is the LEAF Version
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/camz_pics/Misc/LEAFBravo-Jacket.jpg

Only real difference is the pockets on the sleeves.

Cameron

Irish
04-08-09, 12:57
I'm not sure of all the differences but their Combat Jacket looks pretty similar and will save you quite a bit of money over the Bravo.

militarymoron
04-08-09, 14:59
the bravo is lightly insulated; the combat is not. the combat jacket can be likened to a weather-resistant BDU top (which it was designed as).

Cold Zero
04-08-09, 20:35
I have many items from Arc Teryx, Fleece shirts, gloves, jackets, shells, pants, hats, knee pads, etc. The garments are an athletic cut and they are , lightweight well designed and well constructed pieces of kit. Their stuff is of the highest quality and can be compared to Patagonia, Mtn. Hardware, Marmot or any other high end mountaineering wear. MHO

Abraxas
04-08-09, 20:42
(which it was designed as).

This is as important as anything when deciding on the quality or use of a product. There are many products that I have heard others complain about because they were using it for what they wanted and did not realize that it did not perform well because their use was not what it was designed for. Off topic sorry, just popped into my head and I had to type it :D

mpardun
04-08-09, 22:34
I personally love my '07 & '08 Arcteryx gear (Canadian made).

Since Addidas bought them, they shifted most production to China...sorry, but I do not think I will be buying $400-$600 Chinese made gear, sorry. Mountain HW, Patagonia, Northface for 1/2 the price.

Great design...historically best in class quality, sorry - very disappointing - bait & switch.

clynch
04-09-09, 09:13
I have several Arcteryx jackets, including the Bravo, and used to have a TAD softshell... The TAD is a great jacket, especially for the price point, but for overall fit, finish, and quality of construction my nod goes to Arcteryx.

One thing I was disappointed in is that the TAD shell I bought had no liner to speak of - I'm not sure if this is true for all their softshells or just the model I had. In this regard, the TAD was actually closer to the Arcteryx Combat jacket (no liner; as MM pointed out above). TAD has also discontinued their non hood-equipped shells - since I rarely roll with a hood that makes it even less likely that I would purchase another TAD jacket.

Lastly, the Bravo jacket from Arcteryx is part of the LEAF line - and is made in Canada along with most other LEAF products. The civilian / non-LEAF version - the Gamma SV (now the Gamma AR) might or might not be made in China depending on vintage.

Hope this helps,
Clint

militarymoron
04-09-09, 09:30
One thing I was disappointed in is that the TAD shell I bought had no liner to speak of - I'm not sure if this is true for all their softshells or just the model I had. In this regard, the TAD was actually closer to the Arcteryx Combat jacket (no liner; as MM pointed out above).

you probably got the shark skin i'm guessing? if so, that was designed as a very lightweight shell for layering over base layers, hence the lack of liner. TAD has other softshells that are lined with fleece similar to the bravo, that provide more warmth. different garments for different intentions, just like the bravo vs. combat. hope that helps - you just might be using it for a purpose other than what it was designed for. ;)

clynch
04-09-09, 09:44
you probably got the shark skin i'm guessing? if so, that was designed as a very lightweight shell for layering over base layers, hence the lack of liner. TAD has other softshells that are lined with fleece similar to the bravo, that provide more warmth. different garments for different intentions, just like the bravo vs. combat. hope that helps - you just might be using it for a purpose other than what it was designed for. ;)

Yes, it was the shark skin... I know what you mean about intended purposes - however the lack of a liner was not listed in the specifications at the time I ordered the jacket. I remember looking through specs for some of their other jackets and not being able to get a clear sense of which jackets were lined and which were not - of course, the same can be said for several other retailer's websites.

militarymoron
04-09-09, 10:15
LOL - you shoulda checked my review if i had it up on my site at that time. :)

i actually just shot TAD an email, suggesting they compile the info on all the different softshell materials they've used, including discontinued models, with the material weights, specs, lined/unlined and attributes, so people can have a better idea of what the differences are. i get emails a lot, from people asking me that, but i can only answer if i have the garment. also, some people have older TAD models as their only reference, which is why i think the discontinued models should be included.
you're absolutely right though - TAD updates and introduces their models on a regular basis so it's hard to keep track or know what the differences are. i know i can't keep track. just a material brand name isn't descriptive enough to tell the customer what he's buying. that's one of the reasons why i started my site years ago - i found most manufacturer descriptions lacking the information needed for me to make an informed decision, so i do my writeups to help answer these questions.

KevinB
04-09-09, 12:13
I have a Bravo jacket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/USMCCampPendleton052.jpg

I like Arc'teryx gear a lot.

My only wish is they would add the drawnstrings into the pockets like 5.11 does. Exposed drawstrings pick all sorts of things - like triggers...

Tzoid
11-06-10, 00:21
I recently bought a Arc'Teryx Bravo Jacket in Crocodile and I have to say it's the best built jacket I own. The Athletic fit is really nice and at 5'11" 215lbs the XL fits me perfectly. My sleeve length is 35-36 and this jacket is right on the money. Made in Britsh Columbia Canada.

I just ordered a Arc'Teryx Combat Jacket from site sponsor Grey Group and they gave me a 15% discount for being a M4 Carbine member so if you want a top end piece of kit I strongly endorse Arc'Teryx and Grey Group.

tactical221
11-11-10, 22:29
I have the alpha and bravo in croc. You can't go wrong. They are good pieces of gear.

Tzoid
11-11-10, 23:22
I like Arc'teryx gear a lot.

My only wish is they would add the drawnstrings into the pockets like 5.11 does. Exposed drawstrings pick all sorts of things - like triggers...[/QUOTE]

FYI,

The Combat jacket has the drawstrings in the pockets...but it's non insulated so not like the Bravo Jacket